USA Visitor Boating your Thames (Again)

joejo

Visit site
We are back in Washington D.C. and though we've only been home a day, the entire crew misses your River and England. To close our trip we moored our last night at Laleham based on Joejo's good advice. The Three Horseshoes Pub also proved to be a winner. I can't tell you how surprised and pleased we were when Joejo motored over from Penton Hook to say hello and share good cheer and his long history on your River. We made a lasting valuable friend who will remain in our memory and thoughts.

We motored into Penton Hook Saturday 27 April, on what can only be described as a very crappy weather morning. High winds and light rain on an unprotected upper deck made for a very soggy return. Le Boat doesn't mark their moorings in Penton Hook until your boat is driving up their back side. Tight lanes and narrow maneuvering space reminded me of landing, taxing, and parking on an aircraft carrier deck for the first time. To say the crew got very excited and vastly more interested in my driving skills than at anytime during the trip would be an understatement. I apologize to the owner whose mooring spot I ended up in. I hope Le Boat has removed "Le Barge" from your spot by now.

Once again we remain in awe of your River, its history, and your community. Special thanks to each of you who responded and especially to you who refrained from using the "B" and "T" words.

I leave you with one of my favorite paragraphs from a favorite book which so aptly describes our joy and pleasure at having shared time on your River.

“The river - with the sunlight flashing from its dancing wavelets, gilding gold the grey-green beech-trunks, glinting through the dark, cool wood paths, chasing shadows o'er the shallows, flinging diamonds from the mill-wheels, throwing kisses to the lilies, wantoning with the weirs' white waters, silvering moss-grown walls and bridges, brightening every tiny townlet, making sweet each lane and meadow, lying tangled in the rushes, peeping, laughing, from each inlet, gleaming gay on many a far sail, making soft the air with glory - is a golden fairy stream.”

― Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat

Hi Dave

Glad to hear you got safely home and enjoying memories of your trip.

It was indeed a pleasure to share some time, a beer and some stories with you all at the Laleham mooring last Friday and pleased to hear the Three Horseshoes was also a hit.

I think you should book up again, still a few bits of the Thames you have yet to navigate.

djones18

Visit site
For Joe (jo) and other Thames Forum members who welcomed us to your community I put together a seven minute YouTube video which captured in a small way the serenity, beauty, and deep appreciation we feel for your River.

No, it’s not another home video featuring the crew, myself, 3 men in a boat, or even a dog. It features one of our favorite British actors discussing his love for your River. It is a non-commercial for-home-use only video which you can share if you wish. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did putting it together. I hope I'm not violating forum rules posting the link. If so, let me know and I'll remove it.

Here is the link: https://youtu.be/rkJtmvLDwEo

Ex "Le Barge" Driver

stingrayfan

Visit site
We are back in Washington D.C. and though we've only been home a day, the entire crew misses your River and England.
Fab to read how much you enjoyed your trip and the being on the river. We were out Cookham/Windsor stretch over that Easter weekend and it was glorious. Sounds like you need to plan your next trip over!

djones18

Visit site
To all you wonderful forum folks who shared your Thames suggestions, communicated with us and who agreed not to use the "B" or "D"/"T" word during our visit I find it mildly ironic both occupy London's attention today.

Yet, and yet here in Washington D.C. it is so quiet. It almost feels like the Good Old Days. I'm watching BBC News live reporting from Trafalgar Square and am reminded British wit is unmatched in the Western World. Thank you!

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Re. Your next Presidential election.
Believe the protestors fabled " Donald" balloon will be available for hire.(Cash only)
Happy to donate a few Euros towards campaign costs.
It will be shipped deflated.
You will need to supply your own hot air to reinflate. :)

Off this morning on boat ,to watch 35 Dakotas,some from US,overflying our area on their way to Normandy to commemorate the D day landings.
We owe a real debt of gratitude to your country which will not be forgotten.
Fred.

Last edited:

djones18

Visit site
Re. Your next Presidential election.
Believe the protestors fabled " Donald" balloon will be available for hire.(Cash only)
Happy to donate a few Euros towards campaign costs.
It will be shipped deflated.
You will need to supply your own hot air to reinflate. :)

Off this morning on boat ,to watch 35 Dakotas,some from US,overflying our area on their way to Normandy to commemorate the D day landings.
We owe a real debt of gratitude to your country which will not be forgotten.
Fred.

I didn't realize THE BALLOON could be hired. What a wonderful idea. Enough hot air here in D.C. to inflate a hundred of these.

How exciting; you are off to watch the D-Day aircraft flyover. One of those Dakotas sat in a museum for decades, was then lovingly restored by a dedicated group of volunteers, and last week flew into an airfield in the south of England. It will proudly take its place in the flyover. Really wish we could be there. Will be watching on TV here.

Fred, thank you for your kind words. Like most of your families ours also supported the greatest alliance in history. My father landed on Omaha Beach at twenty years of age. My wife's RAF aviator father flew bombers in the war. Nearly 20 years of my 34 year military service were in direct support of the alliance. Our families are bonded to your shores and the debt of gratitude goes in both directions. This Special Relationship cannot be undone by narrow minded politicians and day-trading leaders.

Enough, now back to boating. We're going boating along the fine rivers and lakes of Ireland this Fall. We may then make a another run along your Thames as there are many pubs to yet be discovered.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Watched a long line of aircraft stretching from horizon to horizon flying over the Thames estuary yesterday afternoon, included a P51.
We actually cheated a tiny bit and watched the departure from Duxford on the boat TV.:)
They took off after some considerable delay, also tracked them via smartphone on a AIS app, following their course over Essex.

Last edited: