When does an 'old boat' become a 'classic yacht'?

14K478

Visit site
Perhaps classic should be used as an adjective and not a noun.

There are many classic designs, there are classic rigs, there are classic layouts and classic builds and finishes. And then there are designs in which people did, or do, classic things (Lively Lady, Gipsy Moth, Mischief).
Good idea

14K478

Visit site
That makes this a classic.

View attachment 164925
And she is in her own way, She's no ocean greyhound, but she and her ilk have brought sailing to 1000s of people who could who could never afford a boat the Royal Yacht Squadron would approve of.
A boat the RYS did approve of, after I had sold her.

“Classic”? or just “nice old gaff cutter”?

I thought she was the latter; nobody wanted her, and I could just afford her, but that was forty years ago. These days she is kept in the style that she was accustomed to in her youth, before WW2…

The dear old thing has yet again found herself the right owner.

Last edited:

14K478

Visit site
A “classic”, down on her luck.

This is Woodbridge Ferry Dock soon after the War, and the long white thing with overhangs, taking up the whole of the Ferry Quay, is the Fife 19 metre “Mariquita”.

Yes, the “Mariquita”!

A houseboat.

I’ve just spotted that the gaff yawl moored stern-to the end of the quay, on the right of the picture, is the “Dusmarie”.

Last edited:

Bajansailor

Visit site

I thought she was the latter; nobody wanted her, and I could just afford her, but that was forty years ago. These days she is kept in the style that she was accustomed to in her youth, before WW2…

Mirelle was looking very fine under your ownership Andrew and you maintained her well, no doubt on a fraction of her current maintenance budget for paid hands!

Walkabout of Perth is a near sistership to Mirelle - same hull design, but Walkabout has a ketch rig and a transom stern, rather than a counter -
Ship WALKABOUT OF PERTH (Pleasure Craft) Registered in United Kingdom - Vessel details, Current position and Voyage information - IMO 0, MMSI 235024493, Call Sign MHEZ2

I would definitely say that both Mirelle and Walkabout are classics.

Daydream believer

Visit site
A Stella has been mentioned above among the Kim Holman designed yachts. The Stella was , I believe , one of the first proper large post war Uk fleet designs. there were over 100 built. Mine were nos 103 & No 104
Never made a running flush
My current Hanse 311 sails faster, is bigger, has more room & is better in virtually all respects
BUT.
My first Stella . No 104 had such fantastic sailing qualities - size for size- that it far out sailed my Hanse. It tracked better, It hove too easily. The helm was so lovely that one wanted to helm. My Hanse is now on its 7Th autohelm or autohelm part & needs anAries in heavy weather. I cannot leave the helm for one second as it is off course & behaves like a racehorse.
Richard Mathews- Of Oyster fame- could have sailed any Oyster he wanted. But for one Burnham week he chose his dad's old Stella, "Scorpio", to sail with his family. Why? Because it was so nice to sail. He said that he often went for a short sail in it. He is now up to something like Oystercatcher 35. But I bet none of the 35 sailed like his dad's Stella

I do not want to go back to a Stella, having had 2. I can still recall the bruises it gave me in a blow & the times I hit my head inside. However, if one asked me which one would ever class as a classic, then I would, without doubt put my pretty wooden Stella up as MILES in front of my lovely Hanse.

Last edited:

DoubleEnder

Visit site
I’m relieved to find that in 53 years of sailing I have never owned a classic.

I have resolutely bought whatever was unfashionable and relatively cheap.

This wasn’t a classic; I drew and made this rig for her in 1977, so too late for the cut off of 1974:

Every time you post this photo I come dangerously closer to buying an HB. Stop it please

Plum

Visit site
Is that a Heard 28? Gorgeous boat, I want one! And definitely a classic on several counts - firstly the hull and rig are directly derived from west country working boats; secondly designed by Percy Dalton, who drew many classic wooden yachts; and thirdly well proven for their seaworthiness, comfortable motion and (for the type) speed.
Mine is a Heard 23 Falmouth Working Boat. Sorry but not for sale. 😁

Frogmogman

Visit site
A boat the RYS did approve of, after I had sold her.

The dear old thing has yet again found herself the right owner.
Are the white trousers obligatory in the squadron ?

14K478

Visit site
“That’s above my pay grade!”

I’m not a member!

But I dimly recall from reading one of Maldwin Drummond’s books that Augustine Courtauld got into hot water over some sort of white trousers issue; can’t remember if he was wearing them when he should not have been, or if he was not wearing them when he should have been.

Stemar

Visit site
“That’s above my pay grade!”

I’m not a member!

But I dimly recall from reading one of Maldwin Drummond’s books that Augustine Courtauld got into hot water over some sort of white trousers issue; can’t remember if he was wearing them when he should not have been, or if he was not wearing them when he should have been.
Which explains why, in the exceedingly unlikely event that they asked me to join, I'd say no. I got told off for having a hat on in the bar of the Island Sailing Club when we were there to collect a trophy, so they're off my list too.

dunedin

Visit site
Oh goody, we can start a “trouser etiquette” thread - or drift - as a change from flag etiquette.
As somebody who has neither, can somebody explain when one should wear white trousers vs red/pink ones ?
Oh, and what is a “blazer”.
I do understand that a straw boater is only required for Henley boating.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Oh goody, we can start a “trouser etiquette” thread - or drift - as a change from flag etiquette.
As somebody who has neither, can somebody explain when one should wear white trousers vs red/pink ones ?
The Wales film archive have some amateur footage from the late 1920's early 30's, of racing in Menai Straits, some of the competitors are wearing white trousers, blazers and Breton caps. I seem to remember one is even smoking a pipe. Bfi player 'Racing on the Menai Straits'
I am sure other film archives will have similar examples.

Last edited:

Frogmogman

Visit site

😂 The annual coupe de porquerolles regatta is a joint effort between the Yacht Club de France (closest equivalent to the squadron, clubhouse in Avenue Foche), who are definitely blazer and tie merchants, and the YC de Porquerolles, who are firmly in the shorts and T shirt, merguez on the BBQ and plastic goblets of Côtes du Rhône camp. It makes for a delicious juxtaposition.

Last edited:

14K478

Visit site
On the 26th September 1983 I flew from London to New York. This meant that I would be in mid air during the last race for the America’s Cup. A friend was due to meet me and since we both mess about in boats we put $10 on the outcome.

John met me and after dropping my bags at my hotel he drove me to the NYYC Clubhouse, bought me dinner at his club, showed me the Model Room and paid me the ten dollars over the head of the bolt where the Auld Mug wasn’t.

The atmosphere in the club was funereal, brightened for us by the lady wife of a member asking her husband (and I’m not making this up!) “Where is Australia?”

Forty years on we both still mess about in boats and we are both still friends.

Frogmogman

Visit site
On the 26th September 1983 I flew from London to New York. This meant that I would be in mid air during the last race for the America’s Cup. A friend was due to meet me and since we both mess about in boats we put $10 on the outcome.

John met me and after dropping my bags at my hotel he drove me to the NYYC Clubhouse, bought me dinner at his club, showed me the Model Room and paid me the ten dollars over the head of the bolt where the Auld Mug wasn’t.

The atmosphere in the club was funereal, brightened for us by the lady wife of a member asking her husband (and I’m not making this up!) “Where is Australia?”

Forty years on we both still mess about in boats and we are both still friends.

Who can forget the way the NYYC hung Dennis Connor out to dry ? They always said that if the cup were lost, it’s place on the plinth would be filled with the head of the skipper who lost it.

I’m sure I wasn’t alone in being pleased for him when he won it under the burgee of San Diego Yacht Club.

newtothis

Visit site
The Wales film archive have some amateur footage from the late 1920's early 30's, of racing in Menai Straits, some of the competitors are wearing white trousers, blazers and Breton caps. I seem to remember one is even smoking a pipe. Bfi player 'Racing on the Menai Straits'
I am sure other film archives will have similar examples.
There is some great post-war cycle touring footage on YouTube of people riding in suits/ties too. My old man (born 1930s) wore a tie or cravat till his dying day. Athleisurewear wasn't really a thing back then.

johnalison

Visit site
There is some great post-war cycle touring footage on YouTube of people riding in suits/ties too. My old man (born 1930s) wore a tie or cravat till his dying day. Athleisurewear wasn't really a thing back then.
I have a photo somewhere of one of my two mates' shirt and tie hanging up to dry after he fell in during a Broads trip in 1962. As you say, dedicated leisurewear wasn't usual then. A sports jacket would do for most of us, and even the school mac.

srm

Visit site
As we have drifted a long way from classic boats, in the 60's I used to cycle in a none competitive way, up to 100 miles a day, wearing my everyday casual/college clothes. Nowadays it seems that anyone going further than the local shops seems to need full MAMIL regalia (middle aged male in lycra) or the female equivalent. Looking almost as silly as the walkers on gentle country paths and lanes with their ski sticks.