Warning - Sneaky Little Islands in SOL

Dipper

Visit site
I came across what the experienced players call Sneaky Little Islands (SLI's). They are minute green dots on the screen and the ones I have seen are in a long line a bit like a reef. There are some between the 2nd and 3rd most westerly Cape Verde islands. These show up as a long very thin green line. When I saw them before, I thought it was a glitch in the graphics.

You can sail over them if you are very lucky as the server only updates every 15 seconds or so but if it does it at the wrong time you are aground! There's one boat on them at the moment.

I was about to gybe over them when I spotted some of the chatters warning a friend as he was about to hit them.

Zoom right in to the next mark to see them there as well!!!

Dipper

Visit site
Blimey. You just missed them!

I was trying to post that information late last night but these forums had decided to go on strike!

You aren't in a bad position at the moment although I still can't work out what to do to get through the doldrums. Some of the top seeds are on my/our course so we can't be too far out.

BrendanS

Visit site
Well I've gone from 350's to 202, and made nearly 40 places overnight, so must be doing something right!

I still have no real idea what I'm doing though! Not receiving any more pm's to gybe now! So just having to just go on gut instinct and do my own thing for the past couple of days.

I'm not looking at the tracks of other ybw racers purposely, so that I don't just follow their tracks, and simply learn by experience of what works, which does seem to be working at least a bit.

On autopilot now for a few hours!

Dipper

Visit site
I don't follow others but once I've made my decision it's nice to see that some of the top seeds are in the area (although well in front /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif).