When does an 'old boat' become a 'classic yacht'?

newtothis

Visit site
Ski sticks, or hiking poles, enable me with my two fractured vertebrae and severe osteoarthritis, to keep walking for longer distances than I could possibly manage otherwise.

So don't sneer at me you stupid juvenile prat!

Who the hell do you think you are, eh?

If you were even half a man, you'd apologise for what you wrote.
“For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?”

srm

Visit site
Ski sticks, or hiking poles, enable me with my two fractured vertebrae and severe osteoarthritis, to keep walking for longer distances than I could possibly manage otherwise.

So don't sneer at me you stupid juvenile prat!

Who the hell do you think you are, eh?

If you were even half a man, you'd apologise for what you wrote.
I am well aware of the reason and correct use of hiking poles, which is why I find the limp wrist affectations by so many people sauntering along amusing. They have the kit without understanding its use, and probably do not need it. It is also obvious from posture and movement when they are being used to relieve pressure on the lower limbs. I certainly would not sneer at someone such as yourself using them as intended.

If we were to exchange birth dates you may well find that I am in fact the senior. I apologise for having upset you so.

Poignard

Visit site
I am well aware of the reason and correct use of hiking poles, which is why I find the limp wrist affectations by so many people sauntering along amusing. It is also obvious from posture and movement when they are being used to relieve pressure on the lower limbs. I certainly would not sneer at someone such as yourself using them as intended.

If we were to exchange birth dates you may well find that I am in fact the senior. I apologise for having upset you so.
Fair enough. I apologise for overreacting. I will delete my unnecessarily offensive post above.

Last edited:
Reactions: srm

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Personally, I think buying an old yacht that's in sailing condition is worth doing, if you can find one you like.

Sail in the summer and do the big projects in the winter.

Exactly what I've been doing these last 2 years.

This Winter, I'll be replacing the fridge.

And that should be it - unless something breaks.

srm

Visit site
Personally, I think buying an old yacht that's in sailing condition is worth doing, if you can find one you like.

Sail in the summer and do the big projects in the winter.
That was my first cruising boat in the early 70's and another four since. Only way to afford a boat that was bigger than my income should support. Took around three years to get everything the way I wanted it, then just upgrade kit as appropriate.

I also had a 50ft decommissioned MFV, used as a work boat, but sold it on after a couple of years as I realised it was too big a project for me to convert to a sailing yacht.

Last edited:

benjenbav

Visit site
There is some great post-war cycle touring footage on YouTube of people riding in suits/ties too. My old man (born 1930s) wore a tie or cravat till his dying day. Athleisurewear wasn't really a thing back then.
Quite often, various items of apparel were adopted for a genuine purpose. Sometimes things have moved on and the purpose is better served by some other means. Horse riders often wear a stock, even though - these days - there are better (if less smart) neck protectors.