Torquay to Jersey on S23

scottyolo

Visit site
Looking to take my sealine s23 to Jersey this summer. It is rated for inshore but I was wondering if anyone else had done it in a s23 and any tips or pointers would be helpful. Looks like a 3-4hr trip if its calm.

And if anyone is located in South West would they like to join on convoy?

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
We have a S23, and have owned it for about 18 years. Despite it being called 'Jersey Girl' (named after the wife who is from there), we have never taken it anywhere other than the river Thames. I have heard on here that someone did once take one across, but that was a few years back.

stelican

Visit site
We took a Falcon 23 but were accompanied by a Falcon 27 many years ago from Portsmouth.
Force 3 SW any rougher you would be down to 12 knots.
Couldn't always see the other boat because of the swell. Not for faint hearted.
Have often thought on channel crossings "what am I doing out here"

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I’ve owned an S23 and they are great but would only attempt a crossing like that in a convoy of at least two boats, even then I would hesitate to take it on.
I’ve been caught out with our S37 (in the Med, Golf of Lion) doing a 100 mile crossing, starting and finishing in a f2 but f6/7 in the middle….the forecasters don’t always get it right. 8 hours in total….got enough fuel for that? You can’t fill up with Jerry cans in an f6

Daydream believer

Visit site
Even on the calmest of days the Alderney Race can sometimes kick up a 1 metre chop with a very short interval. More so to the east side. It can be quite uncomfortable motoring my 31 ft yacht through it. The point being that a 23 ft boat may find it difficult to go at any speed & find the confused sea quite concerning. There is also an area shown on the charts between the Race & Jersey that is supposed to be rough. I have always avoided it.

If you catch it wrong - Wind over tide etc. or miss slack water, then have an alternative plan on hand.
Great destination though.

Last edited:

scottyolo

Visit site
As for the main concern when making a crossing to Jersey in something like an S23:

Is it primarily the risk of bad weather potentially capsizing the boat due to its lack of suitability for rough conditions, or is the concern more focused on the single engine, where a failure in heavy seas could exacerbate the situation?

stelican

Visit site
As for the main concern when making a crossing to Jersey in something like an S23:

Is it primarily the risk of bad weather potentially capsizing the boat due to its lack of suitability for rough conditions, or is the concern more focused on the single engine, where a failure in heavy seas could exacerbate the situation?
Quite simply the boat is not designed for a heavy sea.

colhel

Visit site

In my opinion, no. Weather that bad should be in the forecast, the issue for me is it would be so uncomfortable it would be too tiring. Also visibility on the Channel can often be poor so if no autohelm, more work and concentration. With a fit knowledgeable crew so can rest between helming and navigating and plenty of fuel it's doable, but I'd prefer a more suitable boat😁

jointventureII

Visit site
Even on the calmest of days the Alderney Race can sometimes kick up a 1 metre chop with a very short interval. More so to the east side. It can be quite uncomfortable motoring my 31 ft yacht through it. The point being that a 23 ft boat may find it difficult to go at any speed & find the confused sea quite concerning. There is also an area shown on the charts between the Race & Jersey that is supposed to be rough. I have always avoided it.

If you catch it wrong - Wind over tide etc. or miss slack water, then have an alternative plan on hand.
Great destination though.
Banc de la Schole (spelling...), yes it can get nasty over there too. Usually if you're at 15+ knots you'll get through the lot (Race / Swinge, Alderney, banks south of Alderney) whilst the tide is slack, assuming you've timed it right.

But the tide can really mess with things, especially around there. A calm day, wind wise, can still be a bit nasty.

Hot Property

Visit site
I've crossed lyme bay (50 miles) in my outboard powered Saver 690 (my profile photo boat). Started off as a F2 but ended on F5 halfway through.

Green waves over the bow but I wasn't concerned about the boat, just that I didn't put the canopy up when I could so I was drenched.

I would consider a cross channel crossing BUT only in company with others. I was about 12 miles offshore but 50 miles is sub optimal should you have difficulties.

Take epirb, vhf, liferaft and spare fuel with a method of transferring safely underway. It will be diesel so no fire risk

Good luck!

Daydream believer

Visit site
Another choppy bit is the point is pointe du Corbiere, (spelling? Have I got the name right?) where you go from southerly direction to an easterly course towards St Helier. I have had some fun there. It all depends on winds & tides.
Personally I would take the very slightly shorter trip to St Peter Port first then St Helier the next day. That way you can play the tides better.
Of course you could stop at Dielette first. But I have never tried that & schengan becomes an issue. See attached link
Dielette

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
Looking to take my sealine s23 to Jersey this summer. It is rated for inshore but I was wondering if anyone else had done it in a s23 and any tips or pointers would be helpful. Looks like a 3-4hr trip if its calm.

And if anyone is located in South West would they like to join on convoy?
You may be on the limit of your safe range on a tank of fuel. You will use more fuel if it is rough and in rough weather it is near impossible to add more from cans.

It is very unlikely it will be calm enough all the way to maintain sufficient speed to completer the voyage in 4 hours. Probably safer to plan for 8 hours.

Personally, I think it is unwise to assume you will be safer in company with others. What do you expect they will be able to do if you need help in mid channel in anything more than a flat calm?

Last edited:

jointventureII

Visit site
Another choppy bit is the point is pointe du Corbiere, (spelling?) where you go from southerly direction to an easterly course towards St Helier. I have had some fun there. It all depends on winds & tides.
Personally I would take the very slightly shorter trip to St Peter Port first then St Helier the next day. That way you can play the tides better.
Of course you could stop at Dielette first. But I have never tried that & schengan becomes an issue. See attached link
Dielette
Yes the SW corner of Jersey can also be difficult! Though by that point you've more or less made it. St PP is a good shout to be honest, it's also knackering doing long distances in small boats (I'm from Jersey, even the 14 miles from Carteret to Gorey can feel like a lifetime if you're heading back into it all)

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Anything is doable. Check with your insurance company, some have a 12 mile offshore rule unless on passage. Then it is down to weather, sea state, skippers skill and crew strength. If you have an autohelm that will help. As @Plum said above fuel management is going to be important.

Crossing the shipping lanes will be fun.

Elessar

Visit site

I did the crossing in my 25ft single engined Bayliner plenty of times.
Force 4 max for the day of crossing and the 2 days before crossing.
The chance of sudden failure en route is tiny. Don’t worry about it.
The boat won’t capsize either n any weather you’d be prepared to take it out in. The boat can cope with more than you.

Keith-i

Visit site
I know people who have done the Solent to Alderney in 5.5m ribs and also jetskis. Not only do you have to pick your weather out, you also need it for the return. I would avoid anything above a F3 in the Alderney Race or Swinge.