Tunisia

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Well for some of us the season is about to start ,
we plain to return to Tunisia in a few weeks to haul out , last time we was there was in 2015 so it be interesting to see if there been much changes , I guess not, if anyone thinking of heading that way this year and want any up to date info ,you can PM me , I be happy to pass on what we find,
I will email Sue @ noonsite at some point and post how we got on .
Safe and Happy 2018 season liveaboards
The fun is about to start

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Vic, what a fantastic message, it looks like you had a new computer with spellchecker and Grammarly instaled, like me, for Christmas.
Tell us all about Tunisia after you have spent some time there. stay safe

Luffe44

Visit site
Looking forward to your experience, as we plan to make a stopover en September. I noted that charter flights from UK started up again last week, take that as a sign of reduced safety concerns.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Vic, fair winds.
Where are you hauling out?

I was thinking of morocco this year, any thoughts?

We hauling out in Monstir , the cost are very good haul in / out 250 TD that's about 85 euros plus if we taken on a load of fuel ( tank ,250lts spare cans ( about 200 lts ) what we save in fuel cost over this year will cover the cost of the haul out and our stay .
We never been hauled out in Morocco, but have visited it a few times over the years and enjoyed our stay .
Only suggestion is , if you going to antifould might be best to buy there stuff and it be cheaper and a lot better then the water down stuff we buy in Europe ,

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just a quick run down how we got on in Monastir Tunisia .
haul out and in , presser wash, three days hard standing , top side totally clean and polish, three lts of oil, water and power and two lts of antifoulding as we run out what we brought with us .
total invoice 1010 TD in 349 Euros .
we plain to spend a month here in the marina @ 560 TD 194 Euro plus water and power.
once I have a bit more time I will write a report on Noonsite ,

keithgdg

Visit site
Hi
We too are planning on going to Monastir for this coming winter. There are places and things I wish to see, like the roman arena at el jem, for example. Has anyone any idea of the likely cost of mooring for the winter and any advice or tips would also be very welcome.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi
We too are planning on going to Monastir for this coming winter. There are places and things I wish to see, like the roman arena at el jem, for example. Has anyone any idea of the likely cost of mooring for the winter and any advice or tips would also be very welcome.
Marina email is capitaineriemonastir@topnet.tn
They speak very good English and do reply to emails .
Cost is about 700 euros there about for the winter months plus tax and power and water .
On a monthly cost we paying about 186 euros a month plus tax .
Very friendly here , lot of guards about day and night .
Hope that helps

Perrycas

Visit site
Good information here Keith. I hope you had a good cruise. I have written to the Marina using the email you mentioned, wondering if they have a sled that could pullout a cat 5m wide and if they do hard stand winter storage? Probably not sleds that wide are a bit on the rare side.
Cheers
Perry

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Good information here Keith. I hope you had a good cruise. I have written to the Marina using the email you mentioned, wondering if they have a sled that could pullout a cat 5m wide and if they do hard stand winter storage? Probably not sleds that wide are a bit on the rare side.
Cheers
Perry
If it's any help yes the yards should be able to haul out 5 m cat , space is limited you best to book , worst comes to worst you be able to hush out at the fishing harbour just a mile or so down.
Email given is for the marina not the yard but they should be able to give you the yard email

GTom

Visit site
Anyone keeping the boat in Tunisia for longer term? The FCO travel advice is still quite negative on the country. Prices are very reasonable, question is if it is a viable, safe option with a family?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Anyone keeping the boat in Tunisia for longer term? The FCO travel advice is still quite negative on the country. Prices are very reasonable, question is if it is a viable, safe option with a family?
Tom I can talk for the whole of tunisia , but Monastir is as safe as any where , we apend last winter , the March before we was there for a few months to do some work and again the year before that .
Over last winter there was one family with three young children , many left their boats and when home other like our self stayed . Personally if my children was still sailing with me I have no problem going there .

GTom

Visit site
Tom I can talk for the whole of tunisia , but Monastir is as safe as any where , we apend last winter , the March before we was there for a few months to do some work and again the year before that .
Over last winter there was one family with three young children , many left their boats and when home other like our self stayed . Personally if my children was still sailing with me I have no problem going there .

Thank you! I was more interested about the Hammamet/Yasmine area, it's closer to the main, Tunis Airport - where I could get year-round connections.

BTW, are regular few days visits to Lampedusa, Pantelleria and Sicily a viable option from a Tunisian port? Thinking on the migrant boats in the area and the accompanying Italian naval patrols/checks. On top of that, if I do this, I guess I have to clear in and out every time...

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
There a few boats in Hammamet Andy we had visit it , it's away from the town and a bit run down , but as I said we do know of boats going there without any problems .
Lampedusa last time we visit it was in the hight of all the crossing ,it happen they moved them all out before we arrived . Pantelleria Sicily are over nighters all no problem , we must have done this crossing 15 times , we been doing it twice a year for the last three years and never had a problem or seen problem .
There a guy who over look work and has a yard in Hammamet , Mike if you plain to leave your boat there he is well worth contacting . Yes you have to clear into Tunisia every time you enter , unless it change this year you also got to let the PP know if you moving to the next harbour or going out for a sail .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
This is Mohamed email address at the yard .
marineservicemir@yahoo.it
The Marina was very good at answering emails but there been a change of staff when the lady retired and a new young girl took over , you need to chase her up ,
Mohamed speak English and so do his second in command and the guy in the yard ,

Edit post
If for some reason he can't help you , you can get haul out at the fishing port , only problem is you need to go in person to sort it out , the travel lift which is big enough to take your boat and five more at the same time is run by one company the sort out a space on the hard is run by three different people .

Last edited:

GTom

Visit site
There a few boats in Hammamet Andy we had visit it , it's away from the town and a bit run down , but as I said we do know of boats going there without any problems .
Lampedusa last time we visit it was in the hight of all the crossing ,it happen they moved them all out before we arrived . Pantelleria Sicily are over nighters all no problem , we must have done this crossing 15 times , we been doing it twice a year for the last three years and never had a problem or seen problem .
There a guy who over look work and has a yard in Hammamet , Mike if you plain to leave your boat there he is well worth contacting . Yes you have to clear into Tunisia every time you enter , unless it change this year you also got to let the PP know if you moving to the next harbour or going out for a sail .

Just found on noonsite, not sure if it's still right?

Update Aug 2015
New Tax has been introduced in October 2014 it will now cost 3 TD to check in and 30TD/person to check out. This is at Cap Monastir Marina I will assume that every harbour is the same as this is a government tax and has nothing to do with the marina. All taxes are paid to the customs officials and a receipt is issued every time.

For the 4 of us that's around 40€/trip. Comes back on the fuel price though :D

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just found on noonsite, not sure if it's still right?

For the 4 of us that's around 40€/trip. Comes back on the fuel price though :D

I not going to comment on stuff writing that I not heard about , all I can say is we arrived last Dec and left in March , before that trip we was there in March for a month , all we paid is 5td for enterance stamp , Which is about just over a Euro nod a bit , fuel you can fill your tanks till there are over flowing but you shouldn't put any in cans , if you do and get stop , you will lose the fuel and be taken to court where a pond you,will be fined , its all to do with the low tax on fuel for the locals .