What to stock up with prior to leaving the UK.

Tranona

Visit site
Uh oh!

Can I suggest you have a read of Breaking Seas by Glenn Damato? Couple of quid on Kindle if I remember rightly.

Not exactly best-seller literature, but it contains quite a bit about composting toilets on seagoing boats.

The verdict is not a positive one!

Pete

Not read it, but can't imagine why one would want such a thing on an ocean going yacht. The objective is to eject your organic waste from the boat into the sea as quickly as possible, with an alternative way of storing it safely when in waters where that is not possible.

prv

Visit site
Not read it, but can't imagine why one would want such a thing on an ocean going yacht. The objective is to eject your organic waste from the boat into the sea as quickly as possible

Exactly.

His pretty much ejected it all over the saloon.

Pete

sailaboutvic

Visit site
This is beyond me , I surprise what I am reading here , 17 years sailing away from the UK and at no time have I staved or not been able to get a parts that will do the job , As far as getting good English food maybe you should consider not sailing too far from the nears Tesco and staying home , if you are really desperate for marmite , T bags I understand amazon now send out food parcel or you could try the Red Cross .
The next remark I am going to make isn't directed at the OP , as far as I know he may be a very capable guy ,
First thing a lot of people need to stock up on is skills , on how things work and how to fix them . We can't know every thing but we can try and learn about some things .
next how to anchor , I can't believe how many people have no idea how to set a hook or how much chain to lay .
Most of us see it most days , I can't count the amount of times had to help someone set there anchor or helped them un tangle there from mine , as I am sure a lot of you on here have had the same problem .
But most important of all stop relaying on navigation aid and learn how to navigation with out then because one day them skills will come in handily .
Take away GPS , chart plotter , AIS and I lay money on it , the Med would be empty .
Take good tool set , take repair manuals . Because these will get you out of trouble a jar of marmite won't unless you can get the lid to screw onto a broken sea cock , but then again a potatoes which you more likely have on board will do the job just as well if you forgotten to buy wooden buns because you was too busy looking for you favour T bags .
OH PS
We was in Tunisia the other month , and guess what we sew in the super market ?

Last edited:

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
This is beyond me , I surprise what I am reading here , 17 years sailing away from the UK and at no time have I staved or not been able to get a parts that will do the job , As far as getting good English food maybe you should consider not sailing too far from the nears Tesco and staying home , if you are really desperate for marmite , T bags I understand amazon now send out food parcel or you could try the Red Cross .
The next remark I am going to make isn't directed at the OP , as far as I know he may be a very capable guy ,
First thing a lot of people need to stock up on is skills , on how things work and how to fix them . We can't know every thing but we can try and learn about some things .
next how to anchor , I can't believe how many people have no idea how to set a hook or how much chain to lay .
Most of us see it most days , I can't count the amount of times had to help someone set there anchor or helped them un tangle there from mine , as I am sure a lot of you on here have had the same problem .
But most important of all stop relaying on navigation aid and learn how to navigation with out then because one day them skills will come in handily .
Take away GPS , chart plotter , AIS and I lay money on it , the Med would be empty .
Take good tool set , take repair manuals . Because these will get you out of trouble a jar of marmite won't unless you can get the lid to screw onto a broken sea cock , but then again a potatoes which you more likely have on board will do the job just as well if you forgotten to buy wooden buns because you was too busy looking for you favour T bags .
OH PS

Quality

Wino

Visit site
Going Native is the best option as quicly as possible...med diet is the best.
But yes I agree spare parts etc for the boat as these can be very expensive.
If you have a DVD player or Kindle , then stock up for those rainy/winter days. Also plug adaptors are a really important especially when you end up buying local electrical stuff, which you will. A long water hose pipe, long lead for electrics and various electric amp plugs for onshore electrics are about all you need to invest in before you go.
oops and medicines eg antisan , anti mosquitos stuff.
Have fun for this is all it is about...
good luck and bon chance

Appleyard

Visit site
The only thing I need in the Med,which seem to be unavailable are Ginger Nut biscuits. I cannot do without them, and its not for the taste.

srm

Visit site
A number of people have mentioned taking antifouling. If your hull has a low moisture content it may be worth considering applying Coppercoat. Could save on haul outs if you clean it off in the water. Lots of forum threads on the subject.

Would also add support to aquiring a range of maintenance skills. I have just been paid to adjust a boat's rig. It had sailed about 100 miles after a yard had restepped the masts. What surprised me was that the owner has made at least two Atlantic circuits on his own boats, but admitted to never learning the basics of setting up standing rigging.

Borden

Visit site
As said several times above, if you're heading for the Med you can pick up most of the 'essentials' wherever you moor. We left Hamble in 2006 and before leaving we stocked up big time at Tesco. In the interviewing time and 5000 miles later in Turkey we've just thrown out the last bag of Tesco flour hidden away in a locker complete with a thriving colony of weevils.
Go native as far as food is concerned, that's one of the great joys of cruising. For elevenses I'm now seriously into The Turkish drink of Salep made with milk.

Rabbit

Visit site
OH PS

Take away GPS , chart plotter , AIS and I lay money on it , the Med would be empty.
And many Uk waters too.

rivonia

Visit site
Having lived aboard for over 10 years. Sailed from Largs to Cyprus and all points between. Then My advice to you is this. Only take as much/many spare engine parts that you can safely carry on board. Do not worry about food etc as it can be bought en-route cheaply (going local) However engine parts and spares cost an arm and a leg. So stock as much of these as you can and PLEASE do go on a course to service the engine on your Yacht it will pay for it self over and over again.

Good luck