Tunisia? any one there?

Heckler

Visit site
Some one I know out there working, says its wonderful! Security everywhere, proper security, not rag tag and bobtail like I used to know! Tunisians desperate for us to go back there. Is any one there now?
Stu

Budgieboy

Visit site
The place is sh-t , keep away , the people just want to turn you over , couldnt wait to get out of the place , cabs take the p-ss out of you , in fact the worst place I have been in my life .... I wish them all the best in there quest to get Europeans to go back ...

RobbieW

Visit site
The place is sh-t , keep away , the people just want to turn you over , couldnt wait to get out of the place , cabs take the p-ss out of you , in fact the worst place I have been in my life .... I wish them all the best in there quest to get Europeans to go back ...

Not my experience having a lift out in Monastir 18 months ago

ripvan1

Visit site

Bit like the Solent then.

I know an English couple who visited 8 years ago an are still there living amongst the natives and regularly sending emails on how lovely and friendly the locals are. They've integrated really well working at anything to do with boats and enjoying life. You've got to experience a bit longer than a fleeting visit to be able to form a fair opinion of a place so I think I'll respect their views rather than .........

Budgieboy

Visit site
Bit like the Solent then.

I know an English couple who visited 8 years ago an are still there living amongst the natives and regularly sending emails on how lovely and friendly the locals are. They've integrated really well working at anything to do with boats and enjoying life. You've got to experience a bit longer than a fleeting visit to be able to form a fair opinion of a place so I think I'll respect their views rather than .........

Give me the Solent anyday :)

They will never stop turning you over , they look at you and hate you , they never tell you a word of the truth they just lie to you and are capable of looking you in the eye while they do that , my wife felt very very uneasy with them , go past a cafe and you will see 100 men sitting around outside not a woman to be seen they treat women like sh-t and then there will always be one willing to do Allah's work for him .... good luck :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Give me the Solent anyday :)

They will never stop turning you over , they look at you and hate you , they never tell you a word of the truth they just lie to you and are capable of looking you in the eye while they do that , my wife felt very very uneasy with them , go past a cafe and you will see 100 men sitting around outside not a woman to be seen they treat women like sh-t and then there will always be one willing to do Allah's work for him .... good luck :)

You must had been to a very different Tunisia then I have , we know of five other cruisers that I know well who visit there last winter , all loved the place .

Men sit around most cafes in most of the Med country , include , Greece, Turkey, Malta, Italy, just to menison a few .
As far as women are treated like sh@t , my partner never once had a problem if anything they were very courteous to wards her .

Last edited:

Budgieboy

Visit site
You must had been to a very different Tunisia then I have , we know of five other cruisers that I know well who visit there last winter , all loved the place .

Men sit around most cafes in most of the Med country , include , Greece, Turkey, Malta, Italy, just to menison a few .
As far as women are treated like sh@t , my partner never once had a problem if anything they were very courteous to wards her .

I am sorry I must have it wrong , this place must be paradise , none of them want to come here they are happy where they are and Europeans are queuing up to go there problem solved ....Who are you kidding :) I was on about how they treat there own women not mine , all they did to my wife was give her a visual undressing .... They are awful ...

chinita

Visit site
Our experience is of stopping in Bizerte some time ago.

Within an hour of arriving we were visited by a policeman, a customs man and a bloke in plain clothes (the boss).

The bloke in plain clothes was charming, perfect English and we exchanged pleasantries. Then he said 'so, what have you got for us?' At this point I clicked and offered him Spanish cigarettes and Mahon gin. 'No, I want Marlboro and whisky'.

The police and customs chaps then searched the boat.throughout. The policeman helped himself to some chewing gum and sprayed himself with my wife's perfume. She lost it and told them we have nothing and to leave! They did.

The customs man came back the next day and asked for the fags.

Later that day the policeman came back, angry that we had given the fags to the customs man - we gave him the gin and he left.

We stayed for another two days and had to pay an old chap to 'look after' the boat when we went ashore.

We checked out and were charged double the published rates. As we were leaving the customs man said 'next port?' I replied that we didn't know as we may anchor. He said that we were not allowed to anchor and he needed to notify the next port to ensure our safe arrival.

I said 'Valletta, Malta' and we pushed off.

Not our scene I'm afraid.

OldBawley

Visit site
End 2001 we ware on our way to Monastir for wintering. I had a friend who was already there, he phoned, said the place was perfect, warm, cheap and friendly.
While waiting for my wife to arrive in Siracusa the eleven-eleven incident happened.
For some time the world, especially the East stood on it´s head.
My friend called in panic. Said not to come, people war looting the yachts in the marina, had turned hostile in a day.

As to talk about our women, I have wintered 10 years in Turkey, could speak (But never did ) Turkish and understood about 80% of what was said.
The guys working the bay restaurants knew me very well but had no clue I could understand Turkish. That was very very illuminative.
Admit, those people are not the most educated and their ideas ware prompted by working a decade for the “Rich stupid yachty´s” but their thoughts about tourists and our women are shocking.
To some point I can understand them guys. I have known two “lady's” who both had a leading position back in Europe who went each summer to Turkey just to get laid.
Imagine, you run a small charter yacht to find a grinning dirty Turkish fisherman or some waiter sneaking trough your boat at night.

Budgieboy

Visit site
Don't know how you work that out - 6 good opinions and 3 bad

You have a funny way of counting :) glad you don't count election votes , I make it 3 people for and 3 people having very bad experiences and not going back , there are some that say they know someone blah blah blah , I know a load that think it is awful and I think that we can include Insurance Company's in my vote as well :) they are telling all of us not to go , what more of a stamp of approval do you need .... It's crap keep away ��

ripvan1

Visit site
Budgieboy - yes you're right I can't count - it's actually 11 people who have good opinions of the place - that's if you actually care to read the posts. Although they are what you call blah blah posts I actually respect those posters views.

Last edited:

Budgieboy

Visit site
Budgieboy - yes you're right I can't count - it's actually 11 people who have good opinions of the place - that's if you actually care to read the posts. Although they are what you call blah blah posts I actually respect those posters views.

Blah blah posts mean nothing and sadly you are one of them so of course you are going to respect them , get off your arse and go there then tell me what it's like and then you will agree with me :) ....There are 3 posters saying ok things about the place and 3 saying don't go , then we have a stack of insurance co's saying stay away and I respect them , they know what they are talking about not listening to any more of your blah blah accounts ... It's sh-t end of ...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
One of my favour country is Croatia and if you read what some people say and wrote you would never go ,
Has I find quite a lot of time there comments are made by people who never been to these places , and only repeating what they heard , again from other who never been there .

Over the last year or so people have been saying how dangerous Turkey is , when it no more dangerous then Greece or Italy .
One really problem is some try and compair these places with the Solent, I suggest if you want Solent way of life , that you stay in the Solent . and let the rest of us enjoy what other country's have to offer .

Regarding insurance company opinion, there only taking the view of a place from the UK gov site , and if we all took that advise we wouldn't be cruising anywhere ., including Belgium and France .

Budgieboy

Visit site
I am not after Solent sailing , in fact I have a post on here enquiring about sailing The Gambia and will be heading that way if the current political situation holds up , so not afraid of Tunisia or the people I just found them awful and severely lacking , that coming from a guy that had a chain of 17 pubs so not a shrinking violet by any means .

Insurance Co's do not want to cover me in The Gambia as they could get stuffed with a huge bill due to the lack of yacht facilities in that country , they are very willing to cover me in France all the same but not willing to cover in Tunisia which has excellent yacht facilities ... Why ?

I can only assume the situation in Tunisia is now a lot worse than a couple of years ago when I was last there , a foreigner is now such a rare sight that the Hawks will be hitting on you even harder ... It is the only country in the World where I have landed at the airport and had the cabbies having a fight over my fare , I went back into the airport and got the army to put me into a cab after they had stopped punching the crap out of each other .... And he duly ripped me off :) ... As I have stated before it is awful .... :)