What a racket!!

clyst

Visit site
Visited a marina yesterday to help a friend do a minor repair but bloody hell even in the cabin the noise from halyards slapping alloy mast (other boats) was unbearable !! Please tell me all you marina users do you ever get to sleep at night , do marina staff tend to loose halyards or is it something you live with ?
Just curious .

Terry

BrendanS

Visit site
I love the noise in Marina's.

Doesn't keep me awake, and is quietly reassuring in a weird way. Let's me know that I've left the rat race behind, and that I'm on my boat enjoying life on the water, albeit for a short time

Maybe I'm strange?

qsiv

Visit site
I also like the noise of marinas anchorages - but more so the wind in the rigging, the slap of water etc.

Halyards flapping are just a nightmare - simply sloppy - and the wear and tear on bothe the halyard and the rig is unnecessary. I'm lucky insofar as my halyards are internal - but the fall of spinnaker halyards,pole lifts etc still need to be moved away from the mast when the trip is over. My bane is the 'sidewinder' that drives the endless loop for the heel of the spi pole. The proximity of the two parts and the tension means that it is prone to a really nasty hum thats windspeed dpendant, and the tension has to be adjusted to quiten it..

Violetta

Visit site
MFS - Study with the Best!

Under my expert guidance, you too can become a Master of Frapping Studies. I have studied this fascinating subject for more than 45 years in order to understand the evil ways of bits of string on boats and how to defeat them. Some of them are cunning b.....s too. Modules include not only all known forms of tapping, tinkling, clattering, thudding, drumming etc., but also humming, whining, buzzing, singing, whistling, murmuring, shrieking, roaring and howling. I even include supplementary modules on gurgling, sploshing, sloshing, creaking, groaning, grinding, squeaking, snoring, pattering, scrabbling, cries of ecstasy (ve haf our ways of putting paid to THEM!) and other extraneous noises produced by things and creatures other than bits of string.

Effective frapping is not nearly so simple as it seems. And there are very few true frappers about. Enrol today at my Academy of Frapping and become a Master of this subtle, complex and, yet, much neglected, aspect of seamanship.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Re: MFS - Study with the Best!

For those freezing cold scantily clad midnight dashes on deck when you just can't stand it any more a handy roll of electrical tape can sometimes provide a speedy solution.

<font color=blue>Nick</font color=blue>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bluemoment.com>
bluemoment.gif
</A>

billskip

Visit site
Good question ...I have the same problem with wind aerial and light cables..it has been suggested to sprey expanding foam in at intervals down the mast but not tried as dont know what effect it will have on halyards also water may collect and cause damage to the mast..(experts advice please)..in the end maybe the mast will have to come down and some sort of fixing made but this I hope will not be the case.

Bill
www.aegeansailing.co.uk
www.iggedo.com
www.macsyachting.com

Johnjo

Visit site
My sabre is fitted with a A frame, takes about 15 mins to drop the
mast, so this spring when I drop it for its annual inspection, going
to fit some holders to the cross trees to hold the handling lines away
from the mast, the lines will be flicked on and off as necessary,
meant to have done it this year, but forgot!
so hopefully no more naked midnight dashes in the drizzle, tend to dress
for the first trip, its the second and third trip that gets tedious!!!
mind you I had a look through a mates night viewer this summer, makes
you think twice about a pee over the side!!!!!

regards mike

colinroybarrett

www.kahawi.co.uk
Aerial & other wires:-

One solution offered (but not personally tried) is to affix three cable ties at about 120deg every so often down the loose cable, don’t cut the ends off as these then hold the cable away from the interior wall of the mast. Less problematical than foam clumps when it comes to re-threading halyards – Cheap too!

Cheers,
Colin Barrett
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kahawi.co.uk>http://www.kahawi.co.uk</A>

Metabarca

Visit site

B***y hell, Webcraft, I knew the British were both hardy and a bit peculiar (public schools and all that) but surely a bottle would be more comfortable than sticky tape if no heads are available...!

Johnjo

Visit site

Did wonder about that myself!
But being British was to much of a gentleman to ask
or to comment!!!!!

regards mike

ianwright

Home: Peterborough, Mooring, Heybridge Basin
Visit site

Aunty Vi,
Does the course include advice on the real cures? Have a wooden boat.Have a wooden mast. Have nice soft halyards running through wooden blocks. Sleep the sleep of the just.

I have had people step aboard to reduce the noise, but in my case bellowing "Stop Bloody Snoring! works only for a short time.
IanW.

Vertue 203, Patience

AndyL

www.marinechandlery.com
If you can remove them

refit them with bunches of cable ties with the tails left on in a star or cross postion about every metre of length. The tails keep the wires from rattling.

Alternatively, you can tape the wires to a 3mm spectra line which you then haul very tight.

I do not recommend foam.

Cheers, Andy