Time/Ratings calc

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
thanks Flaming, google was my friend there as I just worked it out using this handy site

http://www.petestack.com/sailing/apps/corrected.php

What's your view on how weight can effect the rating. Say my boat was weighed and found to be 200KG heaver than it's current rated weight. How much difference do you think that would make to the rating?

I have been adding too much comfort gear (heating, bigger water tanks, music system, etc, etc) and it all adds up.

thanks again.

Last edited:

flaming

Visit site
If what you're really asking is "should I get weighed" then absolutely.

The weight does make a massive difference. And I'll be staggered if you're anything like as little as 200kg over design weight. Most non "racy" boats come out miles over.

Racecruiser

Visit site
thanks Flaming, google was my friend there as I just worked it out using this handy site

http://www.petestack.com/sailing/apps/corrected.php

What's your view on how weight can effect the rating. Say my boat was weighed and found to be 200KG heaver than it's current rated weight. How much difference do you think that would make to the rating?

I have been adding too much comfort gear (heating, bigger water tanks, music system, etc, etc) and it all adds up.

thanks again.

The rating office is very strict on what items have to be removed when weighing takes place for an endorsed rating and it has to be done by an approved measurer who will check the boat is stripped before weighing and measuring overhangs etc- apologies if you already know that. Permanently fixed items are different of course.

Last edited:

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Thanks Racecruiser, I have been reading the requirements of what comes off and stays on, it seems pretty straight-forward and logical.

Just in the process of booking this now with the local IRC measurer and boatyard (and emptying my wallet in the process). I can understand why many don't want to race in IRC because of the costs.

H4B

Visit site
How often and do sails have to be measured by an IRC measurer to remain endorsed and can a certified boat weight be submitted with a self declared sail measurements to refine a rating?
Apologies for the questions but we went into IRC through the RORC. Club start up scheme last year. Very pleased to be using IRC and have had great success with an aged cruiser but the finer detail of the scheme is still new to me.

Last edited:

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
How often and do sails have to be measured by an IRC measurer to remain endorsed and can a certified boat weight be submitted with a self declared sail measurements to refine a rating?
Apologies for the questions but we went into IRC through the RORC. Club start up scheme last year. Very pleased to be using IRC and have had great success with an aged cruiser but the finer detail of the scheme is still new to me.

Sails only have to be measured once for an endorsed certificate as far as I know.

Self declared sail measurements can be submitted for non endorsed, again AFAIK.

flaming

Visit site

Sails are only required to be measured once. However, many top teams will re-measure their sails before the biggest events because sails typically shrink over time. That is of course assuming they haven't simply got new ones... Some events may decide to spot check sails to ensure they conform with the certificate. But this is very rare.

Almost all sailmakers are certificated as IRC approved these days, so they can measure the sails after they've made them and submit that info to RORC for an endorsed certificate. But if you want an endorsed rating you cannot measure your sails yourself.

Also worth noting you don't actually have to get weighed to be endorsed, assuming your boat is a standard production boat. It is normally advisable though.

What events are you looking to do that require an endorsed rating?

H4B

Visit site
Sails are only required to be measured once. However, many top teams will re-measure their sails before the biggest events because sails typically shrink over time. That is of course assuming they haven't simply got new ones... Some events may decide to spot check sails to ensure they conform with the certificate. But this is very rare.

Almost all sailmakers are certificated as IRC approved these days, so they can measure the sails after they've made them and submit that info to RORC for an endorsed certificate. But if you want an endorsed rating you cannot measure your sails yourself.

Also worth noting you don't actually have to get weighed to be endorsed, assuming your boat is a standard production boat. It is normally advisable though.

What events are you looking to do that require an endorsed rating?

Non really . I was really just wondering whether it was possible or worthwhile to have boat officially weighed as part of a non endorsed rating, considering that older boats are always at a weight, and therefore rating disadvantage against their designed standard weight used as a default in 'the calculation '

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
That's one of the reasons I'm getting my old tub on the scales later this month. But I do race a bit in IRC so worth having my rating lowered to match the boats real weight rather than the standard weight IRC have been using. It will only make a small difference but I have lost places by the same small margins.

H4B

Visit site
Received my IRC 2016 Yearbook yesterday and all the questions that one might ask are answered at the back.

Perhaps , as its the intention to grow the adoption of the rule and rating further, it might be an idea to show to photographs of more typical club cruiser events in addition to the glossy high tech boats that are beyond most people's budgets.

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Received my IRC 2016 Yearbook yesterday and all the questions that one might ask are answered at the back.

Perhaps , as its the intention to grow the adoption of the rule and rating further, it might be an idea to show to photographs of more typical club cruiser events in addition to the glossy high tech boats that are beyond most people's budgets.

Yeah, I think I agree. As a rule it is supposed to be more "Cruiser/Racer friendly" than other rating systems around (IMS?) but the pics used suggest otherwise.

Racecruiser

Visit site
Yeah, I think I agree. As a rule it is supposed to be more "Cruiser/Racer friendly" than other rating systems around (IMS?) but the pics used suggest otherwise.

Yes that's a fair point the exception being Whooper on page 14 and she is a Laurent Giles one-off from many (5 or 6) decades back - however that hasn't stopped her from being hugely successful including winning the RTI Gold Roman Bowl at least once. We come up against her in JOG inshores sometimes and she is very well sailed with nice rags - we can beat her if everything goes well and depending on the conditions but seeing her on the entry list is not guaranteed to improve your day!

Birdseye

Visit site
Thanks Racecruiser, I have been reading the requirements of what comes off and stays on, it seems pretty straight-forward and logical.

Just in the process of booking this now with the local IRC measurer and boatyard (and emptying my wallet in the process). I can understand why many don't want to race in IRC because of the costs.

Weighing and measuring is a minor cost if you want to seriously race. What about all the new gear, sails in particular. Easy to spend 6k on a mainsail for example, and will it last competitively more than 2 seasons?

flaming

Visit site

Whilst a fair point, it's also fair to say that it has to cover all bases, as just about every other measurement system has died out, leaving IRC as (in the UK anyway) the only game in town.