Volvo Penta 4.3 GXi Water In Engine/Oil.

GrahamHR

Visit site
Before I bought my current boat with a D4, I had a boat with a 5.7 GXI. Fitted with an aftermarket VP fresh water cooling system, which meant the block and heads were never exposed to salt water. It also had the neutrasalt system fitted. I changed the risers after 10 years because I won a set on Ebay very cheaply indeed, but to be honest the old ones were OK. I really do recommend the Neutrasalt system, I'm not aware of a kit offered with the necessary intake adaptors for the for the D series engine though. I suspect that's because of the rivalry between the US and Swedish VP operations !

QBhoy

Visit site
Before I bought my current boat with a D4, I had a boat with a 5.7 GXI. Fitted with an aftermarket VP fresh water cooling system, which meant the block and heads were never exposed to salt water. It also had the neutrasalt system fitted. I changed the risers after 10 years because I won a set on Ebay very cheaply indeed, but to be honest the old ones were OK. I really do recommend the Neutrasalt system, I'm not aware of a kit offered with the necessary intake adaptors for the for the D series engine though. I suspect that's because of the rivalry between the US and Swedish VP operations !

Great engines the 5.7 gxi. Although the fresh water closed system wouldn’t stop the risers rotting

Riggy

Visit site
I have a 2010 Volvo 4.3 GXiE and have not yet replaced the risers.
Bought the engine from new, and a nuetra salt system installed at the same time.
It's also on a dry stack which helps.

What are these Neutra Salt System and Dry Stack systems you talk of please? This is my first petrol engine/raw water cooled/closed freshwater experience.

Last edited:

GrahamHR

Visit site
What are these Neutra Salt System and Dry Stack systems you talk of please? This is my first petrol engine/raw water cooled/closed freshwater experience.

Neutrasalt is a solution claimed to significantly reduce the corroding effect of salt water. From my experience with the cast iron manifolds and risers, it certainly seems to be true.

It's introduced via a T piece into the raw water cooling intake hose ( after the oil cooler). It's used at idle to protect the iron parts whilst the boat is not being used, the manifolds and risers then containing a Neutrasalt/ salt water mix, not saltwater alone. ( it's not used during normal use, that'd consume too much). The kit has the T piece, dash switch, solenoid valve, storage container, filter etc.

If you fit it, I'd recommend changing the filter each season, as "things" like to grow in the Neutrasalt solution ! I used cheap automotive in line fuel filters with a clear plastic case).

Scarron

Visit site
The Neutra salt system is a Volvo Penta supplied retro fit system that consists of a tank and electric valve that doses the raw water coming into the engine with a protective fluid designed to reduce the salt water corrosion that occurs when the engine is stopped. The idea is that you press the button for a dose just before you shut the engine down

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-c528-neutra-salt-engine-flushing-kit.aspx

Dry stacking is a method of storing a boat out of the water on a giant rack and lifting it in and out of the water when required using a large forklift, it means the boat is stored clean and dry when not in use.
https://www.southamptondrystack.co.uk

Riggy

Visit site
The Neutra salt system is a Volvo Penta supplied retro fit system that consists of a tank and electric valve that doses the raw water coming into the engine with a protective fluid designed to reduce the salt water corrosion that occurs when the engine is stopped. The idea is that you press the button for a dose just before you shut the engine down

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-c528-neutra-salt-engine-flushing-kit.aspx

Dry stacking is a method of storing a boat out of the water on a giant rack and lifting it in and out of the water when required using a large forklift, it means the boat is stored clean and dry when not in use.
https://www.southamptondrystack.co.uk

Thanks GrahamGHR and yourself.

I was imagining 'dry stacking' was to do with engine management as with Neutrasalt in the previous context. :cool:

I am of course familiar with dry stacking as in boat storage. :encouragement:

Riggy

Visit site
A sad update.
Unfortunately the seawater has been sat inside too long to even attempt turning over after having a gander down the plug holes, valve springs rusted to hell and back, so yesterday, with the engine out and on a stand I started stripping it down. :ambivalence:

Currently building a small sandblasting booth to see what can be salvaged, although I must say, upon inspection with the heads off, the three pots on the port side of the engine (minimal rust in the bores and on piston heads) is in quite good condition.

ymdBubs.jpg

cY8hysz.jpg