Tunisia? any one there?

dod

Visit site
Some one I know out there working, says its wonderful! Security everywhere, proper security, not rag tag and bobtail like I used to know! Tunisians desperate for us to go back there. Is any one there now?
Stu

So, no one actually there at present, seems to want to put in their tuppence worth. Wonder why? Are they afraid to have a voice? Maybe all been gagged? Pity all replies so far are from past visitors of which I am one (on 2 occasions once for wintering living onboard and once passing)
Some good some bad as always in any country. Don't always believe what you read go visit and find out for yourself. If it's not for you then at least you gave it a chance. (Is that not what cruising is all about or I am being old fashioned?)

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk
Afraid not current, but we did spend a couple of weeks there in summer 2015. Had some work done on the boat, nice and cheap, though you have to keep on top of them. Customs had to be bribed, as expected, though we were in Monastir, which isn't too bad, so only cost us a bottle of whiskey we'd bought especially for this. We'd heard in Bizerte the police would literally take cash out of your wallet, so avoided it like the plague.

The town was, as expected, full on and you do get harangued by the locals wanting you to go in their shops, though that's par for the course for the area.

I'll admit we enjoyed our couple of weeks there, though we wouldn't have wanted to spend much longer. Friends of ours spent 3 months there and enjoyed it, though they don't leave their boat, much.

Heckler

Visit site
Afraid not current, but we did spend a couple of weeks there in summer 2015. Had some work done on the boat, nice and cheap, though you have to keep on top of them. Customs had to be bribed, as expected, though we were in Monastir, which isn't too bad, so only cost us a bottle of whiskey we'd bought especially for this. We'd heard in Bizerte the police would literally take cash out of your wallet, so avoided it like the plague.

The town was, as expected, full on and you do get harangued by the locals wanting you to go in their shops, though that's par for the course for the area.

I'll admit we enjoyed our couple of weeks there, though we wouldn't have wanted to spend much longer. Friends of ours spent 3 months there and enjoyed it, though they don't leave their boat, much.
Daughter just left, didnt want to heads up her being there at the time. Works for an oil major. Says it was great! Mind you, working for an oil co gives some insulation I suppose
Stu

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
We were there in 2015 - http://www.michaelbriant.com/cruise_1995.htm on our way back from Malta to Gibraltar. All really sad. Tried to get into Sidi Bou Said but it was silted up. Most of the boats in the marina were trapped inside and the entire place was desolate. Diverted to Bizerte where we were refused permission to stay in the almost completed new marina and sent to the fishing port. Very friendly reception and were parked up there for a week waiting for weather. Fishermen friendly and helpful as were the officials. Visited Bizerte a few times for shopping and lunch out. Friendly busy place although we were careful to follow the advice of the local consulate.
Went round to Tarbarka to get a better 'slant' for Mahon. Since my last visit it has become a major tourist destination except there were no tourists! 7 out of the 8 tourist hotels had closed from lack of business and as far as we could see there were only a few French people in town who I suspect lived there.
From talking to the consulate and to locals there are serious security issues not mentioned in UK press and I don't think I would go back at the moment!

Phoebesanuk

Visit site
In reply - yes I'm here, living on my yacht for the last 9 years. I was here in the revolution. Friends both Brits and Americans visited 2016 with health ins. Reading the blogs and some negative statements - this is not a land for pussy cats. I totally enjoy its challenges and there are challenges. I have know several western lady's that have lived here and the toughies have no problem. This is not the west and this is not a land for the naive. With an open mind and a smile you can always achieve. I am here because the people I know are kind, thoughtful, protective and have trained me to relax and take every day as it comes - all problems can be sorted - ah but when and that is were the west and here differ as does most of the southern Med. I have a steel yacht and this is the best climate in the Med without a doubt both for me and my yacht. Re the comment about how they treat their women - generalised statements are always dangerous. The new Tunisian constitution is the only one in the world that gives, by law - equal rights to both genders.
One I feel has to live in a country to try and understand the vagaries of the populous - where would I prefer to live world-wide, Tunisia.
Bob..

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Does anybody have an update? Plan to visit Bizerte next year to reset the VAT-clock.

Currently only Tunisian boats are allowed into the marina. All others must go to the fishing port which is far from the town and very crowded. Raft up with working fishing boats.... Tarbarka is much more comfortable and user friendly. Be sure you fly the courtesy flag. Or risk a big fine

Jeva

Visit site
We were there in June this year. Stopped in Monastir, which was a bit deserted but clean and friendly. moved on to El Kantaoui and stayed for 3 weeks. everybody friendly, good security and a low cost of living. couldn't recommend it higher. Checked out from Kelibia and even that's been cleaned up.
In total we spent a month in Tunisia. No problems with the people (very helpful and friendly), no problems with security and no problems with police or officialdom. Also we didn't pay any 'back-shish' all month.
As I've posted before, I couldn't recommend the place more.

Luffe44

Visit site
Thanks Jeva, just what I was looking for! Somehow I missed that thread on my search.

Paw Paw; I have enjoyed your travellog, wondering about any changes since last year.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Paw Paw; I have enjoyed your travellog, wondering about any changes since last year.

I emailed the web site- looks smart and efficient and it sent me an immediate automatic acknowledgement but since then 'nada'.... The problem when I was there was that the 'officials. - port police, customs, immigration did not have offices on site and were not prepared to travel over to check us in, keep an eye on us and check us out! I suspect this problem continues with so few EU visitors. All these officials would probably check in a boat staying for a year or so if it went to the fishing port to clear in but that was not offered as an option on our visit.