Unwelcoming Owners' websites

oldbilbo

Visit site
The previously raised point about umbrella hosting of OA's - perhaps by YBW - is a great idea. I can see benefits in advertising and targetted marketing and think this should be explored.

Hmmm.

Thre's a lot of individual enthusiasm ploughed into Owners' Association websites and publications, and a sense of belonging. Theyr'e idiosyncratic - and probably all the better for that. I'd question whether the 'house style' constraints of an umbrella-approach hosting by the likes of YBW.com would be welcomed.

After all, most OAs enjoy their own 'storms in a teacup' squabbles peculiar to their boat-types, and would not relish being moderated by outsiders.

See what I mean....
Most Moody owners have now progressed to opposing thumbs and are able to walk upright without the extra feet.

That is until after they have raided their beautifully fitted out drinks cabinet in which case, after an hour or so, they revert to walking around on all fours again.

Hope this helps..

However, perhaps there may be mileage in a Register-thread of Owners Associations, with the details and a brief message being kept up to date by the associations.....

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Hmmm.

Thre's a lot of individual enthusiasm ploughed into Owners' Association websites and publications, and a sense of belonging. Theyr'e idiosyncratic - and probably all the better for that. I'd question whether the 'house style' constraints of an umbrella-approach hosting by the likes of YBW.com would be welcomed.

After all, most OAs enjoy their own 'storms in a teacup' squabbles peculiar to their boat-types, and would not relish being moderated by outsiders.

My suggestion is that YBW host OA forums only, not whole websites, and that each OA moderates and controls access to its section as it wishes.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If it's hosted on here then Time will likely gain access to the content and I don't see that's a benefit to anyone except Time.... If I was an OA mod I'd not do it.

What damage would they do with it? The upside would be more traffic, easier access (I am in three OAs, which have three completely different sets of forums) and professional maintenance.

Seajet

Visit site
Count me out then. I have pledged that my Bavaria Yacht Forum will be free from advertising and subscriptions. I manage on donations and a few Amazon Associate links.

Reckon I feel the same; I happily mention pro-active firms like sails lofts who offer us a discount, but I don't get any money from them, and that's probably in everyone's best interests.

However I am open to the idea of as many promotional personal assistants as ' Bikini Crumpet dot.uk.com.org Monthly ' are able to send my way. :)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
An interesting benefit from being a member of an owner's assocation here:
http://www.theca.org.uk/applications

I imagine their premises may also be useful if you want to hold an association event there.

25% discount, first year only. Nice, but not quite enough for me to rejoin the CA. I was a member years ago and found them spectacularly cliquey and hostile to newcomers. I am told, however, that they are very much better now, so it's really only the distance from civilisation to Limehouse which deters me. St Katherine's Dock was much handier.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I've owned and run the Fairline Owners Club (more of a Forum really) for the last 13 years. I struggle to see what costs are so significant to be worth passing on to member. The software (phpBB is free) and the hosting costs less than £50 a year.