USA Visitor Boating your Thames (Again)

TrueBlue

Visit site
Well, you have us reconsidering our upstream plan to go beyond Abingdon. Everything you describe is everything we hope to partake. Evensong sounds wonderful. Maybe we can get close enough to Oxford to go into town without getting wedged under a bridge.

There's not much in Abingdon IMHO, the stretch nearest the river is very nice, there' s a Waitrose the other side of the Abbey park and if you keep within (say) 100 yds of the river there are some great buildings to see and visit. Dunno about the pubs - we drink on board..

Le Boat were relaxed about Folly Bridge - the lady just said take the bimini down - they have at least 3 a year that get broken!

Question from Dave here -- We will be cruising from 20 April - 27 April. Should we adjust cruising time and mooring up times for higher number of boaters during the Easter Holiday period? Anyone have experience on the Benson to Henley section during this period? I expect weather may play a part though I've heard all weather is tolerable weather for an Englishman and his boat.

Easter is usually quiet, indeed anything above Reading is never totally congested until the summer school holidays. It's always? quiet in the week anyway. Having to wait for a lock is part of the pleasure when you can talk to other boaters...
Weather is totally unpredictable; GB is an island and has to suffer what's thrown at us - included the leftovers from "you lot". It may be 'hot' to us or cool in your terms.

There are a lot of liveaboards on the river and some have little regard for their surroundings, or rules, or anything else. This has given rise to a rather unpopular car parking company taking over the management of Reading and Hampton Court Palace and other moorings. There's no free period at Reading, but there is 24hour free at HCP - if you ring said company as soon as you arrive. They're a devious lot and (can be) / are slow to answer because it's a premium rate line. It's quicker to do it via the Web on a laptop or a modern phone. There are moorings outside and if full you can squeeze in along the walk towards Kingston. These are also covered by the parking company. Their website is:-

https://www.where2moor.co.uk/

The above has no connection with the original and friendly TVM site:-

https://www.thamesvisitormoorings.co.uk/

who still manage a couple of moorings. This site (copied badly by where 2 moor) shows all the official moorings and is more helpful.
There are plenty of spots where you can moor for free, but which have no bollards or nice edging (e.g. Beale Park, Pangbourne Meadows).

HCP is great - they also have Choral Evensong, but it tends to be early music - not so easy on the ear IMHO, but it's nice to sneak into a place where the visitors don't go. There's quite a community at the Palace which visitors don't appreciate.
If you say you're going to a chapel service you can get in for free - but you have to go via the "Guard Room" and mix with the inmates ..

Enough.

djones18

Visit site
I appreciate all the excellent information members here have provided especially your individual suggestions and the links to mooring and planning websites. We have seven nights on the river and I'm already seeing I can't do everything I originally planned.

So, I put this question to you. If you were taking out-of-town family members (in their 60s) down the river for 7 nights from Benson (leaving 1st day at noon) to Penton Hook (arriving last day at 9:00AM) with mandatory overnights at Henley, Windsor and Hampton Court what other overnight stops would you consider? Assume your family members can walk/hike up to about 6 miles per day and in fact want to walk to sites they visit. Assume they want to moor in quiet, beautiful, historical surroundings. Assume they can moor on river banks or at designated moorings. Assume they like good pubs/restaurants but can eat/drink onboard. Assume you won't get fed up with them and send them packing on the second day.

Okay...can you recommend mooring locations you've loved providing some variety with a pub/restaurant recommendation which might fit within the schedule I describe? Am I asking too much?

djones18

Visit site
We're on our way to England. Visiting wife's family in Cornwall then onto the Thames on the 20th. Hope we meet you along our way. Should we meet in your pub, first round is on me. Thanks again to each of you who responded to this thread. We've added your suggestions to our itinerary.

oldgit

Visit site
Hope it all goes to plan and if you do decide to visit London, this is the way to travel.
You need a "Roamer" ticket. :)
Coffee and snacks aboard.
Forget the overcrowded and expensive trip boats just hop on and off the Clippers all day and anywhere, outside the speed limit you get go at 25 knots and annoy small boats visiting the Thames. :)
https://www.thamesclippers.com/

Last edited:

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
Bank Holidays can be "not for the faint hearted" at key locks on the Thames.

For example Marsh Lock (Henley), Hurley Lock, Boutlers Lock can take a long time to get through and be particularly chaotic if you have to wait in the main stream. However if you are on the more rural stretches at these times it will be fine.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Bank Holidays can be "not for the faint hearted" at key locks on the Thames.

For example Marsh Lock (Henley), Hurley Lock, Boutlers Lock can take a long time to get through and be particularly chaotic if you have to wait in the main stream. However if you are on the more rural stretches at these times it will be fine.
++

Surely not at Easter??
(May - probably
August maybe )
But the OP is coming over at Easter time and unless there's a huge heatwave, not very likely given that traffic is down nowadays.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Queing is what we do in England at least, especially amongst the more senior folks - typical of those that inhabit the Thames. Frustrating perhaps if you're rushing to get somewhere, but all part of the experience that makes The River what it is.

In a queue - assuming you're tied up on the lock layby. Get off the boat, wander along the line exchanging pleasantries with fellow boaters and their hounds, proced up to the lock and offer to help those about to be trapped therein, by catching their lines. Most crews couldn't throw a mooring line properly to save their lives...

It's a special British phenomenon - you don't see that happening Stateside (except in small communities), so join those who have converted...

djones18

Visit site
A
Hope it all goes to plan and if you do decide to visit London, this is the way to travel.
You need a "Roamer" ticket. :)
Coffee and snacks aboard.
Forget the overcrowded and expensive trip boats just hop on and off the Clippers all day and anywhere, outside the speed limit you get go at 25 knots and annoy small boats visiting the Thames. :)
https://www.thamesclippers.com/

Great advice. Thank you. We are now in your very green country. Attended funeral for family member in Weston-Super-Mare and now visiting Cornwall. Tintagel, Port Issac (yes, the crew insisted), and wandering around the coast. Absolutely stunning coastline. Hoping Thames weather is different than Cornwall weather or we are going to need more gear. My British spouse is back in Marks and Sparks heaven. When she is happy I am happy. Onward to the river by next Saturday. Thanks again to you for persisting to educate us on your River.

oldgit

Visit site
The young very attractive weather girl on our local TV is convinced that temperatures are going up over the Easter weekend.
OG, having "experienced " 67 other Easters, has some doubts. :)

Last edited:

DWT

Visit site
I appreciate all the excellent information members here have provided especially your individual suggestions and the links to mooring and planning websites. We have seven nights on the river and I'm already seeing I can't do everything I originally planned.

So, I put this question to you. If you were taking out-of-town family members (in their 60s) down the river for 7 nights from Benson (leaving 1st day at noon) to Penton Hook (arriving last day at 9:00AM) with mandatory overnights at Henley, Windsor and Hampton Court what other overnight stops would you consider? Assume your family members can walk/hike up to about 6 miles per day and in fact want to walk to sites they visit. Assume they want to moor in quiet, beautiful, historical surroundings. Assume they can moor on river banks or at designated moorings. Assume they like good pubs/restaurants but can eat/drink onboard. Assume you won't get fed up with them and send them packing on the second day.

Okay...can you recommend mooring locations you've loved providing some variety with a pub/restaurant recommendation which might fit within the schedule I describe? Am I asking too much?

Not sure anyone has really answered this. It does depend upon how long you want to cruise each day, you could do the whole trip in about four days fairly comfortably if you needed to. I assume as well that you will need to stop near or at Penton Hook so you can be there for 9am on your last day. Here is my suggestion, but easily amended to fit your timetable:

Benson to Goring. Nice little town on the river. Only three locks, one being Benson right by the boatyard and one being Cleeve almost on top of Goring and only a small lock, so a relatively short day. As an alternative you could press on to Beale Park and stop at the moorings there, only about another 40 minutes or so and no additional locks to navigate

Goring to Pangbourne. Just a short hop. Alternatively press on to Sonning

Pangbourne to Henley. Five locks including Marsh which is just before Henley. Lots of places to moor there

Henley to Cookham. A possible lunch stop in Marlow. A bustling little town which may appeal to any shopping fans in your party, plus there is a selection of shops, restaurants, coffee bars etc

Cookham to Windsor

Windsor to ?? Possibly Runnymede, but you may need to push on to Penton Hook. Quite a long day though, but I am a bit lost for any nice stops in between

Hope this helps. I think others are right that the river tends to be fairly quiet this time of year despite the holiday, the main pinch point being around Bray which is a small lock with three marinas nearby. It's all perfectly achievable though and if the lock is on self service they all now have out of hours power which may not have been fitted at the time of your last visit. Just push a couple of buttons rather than winding the handle so really no drama there

Have a great time.

RichardB1961

Visit site
as in earlier replies Reading is best avoided and we live there too ! We often stop at Coppa club by Sonning Bridge opposite Uri Gellers house £10 to charity and Coppa club do a nice full English , The St Goerge and Dragon on the Wargrave side if space and Henley is good and some mooring just past Marlow lock. By Bourne End is the Ferry if you can find space then Broccas but I would plan to be there no later than 4 if you want a spot . There is a website called Thames Moorings https://www.thamesvisitormoorings.co.uk/map/, I think the old tradition of Swan Upping is happening tis weekend too so you may see some boats with people in Red jackets . We are off to Windsor on Friday then Back Sunday so if you see an Old Princess32 then wave ;-)
The Explore the Thames app has a route planner so is good to get a feel for timing , Reading to Windsor is a good 7hr trip , make sure you look behind you at Cliveden for a view of the House going down. Past Windsor no mooring on the Royal estate but great views .
Have fun weather looks fantastic .

TrueBlue

Visit site
No-no-no-no - The swans get their upping in the week of 15th. July - so you'll miss it, a shame 'cos it's a good bit of truly British daftness. It has a purpose and an excellent public draw with all sorts of 'normal' folk dress up in red fabric (Not 'pink' - that's reserved for the unspeakable chasing the uneatable, not that there are many Hunts left... My local hunt satbles and kennels have long since been knocked down and turned into flats. )

It's worth going into Windsor Castle - I've not tried it (other than going in for Evensong) but somethingin me says that you might get in free if you say you want to spend a short while in the Chapel...

djones18

Visit site
More great advice. Thank you. We have been to Cornwall. Now in Salisbury. Cathedral magnificent. Evensong and service wonderful. You will laugh at our rental car choice especially if you have been down Cornwall roads. Asked for a mid-sized SUV with Auto transmission and they put us in a Jag F-Pace, almost new. Driving Cornwall roads has been a bit of a challenge. At least the Sat-Nav has been excellent. On to Oxford and the Thames tomorrow. A very Happy Easter to you.

TrueBlue

Visit site
A sudden thought (well a couple) -

You've been on tne Thames before, thus may have discovered that there's quite a community spirit between the Lockies and some boaters, something quite British (?).
If your so inclined feel free to exchange pleasantries (a wave and a 'good morning / afternoon' never goes amiss). The lady lockie at Benson (if she's on duty, never seems to be when we pass by ) is friendly as are most of the others - one is a bit gruff at **** ****, but he can be warmed up...
It helps of you can throw your line accurately (rather than dump a tangle of PolyProp - hire companies don't use polyester) and neatly over the bollard will certainly show that you're a cut above the rest, and that includes private boats....

The resident at Goring has a good singing voice to comment on and he'll help you with a mooring if you're staying overnight.

Some of the locks may be unmammed but easy to operate. READ the INSTRUCTIONS if you've forgotten how they work.

Enough...

djones18

Visit site
A sudden thought (well a couple) -

You've been on tne Thames before, thus may have discovered that there's quite a community spirit between the Lockies and some boaters, something quite British (?).
If your so inclined feel free to exchange pleasantries (a wave and a 'good morning / afternoon' never goes amiss). The lady lockie at Benson (if she's on duty, never seems to be when we pass by ) is friendly as are most of the others - one is a bit gruff at **** ****, but he can be warmed up...
It helps of you can throw your line accurately (rather than dump a tangle of PolyProp - hire companies don't use polyester) and neatly over the bollard will certainly show that you're a cut above the rest, and that includes private boats....

The resident at Goring has a good singing voice to comment on and he'll help you with a mooring if you're staying overnight.

Some of the locks may be unmammed but easy to operate. READ the INSTRUCTIONS if you've forgotten how they work.

Enough...

Thanks. We will look for the lady you describe. We overnighted at new Hilton Garden Inn in Abingdon before going on to Benson today. Brand new rooms. Last night we visited Abingdon Lock and very nice Nags Head Pub. Many boats moored along shore and great numbers of people everywhere. Looks like everyone taking advantage of great weather. Got some training on Abingdon Lock Procedures as lockies had gone but many boats transiting after 5:00PM. Assisted a couple with their lines. If Abingdon is any indication, your River will be busy this holiday period. Lots of very pink bodies enjoying this quite nice weather. Crew getting very excited to get on the River.

After seeing crowds at Abingdon decided we will motor this first afternoon down river from Benson for a couple hours then stop early so we don’t have problem finding a good mooring location. Will use your advice on first night stop.

Last edited:

djones18

Visit site
Enjoyed great overnights at Goring and Sonning. Then our luck turned. Upstream of Marsh Lock the crew heard screeching sound from engine followed by all the warning lights and warning buzzers activating. Nowhere to stop except on private very, very expensive properties. Popped open the engine compartment as we had much experience with this engine on Canadian Rideau Canal cleaning water filters. A bolt had worked off one of the engine alternators, letting it come loose which led to belt failure. Decided to limp down to Marsh Lock watching engine start to overheat. Got to top of the Marsh Lock and decided engine had enough. With Lock keepers Paul and Stuart we decided entering the lock with a very sick overheating boat was dangerous to us and others so we parked close to lock entrance. You might imagine the disquiet and puzzled looks of boaters on a very busy Lock wondering why these Americans in a 45 foot long “Le Barge” were blocking their entry. So here we sat for two hours during peak lock operations time waiting for engineer. As fellow boaters entering lock understood our predicament their sympathy and best wishes were welcome and comforting. As if to say “we have been where you are mate”.

One of your forum members who goes by Lee from the boat Mary Lee I believe passed by and we had a nice long chat as they waited to pass through. We met many other very gracious boaters. After three hours and by the efforts of a very skilled engineer we were off again. We found a mooring spot at Henley, moored, and popped open our bottle of English Sparkling Wine. We had been saving it for a special occasion and decided this was the Special Occasion.

Once again we find the boating community and lockies to form a tight understanding and helpful community. The adventure continues.

oldgit

Visit site
It would appear that "HM" will be entertaining a certain President during the month of June. ?

Last edited:

Brayman

Visit site
Enjoyed great overnights at Goring and Sonning. Then our luck turned. Upstream of Marsh Lock the crew heard screeching sound from engine followed by all the warning lights and warning buzzers activating. Nowhere to stop except on private very, very expensive properties. Popped open the engine compartment as we had much experience with this engine on Canadian Rideau Canal cleaning water filters. A bolt had worked off one of the engine alternators, letting it come loose which led to belt failure. Decided to limp down to Marsh Lock watching engine start to overheat. Got to top of the Marsh Lock and decided engine had enough. With Lock keepers Paul and Stuart we decided entering the lock with a very sick overheating boat was dangerous to us and others so we parked close to lock entrance. You might imagine the disquiet and puzzled looks of boaters on a very busy Lock wondering why these Americans in a 45 foot long “Le Barge” were blocking their entry. So here we sat for two hours during peak lock operations time waiting for engineer. As fellow boaters entering lock understood our predicament their sympathy and best wishes were welcome and comforting. As if to say “we have been where you are mate”.

One of your forum members who goes by Lee from the boat Mary Lee I believe passed by and we had a nice long chat as they waited to pass through. We met many other very gracious boaters. After three hours and by the efforts of a very skilled engineer we were off again. We found a mooring spot at Henley, moored, and popped open our bottle of English Sparkling Wine. We had been saving it for a special occasion and decided this was the Special Occasion.

Once again we find the boating community and lockies to form a tight understanding and helpful community. The adventure continues.

That would have been Lady Lee.