UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

RAI

Visit site
I too support the idea of this thread being a sticky in the Liveaboard's forums.
Please, pretty please.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Thanks Nortada for starting this thread its resulted in good info.

Anyone know what the standard of Portuguese is to get permanent residency and secondly citizenship.

Just got a letter today from UK pensions office as I have to prove I am still alive!!

Lists people that can validate it - anyone advise who they use? I am sure a Notary will charge a fair amount!

I think it has wider implications so why marginalise it?

Well wherever they decide to put it it should be a sticky as it has a trail and mine of useful information in it.

JNKScot

Visit site
It does slightly mystify me why this has been moved to the Brexit sub-forum of the Lounge when its connection to Wrexit is tenuous at best and the information it contains should have a wider audience; sticky under the Lounge main heading at the least is my suggestion.

nortada

Visit site
The UK is a bit odd because it has no ID card system and the EU rule is to treat all EU citizens equally means that they don't need them either. Brexit is going to change that (registering for settle status etc..
I think the no time limit in Portugal is more to do with the application of the law rather than the letter (see the Expatica site), long may it remain.
In Germany and Belgium, for example. the registration for residence is passed on the the income tax people and results in the tax forms being sent after a fiscal year. Driving licences are another issue, as you say, they are supposed to be swapped within the first year of residence. I had to give up my UK license because my sister, whose UK address I was using, was informed that it was an offense to provide a false address for me.
Car registration of course is another one that is supposed to be changed with residence. In some countries it's an offence to own/drive a foreign registered vehicle.

ID Cards.

In Portugal all are required to carry ID at all times.

No problem unless you are a Brit in which case it means carrying your passport at all times. Notwithstanding, the risk of losing it or having it nicked, the document just won't stand up to life in a wallet or jeans back pocket.

However, there is always a way, you can get a passport page reduced to the size of a credit card, signed on the back by a notary as a true copy and encapsulated in Fablon. Job done.

At a push, a modern UK driving license will often double as an UK ID Card.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Thanks Nortada for starting this thread its resulted in good info.

Anyone know what the standard of Portuguese is to get permanent residency and secondly citizenship.

Just got a letter today from UK pensions office as I have to prove I am still alive!!

Lists people that can validate it - anyone advise who they use? I am sure a Notary will charge a fair amount!

As it is a UK requirement, then validation by UK subject, who can be checked up will carry more weight.

Is the pension paid into a British bank? They could confirm your continued existence.

Judges, police, military officers and doctors spring to mind. And there are many more.

Even though retired, I have frequently validated all sort of documents, including passports and it has never been questioned.

Last ditch - we could all vouch for you but possibly not the best of ideas!;):encouragement:

Last edited:

JNKScot

Visit site
ID Cards.

In Portugal all are required to carry ID at all times.

No problem unless you are a Brit in which case it means carrying your passport at all times. Notwithstanding, the risk of losing it or having it nicked, the document just won't stand up to life in a wallet or jeans back pocket.

However, there is always a way, you can get a passport page reduced to the size of a credit card, signed on the back by a notary as a true copy and encapsulated in Fablon.
Job done.

At a push, a modern UK driving license will often double as an UK ID Card.

I carry my passport at all times; a legacy from my time in Iraq where the residence visa was in it; if stopped and found without it the 14 year old in his blue camo uniform might just decide to see if his shiny new Kalashnikov actually worked; people whose passports were held by their employers just didn't go out and about.

nortada

Visit site
I carry my passport at all times; a legacy from my time in Iraq where the residence visa was in it; if stopped and found without it the 14 year old in his blue camo uniform might just decide to see if his shiny new Kalashnikov actually worked; people whose passports were held by their employers just didn't go out and about.

Remember times like that but then we had NATO Travel Orders and RAF F1250.

Fortunately, although way out in the Wild West, Portugal is not like Iran or London!

Last edited:

Forum Moderation Team
Visit site
Re: Open Letter To The Moderators - Please Make This Thread A Sticky.

The thread has been moved back to Liveaboard.

Please remember that Reporting a thread is for arguments, spam etc. If you want an administrative change, then contact Forum Admin Team or use the Forum Feedback.

The thread will be monitored to ensure that the high standard of debate and information is maintained in order to keep it in Liveaboard.

nortada

Visit site
Re: Open Letter To The Moderators - Please Make This Thread A Sticky.

The thread has been moved back to Liveaboard.

Please remember that Reporting a thread is for arguments, spam etc. If you want an administrative change, then contact Forum Admin Team or use the Forum Feedback.

The thread will be monitored to ensure that the high standard of debate and information is maintained in order to keep it in Liveaboard.

Many thanks.

Maybe early days but please consider making this thread a sticky.

Otherwise, in slack periods, the thread could slip from page 1 and all of the valuable information and advice will become increasingly difficult to find until it is lost. Bit of a shame after all of the work there has been by so many putting the thread together.

Rather like http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?502055-Studland-Bay-what-you-need-to-do, in Scuttlebutt. Both subjects have huge ramifications to many sailors.

Sorry about using the wrong medium to bring this to your notice and really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on a sticky.

Best wishes,

Nortada

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
I too support the idea of this thread being a sticky in the Liveaboard's forums.
Please, pretty please.

Stuck between Spain and Portugal are the differences in both countries becoming more obvious?

Earlier this year, when we were staying in Ayamonte but then visiting Vila Real de S A, we became aware that Portugal really wanted to stay but Spain wasn’t that exercised by the whole thing.

It was clear that recession was hitting Andalusia far harder than the Algarve so this may have had something to do with it. Additionally my Portuguese is better than my Spanish, not that that is saying much, other than it is harder to guage attitudes when you don’t understand the lingo!

ps Changed my Location to Portugal to make it clearer my area of interest.

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Back to Liveaboard

Very good that it's back where it should be. Some common sense.
Would it also be good if the various points, items of information, arguments even, were not buried in the inevitable ebb and flow of topics, thoughts, etc over many posts and pages, but could somehow be sorted and filed in a kind of reference Wiki. eg https://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki ?

nortada

Visit site
Re: Back to Liveaboard

Very good that it's back where it should be. Some common sense.
Would it also be good if the various points, items of information, arguments even, were not buried in the inevitable ebb and flow of topics, thoughts, etc over many posts and pages, but could somehow be sorted and filed in a kind of reference Wiki. eg https://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki ?

One of the problems is, different countries treat the same regulations in very different ways and worse still, although in the EU, operate under different regulations - visas a case in point.

To make it absolutely clear where I am coming from, I have amended my location to The Algarve.

Of all of the countries in the discussions, it would appear that Portugal is the easiest going.

It would be interesting to get some input about Germany and The Nederlands but I suspect there are very few Brit liveabords in those two countries? How about Italy and Greece?

DownWest

Visit site

Just a note on ID cards. When I moved to Portugal pre. EU, I had to have a Residencia, an ID card and swop my driving licence. Though one could swop the DL back at any time, it was held in Faro..
As an estrangheiro, my ID card was blue, not buff. It was not valid for travel id outside Portugal, so Passport was needed, unlike Portuguese nationals or say, German Nationals.
Here in France, no ID cards for non nationals, so have to carry passport at all times. Mrs DW is a US citizen, so has a Carte de Sejour, good as ID. I will now apply for one too. At lunch the other day, there was a show of hands for who had applied, or was about to, for a CDS. 9 out of 10.

DownWest

Visit site

Just to add, previous to getting the residencia, one just went over to Spain every 60days, had lunch and came back. Passport stamped for another 60days. Couriously, if you came in by air, it was a 90 day stamp. We thought that some one got their sixes and nines confused ;o)

I overstayed one time and the border guy noticed and wanted to fine me. I explained that I had been under Doctors orders and was not able to travel (slightly true) He asked the name of my doctor. When I told him, one of the women in the car burst out laughing. He let us go and driving down the ferry ramp I asked the woman what was so funny, as it didn't help while I was try to wriggle out of a fine. 'Oh, he is the gynaecologist'

Last edited: