Titchmarsh Harbour Lights

PeterBoater

Visit site
What's the latest on the Harbour Lights; is it still closed?

As a follow-up query, what's the latest on the Loch & Quay at Woolverstone? The last I heard, it was closed following a fire and MDL had no plans to repair/open it.

johnalison

Visit site
Harbour lights is an annex to the old folks’ homes in Walton on Naze. How well it will do with more ambition we’ll have to see.

alandalus11

Visit site
News has it from the builders that the people who owned the Oyster Shed on Mersea are taking it over but doubt very much if it will be open in September. Shame because that will be most of the season over with and no where at Titchmarsh to eat unless you want to take the long walk into town.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
News has it from the builders that the people who owned the Oyster Shed on Mersea are taking it over but doubt very much if it will be open in September. Shame because that will be most of the season over with and no where at Titchmarsh to eat unless you want to take the long walk into town.
You mean the Oyster Bar opposite the Victory, not the Company Shed to avoid confusion.

johnalison

Visit site
Although it would be lovely to have a good eatery there, its bread and butter trade used to be basic lunches for locals, with and without dogs. Some years ago the carvery was very successful for a while and very popular. I don’t know what they are planning, but Walton is very different from W Mersea and I do hope they get it right.

nortada

Visit site
Eateries in Walton are on the up.

Titchmarsh’s problem is, The Harbour Lights is off the beaten track and too far out of town to attract the locals so it’s cliental is largely limited to berth holders and visitors by road.

If, indeed, the folk from the Oyster Shed on Mersea take over the Harbour Lights and produce similar fare to the Oyster Shed this could work as many folk (us included) travelled many miles to eat at the Oyster Shed. 👍🏻

Hope this proves to be the case.🤞🏻

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Although it would be lovely to have a good eatery there, its bread and butter trade used to be basic lunches for locals, with and without dogs. Some years ago the carvery was very successful for a while and very popular. I don’t know what they are planning, but Walton is very different from W Mersea and I do hope they get it right.
I'll be happy to see a place with a much shorter menu so it is less reliant on pre-prepared food. I'd also appreciate dog friendliness!

johnalison

Visit site
I'll be happy to see a place with a much shorter menu so it is less reliant on pre-prepared food. I'd also appreciate dog friendliness!
For myself, I entirely agree, but I don’t know enough about the economics of running such a place to know if higher quality food would be viable there. I have eaten very good superior quality food in Continental marinas and YCs but my impression is that their clientele is more sophisticated than the local variety. It always looks to me as if there is a big gulf in the cost of basic pub food in its current form and food with the individual touch, though I occasionally come across honourable exceptions.

ianc1200

Visit site
"Isn't there a barrier now after 6pm, with access into the marina with a 'fob'? How would they overcome that?"

That's because the restaurant is closed.

I have seen it closed earlier than 6pm though - more usually 5.30 and a couple of times earlier. No need for a fob to get out though, just drive up slowly and it opens.

ianc1200

Visit site
Speaking to Andrew in the marina office today, it will be early next year, they are spending a fortune on refurbishment, the West Mersea Oyster Bar people are relocating to the restaurant (ie it will be knowledgeable people running it), and will be high quality. He told me more, but clearly the intention is to have a high quality fish restaurant but other options, steak etc, available.

ianc1200

Visit site
It occurred to me too - checked that also - two different companies I was told, ie WM Oysters and the WM Oyster Bar. The Kirby Creek oyster man works for the WM Oyster company, not the Bar.

Plum

Visit site
Speaking to Andrew in the marina office today, it will be early next year, they are spending a fortune on refurbishment, the West Mersea Oyster Bar people are relocating to the restaurant (ie it will be knowledgeable people running it), and will be high quality. He told me more, but clearly the intention is to have a high quality fish restaurant but other options, steak etc, available.
I understand it is the "Mersea Island Fish Bar Ltd" that is taking on the old Harbour Lights restaurant although that company was previously called "West Mersea Oyster Bar" from 2010 to 2021. When I was there on July 31 this year Andrew was at the restaurant to meet the two guys who were taking it over and when they arrived their van had "Mersea Island Fish Bar" written on it.

"West Mersea Oyster Bar (2021) Ltd" is a different company, formed in 2020, different directors, that has now gone into voluntary liquidation.

"Mersea Oysters Ltd" is yet another company and that one is linked to "Mersea Oyster Holdings Ltd"

tillergirl

Visit site
Mersea Island Fish Bar run the 'fish and chip' shop. Good stuff, not cheap though SWMBO says. As Colin says they ran the the Oyster Bar for a couple of years. Since then the Oyster Bar was run by a local Oyster family but decided for some sensible decisions (was it this year or last year? Memory failure) to stop opening as a restaurant but still supply local oysters and fish at the same location.