Transducer

Johnjo

Visit site
Hi all, looking to get a budget priced fishfinder to use as a depth sounder, but they all seem to come with a transom mounted tranducer......

So the question is...can this type of transducer be mounted ok as a shoot through in its own onboard resevoire ?

Thanks

Norman_E

Visit site
I have done this, to provide an independant second depth instrument, after once suffering a depth instrument failure.
I bought a Navman model because it has a "navigate" mode which supresses the fishfinder function and displays the depth in large digits. The transom mount transducer I have simply stuck to the inside of the hull with blue tack. It works that way down to about 20 metres only. This year I plan to move it into an oil filled tube stuck inside the hull, because blue tack is slightly soft and reduces the signal.
P.S. For it to work from inside the hull it must be positioned over solid fibreglass layup with no voids, and certainly no foam or balsa core.

cagey

Visit site
Navman is the one, can buy inboard transducer. If you want can show you my installation, boat ashore Penryn, pm me if interested
Keith

Johnjo

Visit site
Thanks for the offer, but i already have one sounder set up in a resevoire so im pretty up on how to install it.

Just want to set up a fishfinder as a backup, they have a lot more going for them than just depth.

alan_d

Visit site
Easier to epoxy it to the inside of the hull. That's what I did with a Garmin 90 and it reads down to 100+ metres.

Johnjo

Visit site
Ok to sum up then, there is no problem using a transom mounted transducer as a shoot through the hull !

many thanks for the replies