Underwater lights.... Nothing new!!

EME

www.lumishore.com
I suppose you're referring to the bling part of the electronic and software, not to the optimization/lumen efficiency, right?
I can't imagine lower consuption for any given lumen level to be a key factor on boats which typically have at least one genset running all the time, unless connected to shore power...
But I'm actually mentioning this because in the last dive I made, we went in some U/W caves, and some more powerful, lighter and lasting longer torches would have been handy.
And since IIRC your systems are supposed to be the most efficient around, I was wondering if you ever considered building also U/W torches.
It's a niche market of course, and probably most clients are not willing to pay megabucks anyway, but that is definitely an application where efficiency is extremely critical - way more than on MoBos.

Sorry MapisM for the delay in replying. I confess to spending the weekend enjoying boats in the SoF and the stunning weather we had. Will have to be brief as got to go to Cannes Boat Show tomorrow --- gosh it's a tough life!

I've learned in recent years that although we produce 'light', our little business is clearly based in the electronics industry.

To go off at a slight tangent the guys are really optimising the combination of size, lumen output, efficiency, heat management, colour and 'beam'. There are obviously trade offs there and perhaps I should do a "Build Thread" to go through it all ;)

Whilst you are are right that efficiency is significantly less important on a Super Yacht (given that they are AC-powered), it is the depth of knowledge and the advanced application of techniques that invariably impresses other engineers - and yes most of the software relates to control but not all. Basically they know that our guys know what they are talking about! However efficiency is key to much of what we do and efficiency is important on smaller boats.

Sorry, we wont be looking at new markets for at least another couple of years. We did produce a couple of prototype diving torches (based upon our Drivelites) a couple of years ago but although they were really well received we knew that a lot of empirical work was required to get them right for different diving applications so focused back on what we are doing.

We've had loads of approaches to get involved in some very demanding fields but we have so far to go in what we are doing we're sticking to the knitting.

Last edited:

EME

www.lumishore.com
One of those it out, they can't be Lumishore, must be a lesser manufcaturer.

You can write that - I won't! They are actually 250-watt HID so white light only . As some may know we met one of the "Captains" to Eclipse recently. At the time that yard only used HID ---- no idea at the moment whether it will go anywhere but we live in hope.

MapisM

Visit site
Sorry MapisM for the delay in replying. I confess to spending the weekend enjoying boats in the SoF and the stunning weather we had...
No worries EME, thanks for your feedback anyway.
Oh, and I understand your viewpoint, fwiw.

Other threads that may be of interest