turn left or right?

TernVI

Visit site
Sailing single handed, I never sail longer than maybe 16 hours a day on a long trip. And never over night sail. I can cover about 75 miles per day
You might want to see how that works out for tides.
The East Coast is not over-supplied with nice harbours at convenient intervals, most people who do this as part of 'Round Britain' seem to end up motoring a lot to make progress, then they are tied to when refueling points are open as well as tide streams and tidal harbours. It becomes an exercise with lots of conflicting constraints and can get stressy when you lose optimum tidal days due to weather.

seafox67

Visit site
After the year we have had, and assuming you insisted on only vaccinated people, I do not see you having too much trouble getting people to commit to three weeks for a "half-way-around Brittan" with no costs except a small contribution to food costs, say £10 pp per day.
You could have a point! In these unique times when some may not chance putting their own boat into the water this season would jump at a "half-way-around britain" holiday with your own cabin! lol...

Fascadale

Visit site
F and C would be a very quick direct route but I keep hearing mixed messages about getting through! my draft is 1m 15 cm!

The F and C is supposedly a minimum of 1.83 m deep There is/was a well known shallow bit that is/was reportedly a few centimetres less. At 1.1 metres you will have no depth issues

The most serious problem I have ever had on the FandC is weed blocking my water intake, but that has never seriously delayed me

Google the “Skippers Notes” for the canal

SaltIre

Visit site
The F and C is supposedly a minimum of 1.83 m deep There is/was a well known shallow bit that is/was reportedly a few centimetres less. At 1.1 metres you will have no depth issues

The most serious problem I have ever had on the FandC is weed blocking my water intake, but that has never seriously delayed me

Google the “Skippers Notes” for the canal
What is the air draft of the Westerly Tempest?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I did this a few years ago, from James Watt Dock to Titchmarsh Marina, Walton-on-the-Naze. My route was:

JWD - Brodick
Brodick - Craobh (via the Mull of Kintyre)
Craobh - Dunstaffnage
Dunstaffnage - Corpach
Corpach - Kytra (Caledonian Canal)
Kytra - Inverness (Caledonian Canal)
Inverness - Peterhead
Peterhead - Eyemouth
Eyemouth - North Shields (Royal Quays)
North Shields - Whitby
Whitby - Lowestoft
Lowestoft - Titchmarsh

Most of it was done two-up; my wife joined us from JWD - Dunstaffnage, and we had an extra crew member from Whitby - Titchmarsh.
The longest passage was from Whitby - Lowestoft - around 26 hours. We didn't usually do back-to-back days - we did it at the beginning of April, so we spent several days waiting for weather windows, and several days resting up after a long passage! Overall, it took exactly 3 weeks, with a distance covered of about 730 nautical miles.
I attach an account of our journey for those interested!

Attachments

• Moving Capricious.pdf
    143.8 KB · Views: 26

Fascadale

Visit site
I did this a few years ago, from James Watt Dock to Titchmarsh Marina, Walton-on-the-Naze. My route was:

JWD - Brodick
Craobh - Dunstaffnage
Dunstaffnage - Corpach
Inverness - Peterhead
Peterhead - Eyemouth
North Shields - Whitby
Whitby - Lowestoft
Lowestoft - Titchmarsh

Most of it was done two-up; my wife joined us from JWD - Dunstaffnage, and we had an extra crew member from Whitby - Titchmarsh.
The longest passage was from Whitby - Lowestoft - around 26 hours. We didn't usually do back-to-back days - we did it at the beginning of April, so we spent several days waiting for weather windows, and several days resting up after a long passage! Overall, it took exactly 3 weeks, with a distance covered of about 730 nautical miles.

Great voyage and easily broken into shorter days

The OP could divide the long Whitby Lowestoft leg with stops at Bridlington and Wells next to the Sea. The benefit of bilge keels!

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Great voyage and easily broken into shorter days

The OP could divide the long Whitby Lowestoft leg with stops at Bridlington and Wells next to the Sea. The benefit of bilge keels!
Bridlington is so close to Whitby that it's scarcely worthwhile, and even with bilge keels, Wells is constrained by tide and can be a difficult entrance in northerly winds..
However, the legs Inverness - Peterhead and Peterhead - Eyemouth could certainly be split taking advantage of the ability to take the ground.

SaltIre

Visit site
It's 1m 15cm for my bilge keel tempest
I'd been trying to find it - and failed!
I did the F&C in my Sadler 25 and it was fine - east to west. It was June 2012 before the extension under the M9 was completed, which now makes it much easier. Mast up/down is now inside the canal both ends. My prop took the stern to port going astern, so I decided to always be "port side to" with the mast offset to stbd, leaving the cockpit much clearer. I wondered about getting the mast transported by road, but didn't...

seafox67

Visit site

JWD - Brodick
Craobh - Dunstaffnage
Dunstaffnage - Corpach
Inverness - Peterhead
Peterhead - Eyemouth
North Shields - Whitby
Whitby - Lowestoft
Lowestoft - Titchmarsh

That would be more or less my start and finish! :) ... My current base is Holy Loch and I would hope to find somewhere in the Deben, Orwell, Stour or even Blackwater! One possible option I might have is to winter again in the Clyde and go April 22! I have family on Mull so I really want to spend the summer with them this year so the earliest this year would be August!

Just had a quick look at your attached document! wow... very detailed and very useful! Thanks (y)

SimonFa

Visit site
I currently live in Greenock! However, I could be moving next year to England for work! Owning a 30ft bilge keel and on a low/middle income, I've got my sights on the rivers around south east coast (At least for 2 or 3 seasons).
I have planned this summer to cruise the west coast of Scotland, so I would be thinking of sailing south late August/September.

Has anyone got experience of doing these routes south at that time of year (In 30ish size boats) late August/September? With an old Westerly 30ft bilge keel, I'm very much a coastal sailor!
Get hold of a couple, or more, of books from people who've sailed round Britain. They'll give you a feel for both sides and they're a good read in themselves.

The two I have are UK and Ireland Circumnavigator's guide by Sam Steele and PBO's Sailing around the UK and Ireland by Roger Oliver.

They'll tell you more than just the ports and passage planning but how to get the appropriate charts cheaply and get them up to date and other tips like calling harbour masters about local hazards.

Adios

Visit site
I image getting crew for individual legs or a slow trip of coast hoping would be a logistical challenge. Your boat must be modern boat of around 40ft to have twin aft double cabins, well capable of an extended journey. Wouldn't there be people interested in doing the passage without stopping? Someone wanting to build up miles for a yachtmaster, you could even nominate one skipper, with the understanding that you would shadow them and can take over at any point for any reason of course. That could draw in a few handy motivated people. Knock it out in one weather window.

SaltIre

Visit site
I image getting crew for individual legs or a slow trip of coast hoping would be a logistical challenge. Your boat must be modern boat of around 40ft to have twin aft double cabins, well capable of an extended journey. Wouldn't there be people interested in doing the passage without stopping? Someone wanting to build up miles for a yachtmaster, you could even nominate one skipper, with the understanding that you would shadow them and can take over at any point for any reason of course. That could draw in a few handy motivated people. Knock it out in one weather window.
If you read the thread you'll see it isn't a modern 40ft boat. It's an old 30ft Westerly Tempest...
#1 will give you a big clue.:rolleyes:

seafox67

Visit site

40ft! My boat is like the Tardis! :ROFLMAO: ... It's 9.32m! with a 6ft head clearance... The layout is a little different though with the heads at the front and a sail locker that you can escape out to the front of the boat! lol

Attachments

• tempest.jpg
    tempest.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 18

Adios

Visit site
40ft! My boat is like the Tardis! :ROFLMAO: ... It's 9.32m! with a 6ft head clearance... The layout is a little different though with the heads at the front and a sail locker that you can escape out to the front of the boat! lol
Hmmm and no en suites! :LOL: ah well we can dream. I didn't know any 30fter had double aft cabins, I was picturing something French and costly! Anyway same suggestion applies. Get some fit young keen skippers in training rather than passengers looking for a cheap holiday and just do it in one go (y)

seafox67

Visit site
Hmmm and no en suites! :LOL: ah well we can dream. I didn't know any 30fter had double aft cabins, I was picturing something French and costly! Anyway same suggestion applies. Get some fit young keen skippers in training rather than passengers looking for a cheap holiday and just do it in one go (y)

No... no en suites! lol I did manage to fit a shower. the heads is a fiberglass mould thingy so I just needed to fit a drain and I use an electric pump to stop the waste water running into the bilge! (y)

I did come across one other boat with double aft cabins, a Moody I think but I love old Westerlies and although the double beds are a bit questionable in size, both cabins have doors for privacy and room for all your stuff!
Your suggestion does sound good! and I might look at reaching out to a couple interested in getting some sailing experience

Adios

Visit site