Wasp Type S10 Trailing log

NorthRising

Visit site
Hi does anyone have a copy of the original instructions for one of these? Deployment looks very simple. On the back there is a a small screw, and I wonder what its function is... ?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Thanks, here is a photo of the back, screw highlighted in red.
Looks like a lubricating point to me.

Assuming it's like a Walker ...

* To deploy, connect to the log then start paying out from the log end until it's all out, forming a loop in the water, and th espinner is still beside you. Lob the spinner in, well clear of the rope.

* To bring in, unclip from the log and pull in the spinner while paying out the free end you just unclipped. The cord will be twisted as you bring it in but untwists as it goes out. When you have brough in and paid out the whole line, so the spinner is in your hand, haul in the line.

Sounds complicated, but in practice dead easy and takes 30s tops each way.

Amlov

Visit site
With ours we have a cone made from the top of a tonic water bottle, or similar, with a split down it. To recover the spinner we slip the plastic cone over the line to the spinner and let it slide down the line to cover the spinner. This stops it spinning and it can be recovered without the line getting all knotted up.

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
With ours we have a cone made from the top of a tonic water bottle, or similar, with a split down it. To recover the spinner we slip the plastic cone over the line to the spinner and let it slide down the line to cover the spinner. This stops it spinning and it can be recovered without the line getting all knotted up.
Now that is ingenious ?

Plum

Visit site
Hi does anyone have a copy of the original instructions for one of these? Deployment looks very simple. On the back there is a a small screw, and I wonder what its function is... ?
Sorry for delay. Have now found the instructions for my Wasp trailing log but it appears to be a different model to yours as there is no small screw on the back. My instructions here 20201216_184636_resize_87.jpg

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

differentroads

Thanks for posting that. I've been wondering how to oil the 50 year old Walker log that I inherited from my dad. The answer: don't!
I last used it 2 years ago. It read within 7% of the SOG and distance over ground on my GPS and, though there's no tidal current in the part of the Med I was in, there can be an ocean current of a knot or more. I ought to do a calibration table one day, running up and down reciprocal courses.

VicS

Visit site
Thanks for posting that. I've been wondering how to oil the 50 year old Walker log that I inherited from my dad. The answer: don't!
I last used it 2 years ago. It read within 7% of the SOG and distance over ground on my GPS and, though there's no tidal current in the part of the Med I was in, there can be an ocean current of a knot or more. I ought to do a calibration table one day, running up and down reciprocal courses.

Operating and maintenance instructions for Walker KDO and KDS Mk IIIA:

scan0014.jpg
scan0015.jpg
scan0016.jpg
scan0017.jpg

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Looks like a lubricating point to me.

Assuming it's like a Walker ...

* To deploy, connect to the log then start paying out from the log end until it's all out, forming a loop in the water, and th espinner is still beside you. Lob the spinner in, well clear of the rope.

* To bring in, unclip from the log and pull in the spinner while paying out the free end you just unclipped. The cord will be twisted as you bring it in but untwists as it goes out. When you have brough in and paid out the whole line, so the spinner is in your hand, haul in the line.

Sounds complicated, but in practice dead easy and takes 30s tops each way.
A good additional tip is to make sure that you pass the end of the bit you're paying out round a stanchion. If you slip with our fingers as you pull in the ever twisting line, you've got a chance to grab the tail...
It's a great tip, but I always used to end up losing the funnel I've made and ended up reverting to plan A
.Walker Logs DO need oiling. Mine has a special oil can and a little hole in the face to drip the oil through.
Don't know about Wasp trailing logs as I have only used one a couple of times.
Even Walker Logs come in difference guises.
Mine happens to be on the shelf in my study next to me atm:865EA69D-6965-45F4-B5EA-368916151A5B.jpeg

8C655C72-784C-415E-867D-DD442E6F667C.jpeg

EA7AF31D-86D2-4AE8-ADBD-34F5FE82BD0E.jpeg

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I was given a Walker log some years ago and included with it was a section of plastic bottle as you described. Now I know its purpose. Thanks!

NorthRising

Visit site
Sorry for delay. Have now found the instructions for my Wasp trailing log but it appears to be a different model to yours as there is no small screw on the back. My instructions here View attachment 105174

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
Many thanks for looking and for the instructions, even if they are for a different model. Here is hoping that 2021 sees the virus under control and an opportunity to use the log on some passage making.

differentroads

Hi, is it possible to reset the trip counter on one of these please? I've just acquired one.
Not possible on the Wasp log, as far as I know. I looked into it for mine but it seems that a low speed drill and looooooots of patience would be needed.

If you are going to spend time on your Wasp, give it oil through the screw hole. Sewing machine oil is probably best - very light - though mine got 3in1 because its what I had on board.

And calibrate it. The mileometer on mine reads 10 to 15% high (I must get around to doing a more accurate correction chart before I go offshore proper) and the speedo around 20% high.