What is this rope for?!

Sky Catcher

Visit site
Hi,

I have found this rope on a boat I have just purchased - Can anybody tell me what this rope would be for?! The plastic on each end is quite heavy. I don't want to get rid of it and then find out it was critical...

Attachments

• Rope.jpg
    Rope.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 164

sarabande

Visit site
If I had to invent a use, it would be for jib sheets, with the grey plastic "grommet" taking the place of a Fig of Eight knot.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Do the two plastic pieces slide along the rope - is it HMPE rope - what size of boat ?
I've had two similar bridles made in stainless steel wire to lift boats by shackling the ends to keel bolts, on one arrangement the bridle went through a deck hatch which had a wooden frame to keep the two wire legs in place, maybe the two grey pieces can fit somewhere on deck (?)
Sorry wild guess :D

Refueler

Visit site
I assume its a single line with centre hard eye and then hard eye with grey plastic each end ?

The hard eyes and plastic give an air of serious use ! I too would be unwilling to discard it - put it back of locker until one day its use becomes apparent ! (But then again - I'm a terrible hoarder !!).

Thinking that rigged ... the plastic items slide along the line .. the grooves give idea of rope around maybe.

Aja

Visit site
Hi,

I have found this rope on a boat I have just purchased - Can anybody tell me what this rope would be for?! The plastic on each end is quite heavy. I don't want to get rid of it and then find out it was critical...
Falls for davits, if fitted?

William_H

Visit site
The centre hard eye (thimble) would imply that load would be on centre to one end or centre to the other end. Load from, end to end would put a bad strain on the whipping under the red plastic coating. ie used like a jib sheet. However one use might be as a one piece springer in a pen mooring. each end attached to the jetty and the centre to a mid ships cleat. But not really the correct kind of centre fix for this job. So I have no idea. it does look like plyester braid to me. ol'will

Daydream believer

Visit site
Lifting strop for hoisting the dinghy on deck?
You have it
Centre ring fits to a halyard
The rings on the 2 legs fit to points on the floor of the dinghy (under the thwart) as that is the strongest point on the dinghy.
However, under load the dinghy would want to tip over because the C of G is above the lift point. So the 2 thimbles locate into slots in the thwarts to stop the dinghy tipping as it is lifted.
I would have expected to see snap shackles on the thimbles but perhaps these were fixed to the dinghy.
Try bettering that for a theory ;)

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
You have it
The rings on the 2 legs fit to points on the floor of the dinghy (under the thwart) as that is the strongest point on the dinghy.
However, under load the dinghy would want to tip over because the C of G is above the lift point. So the 2 thimbles locate into slots in the thwarts to stop the dinghy tipping as it is lifted.
I would have expected to see snap shackles on the thimbles but perhaps these were fixed to the dinghy.
No idea what it is for but it looks suspiciously clean and unused? :unsure:

greeny

Visit site
You have it
Two points on the thwart, one lifting point, where is the leg to the bow of the dinghy? Sorry but does not do it for me.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
If I was using a lifting strop likes that one I would attach one leg to the bow or center of bow transom and the other leg to the center of the aft transom enduring any kit inside balanced either center line

Lifting would be level

Daydream believer

Visit site
Two points on the thwart, one lifting point, where is the leg to the bow of the dinghy? Sorry but does not do it for me.
2 points in the dinghy. On point below the forward thwart (or seat), the other under the aft one ( or seat, if you prefer to call it that). The centre eye goes on the halyard. It may not even be central- We do not know if it is- to make the dinghy balance evenly

Daydream believer

Visit site
If I was using a lifting strop likes that one I would attach one leg to the bow or center of bow transom and the other leg to the center of the aft transom enduring any kit inside balanced either center line

Lifting would be level
Lifting would be level end for end but not necessarily side to side so by passing through a higher point would stop rotation. the bobins are made to fit in those points. Hence, the narrow bits in them to stop them dropping out of locating slots. Might even pass through small decks with keyhole slots for the bobbins near the bow & stern rather than thwarts

greeny

Visit site
2 points in the dinghy. On point below the forward thwart (or seat), the other under the aft one ( or seat, if you prefer to call it that). The centre eye goes on the halyard. It may not even be central- We do not know if it is- to make the dinghy balance evenly
Why not use 3 legs and forget about balance. Still doesn't do it for me. More likely a towing bridle or maybe anchor snubber of some sort. The next time I sell a boat I'm going to fabricate something like this that has no use on that boat and leave it behind for the new owner to post about on YBW. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Daydream believer

Visit site
The next time I sell a boat I'm going to fabricate something like this that has no use on that boat and leave it behind for the new owner to post about on YBW. 🤣 🤣 🤣
Reminds me of one of my labourers.
He was in to German war memorabilia. His house was raided by 11 police (by mistake) one night & he ended up doing 6 months for kicking the police inspector in the nether regions & thumping a couple more with a baseball bat he kept at the top of the stairs. He caused a lot of injury & it was in the local papers that a Nazi cell had been uncovered..
The bomb squad were called because he had an empty grenade case which he had filled with linseed putty- Even he could not recall why, as he was as nutty as a fruit cake-Any way the linseed had leaked & the police thought it was dangerous, so bomb squad called. He actually got told off for wasting police time even though he was innocent.
His mother- who he lived with- died & the council moved him to a single person's bungalow. Before he went he refilled the case- which they returned- & gently wedged the grenade in the rafters of the old house, where it could easily be seen, but not removed, leaking linseed.
His theory was, that it would be difficult to remove & would give the new occupants, the police & bomb squad something to play with as a leaving present, when finally found.

Last edited: