Volvo Penta Crank case Breather Filter D4 D6 D9 3584145

fishy Finger

Visit site
Hi All,

I am in the process of sourcing parts to carry out a service on my D4 225 engine. I have managed to get all of the main filters at a more reasonable price, by buying non OE, but equivalent ones. I am having a hard time in accepting the ransom that is being asked for the Volvo Penta Crank case Breather Filter D4 D6 D9 3584145. Most suppliers want in the region of £75-£95 for this filter. (It doesn't look as its made from gold) Anybody got a link to a aftermarket one at a more reasonable price. Not saying I would, but has anybody ever cleaned the said filter and re-used?

Thanks in advance Steve

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi All,

I am in the process of sourcing parts to carry out a service on my D4 225 engine. I have managed to get all of the main filters at a more reasonable price, by buying non OE, but equivalent ones. I am having a hard time in accepting the ransom that is being asked for the Volvo Penta Crank case Breather Filter D4 D6 D9 3584145. Most suppliers want in the region of £75-£95 for this filter. (It doesn't look as its made from gold) Anybody got a link to a aftermarket one at a more reasonable price. Not saying I would, but has anybody ever cleaned the said filter and re-used?

Thanks in advance Steve

Do not try and clean it, it's there for a purpose, to clean and separate the crankcase fumes from smoke particles back into a liquid then returned to the sump. There are Chinese copies out there at half the price but beware.

It never ceases to amaze me why owners try and save a few quid when they have tens of thousands invested in a boat.

Make your own choice on filters, make sure your oil filters have the correct anti drain valves fitted and the fuel filters are the correct micron and flow rating.

Lastly, do you know for example how much a new CP pump is and injectors? Also there is no rebuild kit for the D range motor, its a short block and starts at above 10k plus.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
I find the cheapest way to buy the main filters etc is to just buy the service kit, which for the D6 includes the two oil filters, the secondary fuel filter, the air filter, impeller and crankcase breather filter. I paid about £200 per engine for this kit earlier this year.

CHI

Visit site
Hi Paul.

I was told by a Volvo Main Dealer Engineer to clean the crankcase filter in clean Diesel, as they do !!! Obviously not a good idea then.

Should these filters be changed annually?

Thanks

Keith
CHI

Trundlebug

Visit site
I used to buy my breather filters from Aquapart, (now Watercraft Services?) considerably cheaper and did the job perfectly well.

Not sure if yours has the same screw-on perforated bean can type breather as my early Volvo.

My manual says change annually but that gets oppressively expensive. I now change them when they start to stink.

bluejasper2

Visit site
you can buy this kit from keypart about £340 including oil, i have d4 260 you just have to grin and bare it new engine £25,000 plus not worth the risk in my opinion.

David2452

Visit site
Paul is exactly right (as usual) people have a motor the price of an average family car and baulk at paying three or four hundred quid a year for service parts, it just doesn't add up.

fishy Finger

Visit site
Thank you all for the replies. I am not baulking or anything other wise. I like a lot of people, work very hard to own and run the boat of our dreams. I just couldn't and still cannot see how Volvo can charge so much for a very basic filter.

GrahamHR

Visit site
Do not try and clean it, it's there for a purpose, to clean and separate the crankcase fumes from smoke particles back into a liquid then returned to the sump. There are Chinese copies out there at half the price but beware.

To be honest, with the reliability of the ancillary VP equipment, I would feel no compunction about using non VP parts.

Why not send the particulates (smoke) and crankcase fumes directly into the exhaust or into an extra underwater outlet? A cheap free option. It's not like the diesel particulates will be airborne and carcinogenic ( maybe to fish ?) like on "dirty" road diesels when their DPF is removed

Last edited:

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
To be honest, with the reliability of the ancillary VP equipment, I would feel no compunction about using non VP parts.

Why not send the particulates (smoke) and crankcase fumes directly into the exhaust or into an extra underwater outlet? A cheap free option. It's not like the diesel particulates will be airborne and carcinogenic ( maybe to fish ?) like on "dirty" road diesels when their DPF is removed

Somehow I just don't think volvopenta would be stupid enough to do this as there engines would not meet any standards relating to emissions , the idea of having saltwater into the crankcase sounds a great idea, perhaps you could suggest this to the design dept at Southampton boatshow. I have seen many old fords do this with a breather pipe from the rocker cover to a skin fitting, the oil slick down the side of the hull looks just great!

GrahamHR

Visit site
Somehow I just don't think volvopenta would be stupid enough to do this as there engines would not meet any standards relating to emissions , the idea of having saltwater into the crankcase sounds a great idea, perhaps you could suggest this to the design dept at Southampton boatshow. I have seen many old fords do this with a breather pipe from the rocker cover to a skin fitting, the oil slick down the side of the hull looks just great!

Volvo Penta stupid ? Like using untinned wire for underwater electrical components? Unthinkable ( but true I'm afraid).).

Why would saltwater get into the crankcase ? Surely it's pressure in the crankcase above atmospheric pressure that causes "fumes" to be generated that need to be handled somehow ? Saltwater obeys the laws of physics, even Volvo Penta engines have to, if the pressure in a crankcase is higher that the pressure it is under, then salt water won't go in there.

Even since the 1960s road vehicles had PCV valves, cheap simple mechanical things that allowed engines to burn excessive crankcase fumes My 2004 V8 Volvo Penta had one, but that was a GM engine of course. Why not use a condenser/ catch tank to trap those fumes/ condense the oil for ultimate environmentally safe disposal. It's not a new idea.

Why wouldn't a catch tank work? Or is it that modern diesel engines have so much piston ring blow by/ crankcase pressure that they would be overwhelmed ?

humphrey231074

Visit site
Crankcase filters catch mist from combustion/crankcase generated fumes,Yachtboatparts.com sell them--

http://www.yachtboatparts.com/volvo-penta-crank-case-breather-filter-d4-d6-d9-3584145-1490-p.asp

and I can confirm that they are the same filter that volvo put in their box... not just a copy but from the same manufacturer/supplier, but at only £29.99 rather than Volvo Penta's £94.56

I have a D6 that has done approx 4400 hours and I have bought filters from these guys for the last 3 years and the non genuine parts they supply seems to last just as long as the Genuine parts..(if not longer).. They wouldn't sell me a non genuine oil filter because they said that although there is one available they were not totally happy with it so only offer the genuine filter.... They told me that they also run a marine engineering business and their volvo trained engineers have tried and tested all the non genuine products before they sell them on the website.

GrahamHR

Visit site
Crankcase filters catch mist from combustion/crankcase generated fumes,Yachtboatparts.com sell them--

http://www.yachtboatparts.com/volvo-penta-crank-case-breather-filter-d4-d6-d9-3584145-1490-p.asp

and I can confirm that they are the same filter that volvo put in their box... not just a copy but from the same manufacturer/supplier, but at only £29.99 rather than Volvo Penta's £94.56

I have a D6 that has done approx 4400 hours and I have bought filters from these guys for the last 3 years and the non genuine parts they supply seems to last just as long as the Genuine parts..(if not longer).. They wouldn't sell me a non genuine oil filter because they said that although there is one available they were not totally happy with it so only offer the genuine filter.... They told me that they also run a marine engineering business and their volvo trained engineers have tried and tested all the non genuine products before they sell them on the website.

That's really good information, thank you. Volvo Pentas mark up seems excessively greedy. I know for a fact their UK dealers discount their prices by at least 23% when they supply a marine mechanic compared to the prices they charge Joe public, those mechanics then charges full VP list price to their customer or insurance company if it's a claim. Plus, VP try to prevent access to their US parts website from outside the US, as the prices they sell at there are so much lower than even discount prices in the rest of the world.

Last edited:

beejay190

Visit site

Slight thread drift - I get my Volvo parts from a non VP franchised marine engineering firm in Poole. I went along recently for a spare impellor expecting to pay approx. £38 for a Volvo one, and they supplied a CEF (?)-made in Italy (?) for about £25. In the past they have only sold me genuine oil and fuel filters. I will need to replace crank case filter soon so will check out what make they supply.

beejay190

Visit site

I now hear that Mann Hummel (UK) Ltd manufacture the crankcase filters for Volvo and they are called Provent 200 - the inserts part no is LC5001-2 .

Does anyone know who manufacturers the D series air filter for Volvo -part no 21702999 - and what vehicle it fits.?

Geoffs

Visit site
I will continue to use VP dealers & parts, then if the lumps fail as in another thread running at the moment, at least I may have some comeback.

I doubt you'll have any come back, but agree with your sentiments.

As Volvopaul says , we have tens of thousands invested in our boats, why save £13 on an impeller?