Unsupported row around UK

SaltIre

Visit site
They had some fishing gear tangled round their rudder and dagger board yesterday, but freed it and were able to move from the east to the by then more sheltered west side of the bay.
Sitting poised, ready to roll, we waited for a lull before hauling anchor and moving. Easier said than done, however, as some stray fishing gear decided to become tangled on our dagger board and rudder. Out with the boat hook and knife to get choppy choppy, and we were soon free, and quickly we made our way across the Loch. The wind speeds significantly higher than forecast (again), so we have stayed put this afternoon. We are monitoring the situation, but it looks to be Thursday before we get enough of a break to move.
https://www.thelongrowhome.co.uk/keep-track/
The move today to the pier area began ~11.45BST.
1723637468721.png

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
They are sitting out yet more bad weather.

This recent statement is the first sign they are doubting if they will complete.

"This is stressful for us both, as we *can* finish this – we have it in us to do so and we desperately want to, having put everything into this, yet we are acutely aware our time left is ticking away before we are due back at work, etc. There is still time at the moment; we just need a break from constant bad weather hold ups!”"

I really hope if it got to the wire, their employers would make it clear they have more time before they need to be back at work to take the pressure off.

Steve_N

Visit site
Indeed, great progress yesterday working 2x flood tides. Looks like they dropped the hook East of Torsa/Ardinamir around 23:00.
Off again today already on the first of the flood to Cuan Sound. Sound of Mull beckons..

Last edited:

jlavery

Visit site
I was expecting them to go up under Clachan Bridge - would have saved several miles. But needs to be at HW (or at least not LW) and maybe conflicts with the "mainland Britain" definition. Also tidal streams unpredictable?

So Cuan makes sense!

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I would have thought going straight through Sound of Luing would have been better. The passage west of the Cuan Sound can be awkward from the Lee shore, prevailing winds slop. Maybe it is shorter or faster. Seil Sound adds some mileage to make up for easterly displacement to get to Sound of Mull. Perhaps it just offers better stops for rest when tide is against them.

Hope they don’t hit a rock named Claymore near cleit rock.

bikedaft

Visit site
I was expecting them to go up under Clachan Bridge - would have saved several miles. But needs to be at HW (or at least not LW) and maybe conflicts with the "mainland Britain" definition. Also tidal streams unpredictable?

So Cuan makes sense!
pretty shallow at N end, so they would miss most of a N going tide then. I was wondering the same :cool:

i also would have headed straight up Snd Luing, flat water and fast, but i haven't been rowing for months on a ?starvation diet :)

bikedaft

Visit site
they now look as thought they are stopping for this tide in the S anchorage of Cuan Sound.

am wondering about going to say hello to them over the weekend - it is an amazing achievement. Not sure how manoeuvrable these rowing boats are, especially in wind, and they are generally close to land...

skua164

Visit site
I'm based in Kilmelford and have also been following their journey closely and wanted to try and catch them, just to offer best wishes and congratulations.

Having watched their progress up the Sound of Jura Yesterday, I was surprised they chose to continue to Cuan. I to was expecting them to use Luing Sound. I am guessing it was more miles towards the objective whilw the Tide was favourable.

Finding that they were anchored just off Ardinamir last Night and still there when I checked around 5 am I set off this morning to try catch them while they waited for the Tide.

The wind was pretty robust and I was hard pressed single handed in a half decker even reefed ( Rustler 24 ). About 2/3rds down the Loch, while I could have got there I concluded it was a pointless exercise so turned round back to the Mooring.

As it turned out it was a wise decision as it was only when I returned to shore I found that they had moved to the achorage the other side of Torsa. Wind appears to have eased a little now from the view out of the Window.

I'm surprised they didnt make some progress on Wednesday (I think it was) instead of spending an extra Day at Craighouse. Winds were light and it was warm and sunny.

Whether they make it round or not, due to their work commitments, isn't important in my view, although I'm sure if that is the case they will feel bitterly disappointed. They shouldn't - It's a fantastic and dedicated achievement and their record of the trip both written and in the podcasts is second to none. they deserve much more recognition for what they have done.

When you think about it they will have been at Sea, unsupported for pretty much the same length of time as a Vendee Globe race.

SaltIre

Visit site
they now look as thought they are stopping for this tide in the S anchorage of Cuan Sound.

am wondering about going to say hello to them over the weekend - it is an amazing achievement. Not sure how manoeuvrable these rowing boats are, especially in wind, and they are generally close to land...
They're out in the Firth of Lorne, heading for Mull.

bikedaft

Visit site
They're out in the Firth of Lorne, heading for Mull.
Cheers 🙂.

Paddled out to see them in Cuan Sound this morning, as they got going with the tide.

They are doing well, and hoping to finish all the way round, but depends on the winds... Plenty strong westerlies forecast, which will be beam on. Anyway, they are heading up Sound of Mull this tide, and maybe around Ardnamurchan before the next wind hits. Lovely couple.

So far they have raised 40,000!

Please donate Stormy+Steth: The Long Row Home

Scomber

Visit site
Tobermory . What a shame about the weather.

Attachments

• IMG-20240820-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20240820-WA0005.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

SaltIre

Visit site
Tobermory . What a shame about the weather.
Yup. Now in the marina there, and hope to complete the row next year.

"We have hit the pause button on the row and are now in the marina at Tobermory.
Getting to the start was hard. We have offered up nothing but blood, toil, sweat, and at times tears, as we tirelessly worked to succeed in our unsupported attempt to row around Britain.
Our journey has taken us to places we never knew existed -mentally, physically and at times geographically!
To our sponsors, thank you.
Without your organisations and personal support, we could never have started. We know we have not yet completed what we set out to do, just look at what you have helped us achieve.
Two great charities are directly benefiting from your support, with such a huge boost thanks to you!
To our supporters, no words can accurately convey how grateful we are to each and every one of you. Whether through donations, comments, likes, or shares - one common theme has been there has been zero negativity throughout our journey. This has been a truly unique experience whilst the rest of the world seems to be full of negativity.
We are not saying this is completely over, we need to let the dust settle before deciding where to go next.
We may come back next year and complete from where we left off, which could still allow us to be the first mixed pair team to succeed - albeit in a supported capacity.
For now, however, we are utterly heartbroken that the weather has beaten us, after putting everything into this.

Stormy and Steth | Wick