What to stock up with prior to leaving the UK.

Davy_S

Visit site
Take away GPS , chart plotter , AIS and I lay money on it , the Med would be empty.
And many Uk waters too.
This is simply not true! when everyone knew that the earth was flat, they had no problem with navigation at all. It was the scaremongers who dared to say that the earth was round that caused all the problems. Flat earth believers can still navigate anywhere in the world without electronics.

Borden

Visit site
Saucepans!
Yes saucepans that you cook things in. Having just cooked dinner on board I'm compelled to recommend to you a set of nested saucepans with one removable handle that you can attach and detach as required.
Being nested the three pans fit snugly inside each other taking up minimal space as they don't have individual handles. The handle lives in the cutlery drawer.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
Saucepans!
Yes saucepans that you cook things in. Having just cooked dinner on board I'm compelled to recommend to you a set of nested saucepans with one removable handle that you can attach and detach as required.
Being nested the three pans fit snugly inside each other taking up minimal space as they don't have individual handles. The handle lives in the cutlery drawer.
You don't need to bring from the UK, they are available in many country's camping suppliers.

I have such a set, and when cooking with more than one pan, my usual scenario, all others are without handle because it is not possible to juggle a single handle from one hot pan to another ... it is dangerous to even try. So I find myself still with other pans - with handles. IKEA have splendid pans of excellent quality at very reasonable cost - with handles, which any respectable pan must have - although I do have a heavy iron grill pan where the handle folds up and over the pan for storage.

Borden

Visit site
Our nested saucepans were bought in France. They're heavy grade steel and non stick coated. I have great respect for the camping sets but have to admit that these French pans sans handles are the business.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
Our nested saucepans were bought in France. They're heavy grade steel and non stick coated. I have great respect for the camping sets but have to admit that these French pans sans handles are the business.
I have no idea where my wife bought our set, either Italy or Switzerland. I doubt if they were intended for camping as they are heavy spun s.s. but not non-stick coated. I merely mentioned a camping suppliers as cannot envisage a normal household choosing such a form on space-saving grounds as even a small apartment would have the tiny extra space that un-nested pans require.

The single handle has two pins that must be inserted up and into two sockets on each pan - they are a tight fit and it is not possible to transfer the handle from one pan to another without some pressure and danger of spilling hot contents or hand burns. There may well be more functional forms; in fact, I was once invited for a meal on a friend's boat and the lady had a set of handle-less pans with a grip-type handle that clamped over the top lip - that may well be more convenient, although it meant that the lid must be removed first and the handle had to be grasped to stay in place by keeping the jaws clamped.

I remain sceptical of the principle, after all, unless you are cruising in a sub-8m boat how much space do you really save?

Zanziba

Visit site

Take away GPS , chart plotter , AIS and I lay money on it , the Med would be empty.
And many Uk waters too.

I sail UK waters. I have no chart plotter or AIS... I do used GPS and plot my position and fill in the logbook each change of helm (maximum hourly) but I also carry sighting compass and can calculate leeway reasonably accurately plus have tidal stream atlas for my cruising ground. Last time I did the run to Isle of Man (Total loss of sight of land in the middle of the 80 mile trip) my GPS failed and I found my way without issue while night sailing.

I do love light houses :)