When does a life jacket needs replacing?

SvenH

Visit site
I test our life jackets each season, weigh the canisters and replace the expired parts if needed.
But when do the jackets themselves needs replacing?

Do the bladders deteriorate over time?
Do the straps degrade due to UV? etc...

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
No they don't expire in so far as the OEM will include a replace by date of the lifejacket, except for component parts as you note.

It has been stated on here that bladders have split at the fold lines and threaded seams have come undone. Also reported that the coating inside the lifejacket has separated from the fabric. Straps will fail due to UV and plastic buckles will deteriorate and become brittle and lose strength.

I changed out 2 x lifejackets at 10 years as they looked worn out but still worked as expected.

If you have doubts, take them to a service centre and have them inspect and test for you, or just replace if a lower cost lifejacket.

Refueler

Visit site
If you test and all stay up for over 12hrs .... you pull and twist covers / webbing etc and all good ... then what's problem.

Some people say 10yrs and bin ... but that's their decision. Of course cost per year is small when consider this.

I have 3 inflatables that are well over 10yrs ... and still in good condition ... I have bouyancy vests as well .. one is over 20yrs and still good ...

I have a bunch of bouyancy vests passed to me by a neighbour who bought a Mobo ... they are only about 5yrs old and disgusting !! fabric is not only dirty - lord knows where they were stowed - but rotted in places.

My point is age is not actually an issue ... its how you have kept / stowed / used them.

Stemar

Visit site
Two of my LJs are now 17 years old. I've just serviced them and they stayed up for 36 hours (got busy with something else) and the innards. straps, etc look perfect. I've ordered replacements, thinking I'd get rid of them, but given the condition, I'm going to keep them as spares.

While I don't recommend using out of date bits, I once serviced a friend's LJs, and the cartridges were seven years past their date. Each went off with a satisfying pop when I dropped them into a bowl of water.

I did keep an eye on said friend's maintenance after that, He was a lovely bloke, but really didn't know one end of a screwdriver from the other.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Two of my LJs are now 17 years old. I've just serviced them and they stayed up for 36 hours (got busy with something else) and the innards. straps, etc look perfect. I've ordered replacements, thinking I'd get rid of them, but given the condition, I'm going to keep them as spares.
Spares?? :unsure:
They are either OK or they are not. If someone needs them then it could be their life which is at stake.
You have decided to buy new- which seems sensible. But I do not understand the "spares" theory.
Are they there just for someone to wear when you have a lot of crew & you just want them to look good, or are they there to save someone's life in an emergency?
Is giving them a product that MAY save their life the right thing to do?
That being said I have a couple of old LJ's & this post has prompted me to oust them for exactly the point that I have just posted:cry:🤣

Boathook

Visit site
I binned an old (25 years approx) crewsaver LJ last year as the 'rubber' attaching the oral inflation tube to the bladder failed. Nothing else wrong with it. Tested a load of others and made sure that the inflation tube was moved around.

ylop

Visit site
Do the bladders deteriorate over time? -
yes, particularly around the folds or if a cylinder goes rusty. My rule has been to replace all LJs of the same style/vintage whenever you spot one showing signs of ageing.
Do the straps degrade due to UV? etc...
almost certainly - but it would be impossible to put an age on that - Scottish sailors might suffer less than those in sunnier climes, but alternatively might be more inclined to wear them all the time. A family cruising boat used for 30 days a year might get very different exposure to a retired couple effectively living aboard all summer. “Guest” life jackets may rarely be used, or might see more action than a named family member who is an occasional visitor and has their “own” jacket etc.

Newer jackets are generally more comfortable and comfortable one is more likely to be worn.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
It's all about the condition of the life jacket and cannot be determined by pure time

I have inflatable as well as foam filled life jackets so the need the checks a infatable but do need some inspection

Suppliers and inspection authorities would like to specify a replace time/ servicing as it gives the suppliers more profit and the inspection authorities don't have to pay for the replacement / servicing

Refueler

Visit site
If you've got any sense, ignore everything above and follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

And that is ?

Please post examples of such recommendations .....

I don't think I or any other sensible persons are going to ignore safety issues .. but maybe there is a mark of ability to decide when End of Service ??

rogerthebodger

Visit site
If you've got any sense, ignore everything above and follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

The manufacturer have no idea of the amount of times the like jacker was used and what were those conditions.

They also have no idea of the storage conditions so haw can any manufacturer make any sensible recommendations on the length of life of the life jacket.

Any recenditation by the manufacturer would be motivated by a number of factors including a desire to sell more product just like some of the best before dates on some products

penberth3

Visit site
The manufacturer have no idea of the amount of times the like jacker was used and what were those conditions.

They also have no idea of the storage conditions so haw can any manufacturer make any sensible recommendations on the length of life of the life jacket.

Any recenditation by the manufacturer would be motivated by a number of factors including a desire to sell more product just like some of the best before dates on some products

So you think you know better than the manufacturer? I'm sure you don't.

rogerthebodger

Visit site

I certainly know how the life jacket has been used and how obtain its used and the conditions it has been stored in where the manufacturer cannot have any idea of that usage and storage.

It they have been stored and used under conditions that will cause real damage the life could be a lot less than the manufacturer would envisage and visa versa.

So yes I don't think I know I would know the condition better then the manufacturer and if they need replacing I have much better knowledge than the manufacturer of the conditions and would have th necessary knowledge to assess the conditions where as the manufacturer could have no way of knowing the condition, how could they ?

If you don't think you have the knowledge then that up to you nd can replace when either you or the manufacturer advise on replacement

The same applies to life rafts

Daydream believer

Visit site
Probably not, but I bet he might well have enough nounce to notice if an LJ needs changing before the manufacturers sell by date . He, possibly, also knows if the LJ has never been used, but sat in its new packaging at home, unused; rather like one sat on a chandlers shelf for 5 years.
IF ( & it is a big IF, because I have several makes of LJ & none have a use by date )they make recommendations I very much doubt it is so they can sell more of the product. I would suggest that it is because they are looking at their product liability insurance . Certainly because they wish to be seen to be responsible suppliers. Especially in the case of idiots who have no idea of how to look after an LJ & how to check it is properly serviced.

Last edited: