Volvo Penta MD 21A Manifold

jkcathome

Visit site
Anyone know how I might find a manifold for this 1978 engine? Volvo Penta helpfully don't make them anymore.

Thanks

Topcat47

Visit site
These are a vulnerable item and any you find second hand will require very close inspection. The spares problem was what decided me to re-engine when My MD1b needed a top end overhaul.

A fabricator offeed to make one up from square dteel tubing for me but when I costed the whole job, it wasn't cost-effective.

[448]

Visit site
This is a Peugeot based engine. I had one made in stainless many years ago. Cheaper than Volvo part. I think the exhaust porting on these engines is the same as the later 2.3 and 2.5 diesels.
Cheers, Dave.

Will_M

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Volvo Penta helpfully don't make them anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they dont, thats all bar 30 years ago now, those engines started production 38 years ago, yours being a mere young’n at 29 would be one of the later ones!!

Those Peugeot based engines were short lived, pretty much a safe bet the only place your find anything like a manifold is locating a half decent complete engine and breaking it for spares. Chances are though, you find one, it will be as broke as yours..

You see them, the engines, from time to time on the likes of
boatsandoutboards .

Or get one fabricated...

eddieperkins

Visit site
ASAP Supplies or Lancing Marine may be able to help. Take a rubbing of the flange that shows size and hole positions and they should be able to match it up. You can also try Coastal Rides who will probably have a secondhand one. Also worth trying Northgate Marine, VP dealer in beccles, I sold him two used ones (from an AQAD) about 5 years ago, probably not got them anymore but worth asking. If all else fails you may need to get one fabricated.
Regards,
Eddie