Towable genoa cars on a 27f yacht?

William_H

Visit site
I did try jury rigging BH with low friction rings, did work but they kept banging on the deck and side windows when on windward side
Perhaps one of the reasons we don't see so many Barber Haulers as we would expect. Certainly a jib not correctly sheeted is like you have a huge area flag just flapping doing no good. Better off with less sail area all working well. Anyway a bit of light bungee cord in the right place might control your BH rings not in use. ol'will

Refueler

Visit site
I did try jury rigging BH with low friction rings, did work but they kept banging on the deck and side windows when on windward side

With my simple system ... the windward BH pulley would lay on the deck if sheet is slack .. or I would just pull in the BH line to have pulley against the car. No knocking at all. When you tack .. you tack .. sheet in and adjust BH last.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
With my simple system ... the windward BH pulley would lay on the deck if sheet is slack .. or I would just pull in the BH line to have pulley against the car. No knocking at all. When you tack .. you tack .. sheet in and adjust BH last.
We can suffer from the barber blocks hitting the coachroof or even the windows, and it’s not just a LFR, but a 2 ended double block, connected by a swivel. You either need to be barber hauled or loads of slack, no halfway houses.

Gixer

Visit site
I went out today with the sole intention of moving the cars around and seeing what happens.

I came to two conclusions, 1. The cars need to be much further aft than I thought. 2. I really have no idea what I’m doing.

I do have plenty of track length to play with so will do some more experimenting before I spend any serious money. Interestingly I can reach with my hand the end of the track from the cockpit. Does anyone make a jammer that fits onto 25mm track? Would save me drilling more holes in the old girl..

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
That’s the unusual way round. Every boat I see with bad jib trim has the cars too far aft. Our cars are halfway down the track in 12kn of wind and full jib. I would ask if you are sheeting in hard enough. Most people don’t do that either.

Daverw

Visit site
That’s the unusual way round. Every boat I see with bad jib trim has the cars too far aft. Our cars are halfway down the track in 12kn of wind and full jib. I would ask if you are sheeting in hard enough. Most people don’t do that either.
This was my main reason to upgrade, I was always keeping cars back and only moving them forward as far as I could easily reach which was about 1/4 from end of track. What I found on a recent multi day trip was that about half way for full Genoa and 1/4 from front end for 1st reef. During this trip we had many hours of steady breeze and set the cars before I set off and the difference was really noticeable. One of the issues for not doing this before is that the top 1/2 of the Genoa is mostly hidden by the main so I don’t spend much time tweaking it if the bottom I can see looks ok