UK to AUS what boat?

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
The old verses new argument isn't really relevant to the discussion anyway.
The real argument is one design over another for a given type of sailing.
In this case my focus is on a suitable yacht for taking on the North and Southern Atlantic and then the Indian Ocean.
After all for every design and build fault I find on a modern awb there will be a matching number of bad build practices that crop up on old designs.
It comes with the territory, we all tend to turn into Jack Rolf's given enough time working in a boat yard.

So maybe I should re structure the question;
Given a budget of £100k and an additional fit out budget of £20k what boat would you buy to sail from the UK to AUS for a couple plus grown up daughter, via the cape?

Tim Good

Visit site
So maybe I should re structure the question;
Given a budget of £100k and an additional fit out budget of £20k what boat would you buy to sail from the UK to AUS for a couple plus grown up daughter, via the cape?

Javelin, sorry for the delay and bring an old thread back up. It have you considered this. It's a lot of boat and built incredibly strongly. I understand the owner keeps it in tip top condition for short skipper charters.

http://www.seastreamforsale.com

alant

Visit site
Javelin, sorry for the delay and bring an old thread back up. It have you considered this. It's a lot of boat and built incredibly strongly. I understand the owner keeps it in tip top condition for short skipper charters.

http://www.seastreamforsale.com

I used to be a "charter skipper", however I am also still "short" (ie perfectly formed not to get hit by a boom if unexpectedly gybed).;)

Hasn't this seastream been on the market for some time?

Tim Good

Visit site
I was thinking that, i seem to remember seeing it advertised 2 or 3 years ago ?????

Well technically it was taken off the market as he made that site I think to try and sell in winter then left it up. It isn't on any brokerage so I think he continues to run his business until someone that wants that sort of boat rolls up.

I can testify to integrity of the boats in a sea though. Very directionally stable and and inch thick under the water. Hull and accommodation are excellent but it will entirely depend on the state of maintenance.

I have the Sloop version and been in the Northern Norway since March. Another has been up to Svarlbard. We plan to be in Patagonia in the next year. Anyway for £90k if you wanted something pretty solid, comfortable and well built...

Jonesey

Visit site
Disclaimer - I have some bias here, having chosen an AWB (Bene Oceanis 473) to get from UK to NZ.

It seems to me that this discussion thread is fundamentally flawed by speaking of ocean sailing as one homogenous activity, which I'd argue it absolutely is not.

Boat choices for an atlantic then pacific westabout crossing, mostly in the tropics are very different from those wanting to visit the poles or some of the livelier oceans on the planet.

On this basis I'd propose that the ARC boat demographic data is the relevant source for tropics cruising info, with the OCC data set perhaps more useful for other areas.

Only one thing is guaranteed on this topic and that's that we will never tire of debating it!

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
Not sure if it would be in budget if it were up for grabs, but I spent a couple of nights on this boat way back when she was new.
Roger Martin designed Cetacea, a lovely cruising boat with little details like a good rain collection system using divertable valves and clear pipes from the gunwales.
So If I had unlimited funds I'd have one of these, light fast not too deep.