What do you wish you'd stocked up on?

Kelpie

Visit site
If all goes well we will be in the Caribbean in a few months time. Prompted by reaching the end of my supply of PG Tips, what things are worth stocking up on before we leave?

jdc

Visit site
Marmite and, before leaving Spain or Portugal, good wine (or the Canaries - Vega Norte on La Palma was excellent when we were there - but you'd need to hire a car).

Another subject is fruit and veg for the voyage. The veg in the Caribbean is excellent, so no issue there, but what you can buy from supermarkets in Europe, sadly now including the Canaries, will have been refrigerated and thus go off within a week at sea. Instead, if at all possible, buy in Cape Verde from a local market like this one. This is in contrast to what the Atlantic crossing book said.

geem

Visit site
Marmite and, before leaving Spain or Portugal, good wine (or the Canaries - Vega Norte on La Palma was excellent when we were there - but you'd need to hire a car).

Another subject is fruit and veg for the voyage. The veg in the Caribbean is excellent, so no issue there, but what you can buy from supermarkets in Europe, sadly now including the Canaries, will have been refrigerated and thus go off within a week at sea. Instead, if at all possible, buy in Cape Verde from a local market like this one. This is in contrast to what the Atlantic crossing book said.
We had no problem with fruit and veg sourced in the Canaries. We run two fridges. The 'warm' fridge and the cold fridge. The 42L warm fridge holds are fruit and veg at about 10degC. We still had fruit on arrival in Antigua. We also had non refrigerated fruit and veg for the first week at sea. Keeping fruit in good condition in the Caribbean is an issue hence the second warm fridge.
You can get most things in the Caribbean these days but it's expensive.

GHA

Visit site
Not much springs to mind, a load of extra virgin olive oil as mentioned. I remember a year long "the great peanut butter famine" where none was available but that might have been south america. Fruit n veg usually best from down the local markets for the passage. often in a popular leaving port there will be a few stalls who know what cruisers will be doing & pick out the best for the trip.
& a load of kindle / podcast downloads for the passage ?

greeny

Visit site
Make sure your general medical supplies are well stocked. I don't mean just the first aid kit. Run of the mill lotions and potions along with some anti biotics maybe. Most of it will be available over there but much easier if you've got it already and don't have to go searching.

doug748

Visit site
I never leave the UK with stocking up with cream crackers, where you are you might already be stuck. Maybe there could be a humanitarian aid flight arranged.

Personal care products can be a problem in some parts. So I would get in shampoo, deodorants, razors that sort of stuff.

geem

Visit site
Make sure your general medical supplies are well stocked. I don't mean just the first aid kit. Run of the mill lotions and potions along with some anti biotics maybe. Most of it will be available over there but much easier if you've got it already and don't have to go searching.
Good point. Add Flamazine to you medical kit. Very easy to burn yourself whilst cooking/sailing. It's an amazing prescription only burn cream.

Kelpie

Visit site
Thanks all, good suggestions.
I hope we can find garlic purée somewhere soon, should have stocked up in Portugal. Seems to be unheard of in Spain.

Kelpie

Visit site
What's wrong with garlic bulbs? They store for ages and you don't have to refrigerate them.
Well that's what we're doing at the moment.
I just find the purée leads to less waste and mess. My attitude to cooking is that it's about final taste with least effort and I find purée a bit more practical.
In other news, I use tea bags instead of loose for similar reasons.

shan

Visit site
Well that's what we're doing at the moment.
I just find the purée leads to less waste and mess. My attitude to cooking is that it's about final taste with least effort and I find purée a bit more practical.
In other news, I use tea bags instead of loose for similar reasons.
Get yourself an IKEA Koncis garlic crusher - yes seriously. Best garlic crusher I have ever owned - you don't even peel the garlic. Effective and not messy. I have had my one for about 15 years now and they still sell the same crusher to this day.