When does an 'old boat' become a 'classic yacht'?

B27

Visit site
designed and built Pre 1974.

Surely that is tautology. Built pre 74 would surely be enough for your criteria (I assume no classic is designed after it is built!)

I also presume that this specific magic date is related to your age and private prejudices :)
Maybe some would argue that some true 'classics' were built without having been 'designed'?

jamie N

Visit site
Mine's a 1964 'Classic wooden Folkboat', and it's been on my driveway for a day. I've been thinking that I'll launch her in April, so about 6 months from now.
Already I'm feeling that time's against me as I've got 'potential' rot in the sternpost, this is before thinking about the usual varnishing and paint stuff, stuffing box refurb and making a new self steering vane (Wave Rover).
That qualifies STAKKR as a classic. I don't feel the same towards a Marieholm Folkboat; same boat, different issues entirely.
I don't necessarily believe that it's only a classic when it's a PITA to maintain, but it's an element.
Think of 'Genevieve'.

Last edited:

MisterBaxter

Visit site
Is that a Heard 28? Gorgeous boat, I want one! And definitely a classic on several counts - firstly the hull and rig are directly derived from west country working boats; secondly designed by Percy Dalton, who drew many classic wooden yachts; and thirdly well proven for their seaworthiness, comfortable motion and (for the type) speed.

ylop

Visit site
It becomes classic at the point when a used boat is purchased for its characteristics (whether aesthetic, sailing, hostoric) rather than because it’s what the buyer can afford. Essentially you pay some sort of premium over other boats in a similar condition that don’t tick that magic “classic” box in the buyer’s head.

14K478

Visit site
It becomes classic at the point when a used boat is purchased for its characteristics (whether aesthetic, sailing, hostoric) rather than because it’s what the buyer can afford. Essentially you pay some sort of premium over other boats in a similar condition that don’t tick that magic “classic” box in the buyer’s head.

I’m relieved to find that in 53 years of sailing I have never owned a classic.

I have resolutely bought whatever was unfashionable and relatively cheap.

This wasn’t a classic; I drew and made this rig for her in 1977, so too late for the cut off of 1974:

Last edited:

38mess

Visit site
When I bought my Eventide over 30 years ago the vendor had it advertised as a classic boat even though it was only 10 years old. He explained that the cutter rig and tan sails put it in the classic boat slot. He was also selling it for a classic boat price, I managed to get him to see sense and got the price down quite a lot.

Bajansailor

Visit site
The Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta web page
Home - Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta
has an interesting definition of a classic yacht -

"To be eligible for the Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta, entries re to have a full keel, be of moderate to heavy displacement, built of wood or steel, and be of traditional rig and appearance. Old craft restored using modern materials such as epoxy or glass sheathing, or new craft built along the lines of an old design, are acceptable. Vessels built of ferrocement may be accepted if they have a gaff or traditional schooner rig. Fibreglass yachts must have a long keel with a keel-hung rudder and be a descendent of a wooden hull design."

"Yachts not fitting into the above categories may nevertheless apply, providing documents, photographs or drawings to support their request for entry in the Spirit of Tradition or Modern Classic classes. Modern Classics are monohulls built of any material, with a modern underwater profile, such as fin & skeg, & designed pre-1988 – will be limited number accepted. All entries unknown to the Regatta committee must be accompanied by underwater and rig photographs or drawings, and are subject to approval by the Committee, whose decision is final."

Praxinoscope

Visit site
#36 my old Invicta 26 would have met the criteria, but my present Sadler 25 wouldn't, as even under the additional regs' she has the skeg and slung rudder but bilge keels rather than fin.

Poignard

Visit site
Round these parts, the saying goes ‘there‘s nothing naffer than a plastic gaffer’. A bit harsh, and rather sweeping, but is there an element of truth?
It's a silly saying.

If you wish to own a gaff-rigged yacht, and there are perfectly good reasons for so wishing, without the drawbacks of a wooden hull, you are going to have to buy a yacht with a GRP, ferro or steel hull.

newtothis

Visit site
It's a silly saying.

If you wish to own a gaff-rigged yacht, and there are perfectly good reasons for so wishing, without the drawbacks of a wooden hull, you are going to have to buy a yacht with a GRP, ferro or steel hull.
But as Pete Goss showed with Oddity, you can make modern gaff rigger without making it an ersatz copy of something that should be helmed by someone wearing a smock and a Breton cap.

Supertramp

Visit site
Perhaps classic should be used as an adjective and not a noun.

There are many classic designs, there are classic rigs, there are classic layouts and classic builds and finishes. And then there are designs in which people did, or do, classic things (Lively Lady, Gipsy Moth, Mischief).