Warning from VisitMyHarbour about Marine Navigator

Plum

Visit site

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Begs question - why would they do that ??
VMH say they don't know, but that it may be connected somehow with Windows 11 - but I don't see how that makes sense! They also point out that Google's terms and conditions weigh several kilograms, so there's very unlikely to be any come-back, because somewhere in there there will be some weasel words that allow them to do what they want!

Telstar26

www.parkerseal.org.uk
I had the Google "not activated" message, but it went away if there was no internet (no Wifi or mobile data) when starting the app, But I can't say how reliable that solution is - the message may come back.

What VMH don't explicitly say is that you need to pay again for the non-Google version activation! £8.65, so worth it.

jlavery

Visit site
It's because Google have introduced new rules about apps monitoring location in the background. This is obviously needed by this app.

From what I've read, the developer decided not to update the app to comply with the rules, and so it was removed from the Play store.

These rules are updated by Google and Apple from time to time. Usually with good reason - in this case to stop apps silently tracking users and/or draining the battery with background processing.

However, updating an app to comply can be a lot of work. I've been caught by this sort of change in the past.

I haven't fully read the rule change yet or his reason for not updating the app, but this is my take on it.

Whaup367

Visit site
I think jlavery is right- they previously blocked downloads from the Play Store because of this, it seems likely (to me) that what they are doing now is rolling out that enforcement to installed apps.

The developer's position is that background tracking for this app is an essential safety feature. Google's position is that it should not be permitted.

I'd be interested to know what the Navionics Boating app does.

Refueler

Visit site
I think jlavery is right- they previously blocked downloads from the Play Store because of this, it seems likely (to me) that what they are doing now is rolling out that enforcement to installed apps.

The developer's position is that background tracking for this app is an essential safety feature. Google's position is that it should not be permitted.

Is it not that the app should ask user if such tracking is accepted ?

jlavery

Visit site

Not quite... here are the developer's own words (my bold)

"Google has removed the app due to a new policy which doesn't allow apps to log location updates in the background. I have to add an additional dialog which informs the user that the logger logs location updates. Further, the Playstore only accepts updates which are compiled against Android 10, which requires additional modifications and a thorough test of the updated version. It's ridiculous. Nevertheless, I will try to submit an update as soon as possible. I will keep you up-to-date regarding the progress."

So they allow background location updates, but the app must notify the user. They've also increased the minimum version of Android which an app will run on to Android 10, which is a regular occurrence. So he's decided that he hasn't got the time to do these updates, and has therefore accepted that it won't be available on the Android Play Store.

dunedin

Visit site
Not quite... here are the developer's own words (my bold)

"Google has removed the app due to a new policy which doesn't allow apps to log location updates in the background. I have to add an additional dialog which informs the user that the logger logs location updates. Further, the Playstore only accepts updates which are compiled against Android 10, which requires additional modifications and a thorough test of the updated version. It's ridiculous. Nevertheless, I will try to submit an update as soon as possible. I will keep you up-to-date regarding the progress."

So they allow background location updates, but the app must notify the user. They've also increased the minimum version of Android which an app will run on to Android 10, which is a regular occurrence. So he's decided that he hasn't got the time to do these updates, and has therefore accepted that it won't be available on the Android Play Store.
So the navigation app is what Google would consider a dangerous or badly developed app, and hence no longer permitted on their App Store. Apple and Microsoft also have rules on app design, and remove apps which fail to meet their standards - or fail to get updated to meet new standards.
The developer needs to invest the time and effort to make compliant or withdraw from market. As a general policy, it can be a bad idea to direct download apps outside the relevant platform App Store, as you are then entirely reliant on the developer to avoid rogue code being introduced onto your device.

jlavery

Visit site
Welcome to my world. If you have an app out on the stores, you have to commit to keeping it updated to comply with evolving store rules. If you don't this is the consequence.

Whaup367

Visit site
This seems to be part of the flow (I think it's more intentional than a drift) towards subscription models. It's getting more difficult to buy and own something, you are expected to rent it.

I don't know if this is a good thing in general, it makes sense where the environment is fundamentally dynamic, so static products age rapidly, but the tendency to ramp up subscription rates once a user is invested and subject to a switching cost is galling.

jlavery

Visit site
I think VMH don't understand who's actually responsible for this situation. They clearly don't understand how the app stores work.
On their website:

The issue relates to the tracking function which has always been a feature in the app from the start. The fact that it will continue tracking (only if the user turns tracking ON) when the screen goes off with app running in background has fallen foul of some new rule that Google has recently made up.

A bit of a blow for VMH...Chartpacks for use with Marine Navigator are our best selling product by volume, right from 2013 they have proved really popular. Marine Navigator is a simple full featured lightweight app that will run well on old devices as well as new. There are many loyal users who regularly update and buy fresh charts, and use as their "go to" nav app.

Nevertheless, we can't blame Mr Koenig. Being bullied by a USA mega-corp, who change their rules years down the road must be galling, esp. when the user already knowingly has to turn the tracking feature on. Illogical.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Perhaps somebody might suggest to VMH, I am not a customer as I use paper charts, to migrate to the Open Source community. More and more of the apps I download come from there.

dunedin

Visit site
This seems to be part of the flow (I think it's more intentional than a drift) towards subscription models. It's getting more difficult to buy and own something, you are expected to rent it.

I don't know if this is a good thing in general, it makes sense where the environment is fundamentally dynamic, so static products age rapidly, but the tendency to ramp up subscription rates once a user is invested and subject to a switching cost is galling.
From what was quoted above it does not seem so. The quote of the developers apparent words includes their perceived issue about changing the software to comply with Android 10 - which was introduced in March 2019.
On the face of it (from these quotes, so may not be the full story) it just sounds like the app developer isn’t investing in keeping their product current with technology - and more than 4 years out of date?

There are plenty of other apps available to use with raster charts if that is your thing, including the recent AngelNav.

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
I had the Google "not activated" message, but it went away if there was no internet (no Wifi or mobile data) when starting the app, But I can't say how reliable that solution is - the message may come back.

What VMH don't explicitly say is that you need to pay again for the non-Google version activation! £8.65, so worth it.
Yes, I had a "not licensed " message on my phone and the app would not open. I have Marine Navigator on two tablets not connected to the internet and MN is still working on them.

Whaup367

Visit site
From what cribbed above it does not seem so. The quote of the developers apparent words includes their perceived issue about changing the software t9 comply with Android 10 - which was introduced in March 2019.
On the face of it (from these quotes, so may not be the full story) it just sounds like the app developer isn’t investing in keeping their product current with technology - and more than 4 years out of date?

There are plenty of other apps available to use with raster charts if that is your thing, including the recent AngelNav.

AngelNav looks to be single-platform, unfortunately. I'd be interested to hear recommendations for other raster-chart applications that work well on Android gear. I'm currently using Marine Navigator and it seems pretty stable.

Do Apple even make a tablet that's suitable for navigation? I don't think any of them have an IP rating, sunlight readable screen or high drop-resistance... though I have to admit I haven't done anything more than a cursory search on the subject.
There are pretty good options for Android tablets, including the SailProof ones as well as Samsung's Active-Tabs.