UK’s biggest warship suffers propeller shaft damage off south coast after setting sail for US

Neeves

Visit site
I was also wondering

Whatever the issue is - the issue was discovered locally - in shallow water.

I'm assuming:

There was no indication previously.

That its a sudden failure (and I I discount lobster pots).

That the failure is sufficiently serious as a major and long planned event has had to be abandoned.

I wonder what the fall back, strategic planning, was had this issue developed 2 days into the voyage - or .... in the South China Sea and in any event - in weather

If nothing else the potential adversaries will be having a field day.

Its a good thing that the world order is so harmonious.

Jonathan

Offshore57

Visit site
I don't suppose for one minute there could have been a Russian or Chinese sub bimbling around south of the IOW could there ? (Clang...ooops)

Bouba

Visit site
Can I just add...PoW just came back from an exercise up north...as in way up north...and I think further north than any carrier has ever operated

KREW2

Visit site
Back in the 50's, my Father was onboard 'an' aircraft carrier, which following a fairly thirsty discussion in the ward room the previous night, conducted a test to see whether a carrier would be able to be moved, solely by the thrust from the aircraft on deck?

Wow! so much thrust could get it on the plane.

I'll get me coat.

Neeves

Visit site

Bouba

Visit site
And is the second one on its way, as part of strategic planning, the fall back, to replace the disabled vessel?

Now that would show forward and imaginative forward thinking.

Jonathan
I think it might depend on the mission...the carriers usually go to the States to do flight tests with the F35B...but QE is fully qualified, so it may not be much point

Neeves

Visit site
I think it might depend on the mission...the carriers usually go to the States to do flight tests with the F35B...but QE is fully qualified, so it may not be much point

Ah! the trip was just a jolly. The West sends its latest warship across the Atlantic - and it does not matter if it does not get there.

The other thought process is

Million dollar tanks can be destroyed by 2, very brave, guys on a quad bike and a shoulder fired rocket - warfare seems to be changing. In the absence of a sensible fall back strategic planning does not seem impressive.

Jonathan

SaltIre

Visit site
Admirals obviously don't need O-level English.:rolleyes:
I’ve been to the ship today to see for myself what the issue is, and how we in the Royal Navy can work together to make sure that the ship can successfully returned to her tasking.
And then we’ll be able to provide further comments on the nature of the issue and the impact to her current schedule.
And to keep the UK our partners and allies safe.”

Bouba

Visit site
Ah! the trip was just a jolly. The West sends its latest warship across the Atlantic - and it does not matter if it does not get there.

The other thought process is

Million dollar tanks can be destroyed by 2, very brave, guys on a quad bike and a shoulder fired rocket - warfare seems to be changing. In the absence of a sensible fall back strategic planning does not seem impressive.

Jonathan
You only have to watch Dad’s Army to see that Captain Mannering’s men were planning to attack tanks with a can of petrol, a hammer and a blanket....

Frogmogman

Visit site
One of my dad’s naval contemporaries, an engineer, rose to Flag Rank.

My Pa always took great pleasure in introducing him to people at parties as being a “plumber from Portsmouth” .

The poor fellow would then find himself fending off questions about dripping taps and blocked drains until he could explain that he was actually an Engineer Admiral.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Can I just add...PoW just came back from an exercise up north...as in way up north...and I think further north than any carrier has ever operated

I’ve been further North than that in an old wooden boat.

Attachments

• 7CED938C-B1DF-41FF-8FA2-0F21DB460CB1.jpeg
    7CED938C-B1DF-41FF-8FA2-0F21DB460CB1.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 27