When can we go sailing ?

CPD

Visit site
Is there a clear generally accepted date when we might be allowed out, according to Boris's release plan ?? ..................... all subject to data based change of course. Many thanks as ever :) ..............

MikeCC

www.allGadgets.co.uk
The sailing is the easy bit. It's the travel and access that causes the problems. Eg if you live beyond a 'reasonable' distance. Seems marinas generally are allowing people to their boats though.

More of a problem if your boat is on the hard and you cannot access it. No doubt a lot of those people will be having a mad rush after 29 March to prepare. Maybe some places freed up from 8 March?

Nigel_Ward

Visit site
For England the stay at home rule ends on 29 March and self contained accomodation is allowed (not with shared facilities) on 12 April.
So I think 12 April is the date.
However marinas may think differently.

Fimacca

Visit site
Scotland is nailed down. Wales just emerging. Don't know about Ireland.
I had a wee sail out of the Hamble last week, but very curtailed as it is a new boat and new area to me. Don't want to get into strife and call for help putting others at risk !

TSB240

Visit site
The advice for Wales is now clear but does not permit overnight on board yet. Purely for exercise and is somewhat restricted by the "stay local guide"
When the temperature gets over 5 degrees and it is not persisting down I can put a coat of antifouling and will be ready to splash.

I believe our marina is coordinating the craning in of most of the boats that are on the hard late on in April.

This will allow a short time for english based owners to prepare them for launching once they are permitted to travel which will probably be a little time after self contained accommodation is open in Wales.

If self contained holiday accommodation is open then staying out at anchor or on a mooring will be bonafide! So it looks like the anchorages around here will be very peaceful for the locals!

Return to Boating Wales | Information & Advice | RYA Cymru Wales | RYA Regions & Home Countries | RYA - Royal Yachting Association

Steve

dunedin

Visit site
Is there an equivalent for the Scottish rules?

Scotland has made it much more complicated and much later. In its simplest (all dates subject to change)

Able to travel to your boat
- within England 29th March
- within Scotland 26th April - ie 4 weeks later

Able to stay on your boat
- within England 12th April
- within Scotland 26th April - ie 2 weeks later

Able to travel from rUK to a boat in Scotland - not before 26th April

NB. This ignores
(a) the extra Scottish post code lottery of whether your boat is within same local authority + 5miles or not (a span of about 15 miles travel for some, or 200 for others for no logical reason)
(b) the Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland - where their rules are eased further in about 90 minutes from now - but don’t hold your breath for when you might be allowed to travel there from elsewhere in Scotland let alone rUK

cpedw

Visit site
Scotland has made it much more complicated and much later. In its simplest (all dates subject to change)

Able to travel to your boat
- within England 29th March
- within Scotland 26th April - ie 4 weeks later

Able to stay on your boat
- within England 12th April
- within Scotland 26th April - ie 2 weeks later

Able to travel from rUK to a boat in Scotland - not before 26th April

NB. This ignores
(a) the extra Scottish post code lottery of whether your boat is within same local authority + 5miles or not (a span of about 15 miles travel for some, or 200 for others for no logical reason)
(b) the Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland - where their rules are eased further in about 90 minutes from now - but don’t hold your breath for when you might be allowed to travel there from elsewhere in Scotland let alone rUK
That's not much like RYA Scotland's interpretation.

cpedw

Visit site
Some of the dates you quote are not the whole story, agreed not a simple to grasp one.
As I understand it, anyone can go any distance to attend to essential maintenance, which is an undefined concept.
From 1 or 2 April, I can travel the 5 miles to my boat in the same council area as often as I like, though not stay overnight.
As for comparisons with England, I'm happy to be different with a Covid death rate about 2/3 that down south: UK Coronavirus Tracker

Adios

Visit site
I realised I can go boating with a friend who lives over a 100 miles away and stay overnight at his. Because he lives on his own he can be in a bubble with my household and its ok to travel to him and stay over. Once there I'll be boating locally. So what you need is a friend who lives on his own near your boat. Simples. I'll be taking my dinghy to do this soon but I realise it might not be a useful allowance for many.