What's in your spares and tool kit?

Lodestone

Visit site
Following on from the thread about CG rescue tasking I thought it might be interesting to look at spares and tools to get out of basic problems.
So currently on our boat we have a few things. This list isn't exhaustive, its off the top of my head and I will have forgotten detail but it shows generally what we've got. It's all mainly packed in Peli 1550 cases which are big enough but also easy to heft about :-
  1. Fuel and oil filters, strap wrench
  2. Fuel bug treatment - Soltron
  3. Spill kit
  4. Belts, impellers
  5. Lubes and coolant, PTFE tape.
  6. Spare strainer, lid, o ring and clamp.
  7. Bungs and wedges
  8. Socket set, spanners, screwdrivers, multi tools, pliers, knives ie basic engine tool kit.
  9. Long jump leads.
  10. Multimeter, fuses, wire (all grades), soldering iron etc, waterproof solder joints, strippers, adhesive heat shrink tubing, self almalgamating tape, crimps.
  11. Long tow line, rigged sea anchor in a large dry bag, oversize anchor with a lot of scope.
  12. Some balloon fenders - which are always a PITA, ugly and take up deck space but handy for hip tows etc. and the nice elderly gent who wants to raft up whose idea of coming alongside is more like a carrier landing.
  13. Cuddly toy, food processor, 3 piece suite, Teasmaid ;)

madabouttheboat

Visit site
As an ex marine service tech, I have seen just about every type of breakdown. As such I carried quite possibly the most comprehensive set of spares you could imagine. I also had a boat toolkit that I could have used professionally, if needed. Of course, having all this meant I barely ever needed any of it. :)

Lodestone

Visit site
As an ex marine service tech, I have seen just about every type of breakdown. As such I carried quite possibly the most comprehensive set of spares you could imagine. I also had a boat toolkit that I could have used professionally, if needed. Of course, having all this meant I barely ever needed any of it. :)
Any additions you would advise? (y)

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Any additions you would advise? (y)

Well I carried a spare alternator, starter motor, lift pump, set of HP injector pipes, raw water pump, fresh water pump, set of props as well as all the usual service items and consumables. I have used the raw water pump twice, but none of the other larger items, although I have been cruising with other boats that at some point have needed all these things, which is why I carried them.

Gustywinds

Visit site
I am very lucky in that the previous owner of my boat left a huge load of spares with the boat although some of them are pretty old. These is an invoice from 2005 when the boat was new with everything you have plus every fuse on the boat (some of which are now redundant since I upgraded a bunch of stuff), spare water pumps, 2 spare props (different pitches?), anodes, anchor motor, a "service kit" for the thrusters, alternator brushes and bearings, spare rudder sensor and so on. I bought a bunch of heavier tools on Rotterdam, took basic light stuff from home the first time I came over and more specific wiring stuff this time although I realised today I forgot a heat gun and the wife's portable hairdryer aint gonna hack it

Alicatt

Visit site
Pretty much everything that was listed in the first post, some doubled up and some tripled eg. V-belts.

Water strainers, well it is a unique system on the Ocean 37, two tall columns that bring the tops above the water line, that's them between the manual bilge pump and the taps for the fuel feed and return
_DSC9365SM.JPG

Greg2

Visit site
Water strainers, well it is a unique system on the Ocean 37, two tall columns that bring the tops above the water line, that's them between the manual bilge pump and the taps for the fuel feed and return

Perhaps not as common as they used to be but not unique. We had them on both our Ocean 37 and Broom 41 and I have seen them on other boats.

jakew009

Visit site
Pretty much everything that was listed in the first post, some doubled up and some tripled eg. V-belts.

View attachment 182398

I assume that allows you to rod them without anything coming into the boat? If something was to get stuck into the through hull.

Dino

Visit site
One of the handiest things I ever bought for my boat was a set of three different sized plastic measuring jugs. I bought them for €3 in B&Q. The large on comes in handy for charging fuel fuel filters, screw off the top and the filter drops in. Also very handy for topping up oil, cool and, water, etc. rather than daggling a big can over the engine bay.
And Ikea do a very handy box of zip lock bags for catching oil filters and their contents.
Blue roll is great for cleaning up but also very handy for checking if there are any leaks. It shows wet marks way better than a white kitchen paper.
A box of disposable gloves and a good usb rechargeable torch.

Alicatt

Visit site
I assume that allows you to rod them without anything coming into the boat? If something was to get stuck into the through hull.
Mind you I have not tried to open them when the stopcock is open, the stopcocks were replaced recently. Got a few more to do next time the boat is out the water, the insurance company wants them all to be less than 10 years old.
The outlet for the toilet in the aft cabin goes into the starboard propeller tunnel, I suppose it's one way of dispersing...
One of the handiest things I ever bought for my boat was a set of three different sized plastic measuring jugs. I bought them for €3 in B&Q. The large on comes in handy for charging fuel fuel filters, screw off the top and the filter drops in. Also very handy for topping up oil, cool and, water, etc. rather than daggling a big can over the engine bay.
And Ikea do a very handy box of zip lock bags for catching oil filters and their contents.
Blue roll is great for cleaning up but also very handy for checking if there are any leaks. It shows wet marks way better than a white kitchen paper.
A box of disposable gloves and a good usb rechargeable torch.
I have a small funnel and a small jug to top up the ATF in the gearboxes, really in an awkward place especially the port one, you have to access it from a hatch in the galley and it's at arm's length, it helps if you remove the boards from the bottom of the bench seat to let some light in to see with.