UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Residencia alone is not sufficient to enter the Schengen area but once inside there are no internal border controls to deal with. In that sense the EU is one single country.

According to the Portuguese immigration dept, when permanent residence has been granted the resident is free to travel anywhere within the EU without time constraints. Unlike local residency, permanent residents have photo card.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
According to the Portuguese immigration dept, when permanent residence has been granted the resident is free to travel anywhere within the EU without time constraints. Unlike local residency, permanent residents have photo card.

I think that is false information, to freely travel without restriction in Schengen countries or in fact the EU one has to be a national of those countries. You can travel but there are the restrictions of time etc. It is a bit cloudy because if at the moment you travel from one Schengen country to another you often don't go through passport or immigration control other than identity verification at boarding so there really is no way of checking.

RAI

Visit site
That's interesting. Even EU citizens have three and sixth month conditions when seeking work in other EU countries. Is it a rule for pensioners? Tourists nominally have 3 months, but its hardly ever checked. In some EU countries, only citizenship allows the national ID card to be used as a travel document within the EU.
Expatica has a lot of information.
https://www.expatica.com/pt/visas-a...guese-visas-and-residency-permits_105233.html

RAI

Visit site
I think that is false information, to freely travel without restriction in Schengen countries or in fact the EU one has to be a national of those countries. You can travel but there are the restrictions of time etc. It is a bit cloudy because if at the moment you travel from one Schengen country to another you often don't go through passport or immigration control other than identity verification at boarding so there really is no way of checking.
I think the airlines have been given the obligation to only fly passengers with valid travel documents. I thought they were lax about it and tried using my permanent residency card as a travel document. The Ryanair lass spotted it immediately and I had to show my passport.

Graham376

Visit site
I think the airlines have been given the obligation to only fly passengers with valid travel documents. I thought they were lax about it and tried using my permanent residency card as a travel document. The Ryanair lass spotted it immediately and I had to show my passport.

Not surprised by that, it's only a residence card not a "citizen" I.D. card such as my wife has. Funny thing is, I only took out residence originally to get a parking permit:)

Sailfree

Visit site
Thanks Nortada for starting this thread its resulted in good info.

Anyone know what the standard of Portuguese is to get permanent residency and secondly citizenship.

Just got a letter today from UK pensions office as I have to prove I am still alive!!

Lists people that can validate it - anyone advise who they use? I am sure a Notary will charge a fair amount!

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

I bet they don't or won't check the status of your visa when it come into play? They have not seemingly decided how they are going to identify long term non EU national residents as opposed to those simply travelling on a visa from a 3rd country. Another complicated problem.

Graham376

Visit site
That's interesting. Even EU citizens have three and sixth month conditions when seeking work in other EU countries. Is it a rule for pensioners? Tourists nominally have 3 months, but its hardly ever checked. In some EU countries, only citizenship allows the national ID card to be used as a travel document within the EU.
Expatica has a lot of information.
https://www.expatica.com/pt/visas-a...guese-visas-and-residency-permits_105233.html

Much depends on the State, some have time restrictions, some don't. We have several Portuguese relatives living and working in the UK, they had no time restraints just like Brits coming here don't have. Just arrived in UK, found somewhere to live and work, applied for NI no. etc. Most States have regulations about submitting tax returns/ changing driving license etc after being in country for a while but most people don't bother. Retired folk anywhere usually have to prove means of support when applying for residence.

I suspect we may have some restrictions after Brexit when we will no longer be EU citizens but having official residence may help. Just wait and see.

RAI

Visit site
Anyone know what the standard of Portuguese is to get permanent residency and secondly citizenship.
That Expatica site I gave has all the info. If you are a pensioner, they might not even have a language requirement.

Just got a letter today from UK pensions office as I have to prove I am still alive!!
Lists people that can validate it - anyone advise who they use? I am sure a Notary will charge a fair amount!
I use my bank's clerk, they have stamps and signatures to make it look official. It's free and has worked for a good many years.

RAI

Visit site
I bet they don't or won't check the status of your visa when it come into play? They have not seemingly decided how they are going to identify long term non EU national residents as opposed to those simply travelling on a visa from a 3rd country. Another complicated problem.
If flying to the USA is any indication of the future of security and visas, then not only will they be checked, those on visa-waiver travel will need to get their details approved on line prior to travel.
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

RAI

Visit site
Much depends on the State, some have time restrictions, some don't. We have several Portuguese relatives living and working in the UK, they had no time restraints just like Brits coming here don't have. Just arrived in UK, found somewhere to live and work, applied for NI no. etc. Most States have regulations about submitting tax returns/ changing driving license etc after being in country for a while but most people don't bother. Retired folk anywhere usually have to prove means of support when applying for residence.
I suspect we may have some restrictions after Brexit when we will no longer be EU citizens but having official residence may help. Just wait and see.
The UK is a bit odd because it has no ID card system and the EU rule is to treat all EU citizens equally means that they don't need them either. Brexit is going to change that (registering for settle status etc..
I think the no time limit in Portugal is more to do with the application of the law rather than the letter (see the Expatica site), long may it remain.
In Germany and Belgium, for example. the registration for residence is passed on the the income tax people and results in the tax forms being sent after a fiscal year. Driving licences are another issue, as you say, they are supposed to be swapped within the first year of residence. I had to give up my UK license because my sister, whose UK address I was using, was informed that it was an offense to provide a false address for me.
Car registration of course is another one that is supposed to be changed with residence. In some countries it's an offence to own/drive a foreign registered vehicle.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

I use a friend or relative (shouldn't) who is a (Dr) quack or another retired friend who is an Advocate. You are correct if you use any professional they usually charge at least €50, it is a bit of a pain in the backside and as I have two other UK pensions I have to do it almost annually for one or the other.

In France the level is B1 DELF minimum for language and is not onerous or if you are 65 or over they waive it apparently. I guess it must be fairly similar throughout Europe.

nortada

Visit site
Open Letter To The Moderators - Please Make This Thread A Sticky.

As I reported my first post on this thread, you will appreciate, as this thread is more about the impact on British sailors and expats in the EU than the pros and cons of Brexit and Brexit doesn't appear in the title, I requested that it be left in Liveaboard Link rather than moved to Anything Brexit, but that was not to be.

Subsequently, this thread has exceed my expectations in the wealth of exchange for information and good ideas, however, it will quickly vanish off the lead page and all of the information provided will become lost or increasingly hard to locate.

Therefore, may I suggest that it is made a sticky and so remain at the top of the first page.

Fellow contributors may wish to make their own observations.

Again, to bring it to your notice, I will report this message.

Looking forward to your responses, hopefully in open forum.

Best wishes,

N

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
Re: Open Letter To The Moderators - Please Make This Thread A Sticky.

+1 with nortada (post #95)
This is liveaboard infformation, contributed by liveaboards for liveboards, present and future. It belongs in the Liveaboard forum. Why is that difficult to understand?