West Coast Scotland

Visit site
Hi all,

We’re looking at moving to west Scotland.

Yesterday, specifically looking at Arran, yes I know fairly well south, possibly Oban (Lismore) as an alternative.

Part of this move includes finding a mooring for a Hanse 350.

Can anyone offer any insight?

My research so far shows there are more moorings than listed in Reeds or other Mariña guides.

Not looking for definitive information, merely informed guidance.

TIA

Andy

Reactions: Obi

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
At the Northern tip of Lismore, there's a mooring association, with several mooring in a well sheltered inlet.
I've been sailing around that area for many years, and in resent years there have been very few boats on the moorings.
Might be worth looking it up with the Crown Estate's mooring department.

Minerva

Visit site
I’m fairly certain the mooring association operating the patch of moorings on the seaward side of the falls of Lora were advertising moorings to purchase this spring. I probably saw it on one of the Scottish facebook groups.

ash2020

Visit site
Andy, the sailing up there is wonderful, as you probably guessed. I've just moved away, but there are sometimes moorings for sale in Dunstaffnage Bay, next to Dunstaffnage Marina at Oban. Contact dbmoamoorings@gmail.com for more info. I recently sold mine for £5K, which is the general going rate. There's also a fee of approx £350 p.a. for parking, dinghy store, toilets etc. You can rent moorings at Creran Marine, I think they are around £1K for the season. Winter storage is a bit of an issue, with most places having a waiting list, again, you could try Ewen at Creran Marine. Message me if you need any more info.

steveeasy

Visit site
Ardoran marine. I’ve just put mine on one there. There is another place north of Oban. Can’t recall the name but I’ll find it for you if needed.
Steveeasy

steveeasy

Visit site
No room on the mooring for my Hoose. Just my boat I’m afraid. Thought you were looking for moorings,
Steveeasy

ash2020

Visit site
Ardoran marine. I’ve just put mine on one there. There is another place north of Oban. Can’t recall the name but I’ll find it for you if needed.
Steveeasy
There's Dunstaffnage, Creran Marine and Linnhe Marina, North of Oban. Linnhe Marina is quite small but sheltered. The other 2 have better facilities and winter storage.

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
I've had a boat at Linnhe Marine for the last 15 years. There are 100 moorings there, and long waiting list.
In general it works well, friendly, helpful, and a boat taxi service, 9 to 5, 7days a week, April to October.
The down side is that it is very exposed to the N through to the NE, and can get very coppy and uncomfortable on the mooring. There's never been a problem with the moorings, it's just very bouncy.
Limited winter storage for smaller cruisers.
If you are planning to live on Lismoor, the mooring association is a good bet. You'd have to use a ferry to get to any of the other options. But the opposite also applies, you'd need to take the ferry to get to the boat, so not that practical.

Visit site
HI all,

Sorry, not been ignoring folk, been busy sorting out the boat for the voyage.

Yes the plan is to move - house and yacht to Scotland, Oban Area.

Starting off on 10th June.

Many obstacles/Hurdles on the way, not the least being the distance from Cornwall to Wales, but working on it.

Thanks for all the comments.

ylop

Visit site
In terms of finding a mooring there are a number of mooring associations around, most will be members of West Highland Anchorages and Moorings Association or The Clyde Yacht Clubs Association : About Us

I notice in your OP you say "Lismore or Arran". I don't want to dismiss your suggestion - both are very lovely places but they are rather different. Lismore is small, you could quickly start to know a lot of the population. Arran is too big to know everyone. Lismore is a long way from civilisation. Obviously, the ferry to Oban is not that long but if you need to get to a big city Glasgow is a long way. Oban itself is not exactly the cultural epicentre of Scotland if you need that sort of thing, and the hospital is small if you are heading to that age where such things become considerations etc. Arran's ferry service has its own problems, and if too close to the ferry you will be very aware of day trippers from Glasgow in the Summer but the flip side is that its much closer to facilities if you need them, but actually the Island itself is a little more self-sufficient than Lismore so you'll be able to get a lot of services without having to get on a ferry.

I think sometimes people get caught up in the romanticism of living on an island. The ferries stop at night (last ferry to Arran on a Sunday is about 6pm) so you have to plan mainland trips around that. Every package/delivery will cost you more and take longer. Winter on an island can be very long - if you are coming from Cornwall the difference in daylight will be noticeable; of course so will the much quieter traffic etc but you know all the good stuff.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
In terms of finding a mooring there are a number of mooring associations around, most will be members of West Highland Anchorages and Moorings Association or The Clyde Yacht Clubs Association : About Us

I notice in your OP you say "Lismore or Arran". I don't want to dismiss your suggestion - both are very lovely places but they are rather different. Lismore is small, you could quickly start to know a lot of the population. Arran is too big to know everyone. Lismore is a long way from civilisation. Obviously, the ferry to Oban is not that long but if you need to get to a big city Glasgow is a long way. Oban itself is not exactly the cultural epicentre of Scotland if you need that sort of thing, and the hospital is small if you are heading to that age where such things become considerations etc. Arran's ferry service has its own problems, and if too close to the ferry you will be very aware of day trippers from Glasgow in the Summer but the flip side is that its much closer to facilities if you need them, but actually the Island itself is a little more self-sufficient than Lismore so you'll be able to get a lot of services without having to get on a ferry.

I think sometimes people get caught up in the romanticism of living on an island. The ferries stop at night (last ferry to Arran on a Sunday is about 6pm) so you have to plan mainland trips around that. Every package/delivery will cost you more and take longer. Winter on an island can be very long - if you are coming from Cornwall the difference in daylight will be noticeable; of course so will the much quieter traffic etc but you know all the good stuff.
From a sailing point of view, Arran has no anchorages or mooring locations that are sheltered from all directions. Brodick is open to the East and Loch Ranza to the NE. Lamlash is the closest, but even though it is sheltered from all directions, the sheltered area is large enough to be uncomfortable (the pilot directions suggest that when describing it as an anchorage one should think of naval flotillas!), and different locations within the anchorage are suggested for different wind directions. I think that none are accepted by insurers as suitable for year-round use, and there are few facilities for hauling out (I think Loch Ranza has some).

A hazard that makes day-trippers pale into insignificance is that the place is descended upon by geology students in the summer; Arran is a favourite place for students' first field experience (I was one many moons ago!). A critical skill for geologists is the ability to find places where beer is available!

Visit site
From a sailing point of view, Arran has no anchorages or mooring locations that are sheltered from all directions. Brodick is open to the East and Loch Ranza to the NE. Lamlash is the closest, but even though it is sheltered from all directions, the sheltered area is large enough to be uncomfortable (the pilot directions suggest that when describing it as an anchorage one should think of naval flotillas!), and different locations within the anchorage are suggested for different wind directions. I think that none are accepted by insurers as suitable for year-round use, and there are few facilities for hauling out (I think Loch Ranza has some).

A hazard that makes day-trippers pale into insignificance is that the place is descended upon by geology students in the summer; Arran is a favourite place for students' first field experience (I was one many moons ago!). A critical skill for geologists is the ability to find places where beer is available!

Fimacca

Visit site
I am from Lismore. PM me if you want any info. Plenty small moorings available , but the sailing season is shorter there - so you need a dry space safe out of water for more than half the year ! And be prepared for rain, midges, and the broineach !!

The sailing when able is spectacular however...........