Time to Move

Daydream believer

Visit site
So glad it would be a bad choice for you, and thank you for your negative opinion.

Some of us are not interested in muddy anchorages and would rather journey further afield to places we actually like going to.
If you have ever read any of my other posts you will realise that i am a lover of the French coast & as for muddy anchorages- I have only used my anchor 6 times in the time I have owned my boat from new, in 2003. Ihave an inherent dislike ofmuddy creeks. I just wished to point out the problems if you wanted to go for short day sails.
But to each his own & out into the channel, wander about aimlessly & then back again may well suit some.
Not my idea of enjoyment.
Dieppe is 80 miles & for many that involves a weekend or longer sail. Coupled with the issues of logging in & out of Shengan it makes things difficult. The customs office is not always open & involves a EU15 taxi ride from the visitors berths.
Because I did not log out at Ostend this year, I had to sail to Dunkirk, Boulogne,( gave calais a miss as advised) Dieppe (to book out) Then Dover. Bit of a roundabout route made worse by being ill & SH. It just shows the options available, or not, as the case will be.

Daydream believer

Visit site
‘Well, who on earth would want to go to the Medway etc’

This is a little unfair and opinionated!

Many of us sail on the Medway and throughout the Thames Estuary North with all the delights of the East Coast proper and South and there are many challenges for the everyday cruiser sailor.
The Swale is beautiful - in parts - and we regularly anchor at Harty Ferry. Emerging from the Swale at Queenborough after transiting the inside passage there the creeks of Stangate, Sharfleet and Half Acre. These are tranquil protected and full of natural life.

I’m sure you have sampled all these delights and no doubt enjoyed them. Everywhere has positives and negatives even Dover.
What is not to like in the Medway? The muddy banks, the bridge to nowhere the power station, the part demolished factory, The jetty & the one that appears to be ready for demolition, The old barge dumped in the river, The welcoming mob at Chatham marina. The berk in the trimaran who seemed intent on ramming me. All so quaint, to mention just a small part. Still it worth it, for a trip to the dockyard - even though lots of it was shut :rolleyes:

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
What is not to like in the Medway? The muddy banks, the bridge to nowhere the power station, the part demolished factory, The jetty & the one that appears to be ready for demolition, The old barge dumped in the river, The welcoming mob at Chatham marina. The berk in the trimaran who seemed intent on ramming me. All so quaint, to mention just a small part. Still it worth it, for a trip to the dockyard - even though lots of it was shut :rolleyes:
Oh well, each to their own. Muddy Medway, Muddy Blackwater, Muddy East Coast.
All I’m saying is that everywhere has its good and it’s not so good! It’s the getting out on the water - by whatever means, in what ever craft and wherever it is and enjoying life.

oldgit

Visit site
and the bad bits ? :)

oldgit

Visit site
The Mudway.
364.5 days boating every year, no matter what the wind direction, a quick trip out to get rid of the cobwebs is possible.
Might draw the line at a NE F9..........Probably, unless the sun is out !