Waveline 270 dinghy - how to cover logo which is going sticky?

dunedin

Visit site
We have Waveline 270 dinghy which has been great. However after 3 years in the sun the small "rubber" logo (se picture) has gone sticky, and is causing marks / damage to clothing.
(Why do they fit these, as had the same problem with the logo on previous Seago dinghy.)

What are folks recommendations for preventing further problems - eg
(a) Cover with some other material ? If so what glue would stick to this?
(b) Paint over with something which will seal and stabilise the material ?
Cosmetics less important than preventing the sticky stuff spreading.

Thanks

Waveline 270 logo patch.png

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
We have Waveline 270 dinghy which has been great. However after 3 years in the sun the small "rubber" logo (se picture) has gone sticky, and is causing marks / damage to clothing.
(Why do they fit these, as had the same problem with the logo on previous Seago dinghy.)

Thanks

View attachment 125375
I have the same dinghy with the same issue, except that the tubes on mine have also gone ultra sticky (2 years old now). From new I’ve used Autumn Race UV protector cream, however I have probably used it more liberally than recommended so not sure if the problem is the tubes or the overapplication of AR.

westernman

www.devalk.nl

Thanks
How about talcum powder?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Our first Waveline 2.9 went sticky so when we bought the second I sewed up chaps. Tubes fine after 8 1/2 years but fittings started to come unglued at about 6 years and even when re-glued with Polymarine 2 part adhesive, fail again after 6 months in Algarve sun. Part of the transom to tube joint now coming unstuck so most likely time for a new one.

Dsc_0768a.jpg

Last edited:

Helidan

Visit site

Thanks

View attachment 125375
how about simply removing the logo plate? Assuming it's bonded on with adhesive and not thermal welded you should be able to remove it with some carefully applied heat. Otherwise, some MEK solvent will tidy it up.

Pete735

Visit site
I have the same problem with my 5 year old Waveco 2.7 inflatable. I have tried warming the logo carefully with a heat gun to remove it completely and clean up with a suitable solvent, the trouble is either the manufacturer has used a really good adhesive or I am not being aggressive enough with the heat gun. Given the rest of the inflatable is in good condition I'm wary about wrecking it, but it is a pain. Considerable googling brought up no similar incidents until this thread popped up as I was hoping to find a good remedy. Maybe someone has one of these on its last legs and cares to give it a real go with the heat gun and report back?

I also wondered about overpainting it, but painting onto a sticky surface to start with? I couldn't think of anything remotely suitable.

Is MEK allright for PVC, it's a pretty powerful solvent?

Helidan

Visit site
I have the same problem with my 5 year old Waveco 2.7 inflatable. I have tried warming the logo carefully with a heat gun to remove it completely and clean up with a suitable solvent, the trouble is either the manufacturer has used a really good adhesive or I am not being aggressive enough with the heat gun. Given the rest of the inflatable is in good condition I'm wary about wrecking it, but it is a pain. Considerable googling brought up no similar incidents until this thread popped up as I was hoping to find a good remedy. Maybe someone has one of these on its last legs and cares to give it a real go with the heat gun and report back?

I also wondered about overpainting it, but painting onto a sticky surface to start with? I couldn't think of anything remotely suitable.

Is MEK allright for PVC, it's a pretty powerful solvent?
it can take a moderate amount of heat to soften the adhesive enough to get it to let go, if you do end up pulling off some of the PVC coating it's easy to patch over. MEK is the correct solvent for PVC - toluene for Hypalon.

Pete735

Visit site
Helidan, maybe we are slightly at cross purposes here, I don't want a PVC solvent (that would defeat the object) as I want to retain the integrity of the PVC and only dissolve and remove the adhesive the manufacturer used to glue the logo on. This all presupposes I have the nerve to heat the logo enough to allow me to remove it and I'm not sure of that yet!

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Helidan, maybe we are slightly at cross purposes here, I don't want a PVC solvent (that would defeat the object) as I want to retain the integrity of the PVC and only dissolve and remove the adhesive the manufacturer used to glue the logo on. This all presupposes I have the nerve to heat the logo enough to allow me to remove it and I'm not sure of that yet!
Try talcum powder first.
After a couple of applications, all stickiness should be gone without chemicals, heat destruction or any other violence.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Also had a Waveline 270 with the same problem. I was going to skim the top of the logo off with careful application of a razor blade mounted in a dead-skin remover for feet. Never got round to it and bought a ZarMINI Rib to replace it.

It is a problem I have found with many plastic fittings in the med, happened to a few of my fenders too.

Helidan

Visit site
Please be assured that used correctly PVC solvent (MEK) can be used to remove the remaining adhesive and not affect in any way the fabric integrity. I repair PVC boats frequently at an MCA approved liferaft service station and never have problems.

Pete735

Visit site
Ok thanks Helidan, on the basis of the easiest first, we have talcum powder so thats pretty easy to have a go at, then, if necessary, it's back out with the heat gun I think and be a bit more vigourous than last time.

Pete735

Visit site
Westernman, a couple of puffs from a Safeway (tells you how old it is) branded container of talcum powder when I got home tonight and all signs of stickiness completely disappeared, I must admit to being quite astonished. The tender is inside my shed, 90% inflated on its side till next season so is not going to be subject to any excessive inclement weather for 6 months so my question is; once its been out in the rain will the logo revert to its former stickiness when the talc has washed off or is the issue over completely?

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Westernman, a couple of puffs from a Safeway (tells you how old it is) branded container of talcum powder when I got home tonight and all signs of stickiness completely disappeared, I must admit to being quite astonished. The tender is inside my shed, 90% inflated on its side till next season so is not going to be subject to any excessive inclement weather for 6 months so my question is; once its been out in the rain will the logo revert to its former stickiness when the talc has washed off or is the issue over completely?
Good question.

Don't know. I think there is every chance that it won't revert to its former stickiness - enough of the talc will stick to stop it being sticky and won't easily be washed off.

dunedin

Visit site
Thanks all for your suggestions. Tender is now hibernating in the garage until next spring, so not had a go at doing anything yet. Regarding the suggestions:
  • Talcum powder sounds like an ideal lazy solution, if it lasts - but not sure how long it will stay on with Scotland's occasional rain showers ?
  • Equally tailored chaps clearly ideal for Med / Caribbean but perhaps overkill for Scottish climate, particularly as only a small logo patch gone sticky
  • Removal entirely - like Pete, not sure if want to start on that route in case causes more damage, or leaves even more sticky - perhaps try other things first
  • PVC paint sounds interesting, but can somebody show me an example ? Or is it the same as the uPVC paint, that seems to be for double glazing etc?
  • Hammerite Special Metal Primer ! Could give a touch of that on a test corner