Time for me to get another boat!

BartW

www.amptec.be
. I still feel that its very much a buyers market and I have time on my side.

Pete
exatly !
Try to enjoy these exploration visits,...make a short hollyday of it, looking back now, that was pure boating fun, inclusive a little bit of healthy stress ;)

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
exatly !
Try to enjoy these exploration visits,...make a short hollyday of it, looking back now, that was pure boating fun, inclusive a little bit of healthy stress ;)

Thanks Bart. My son wasn't very well in the summer and my wife has just has an operation to travelling as a couple hasn't been possible for the past six months. My son is now much better and my wife is getting stronger by the day we should be able to do exactly as you say in a few weeks time.

Compared to health issues, boat buying stress is nothing!

John100156

Visit site
We had both reverse cycle aircon and eberspacher heating when we had our boat in Mallorca.

We preferred the Eberspacher for heating, it warmed up quicker and, as Mike says, it gave off a more pleasant heat - although that could have just been the positioning of the vents. We also had a vent in the cockpit which was useful for out of season cooler evenings.

That said we usually used the air con heating as when we were in the marina we could hook up to shore power which was fully inclusive with the berth rental so didn't effectively cost us anything.

The boat had both when we bought it - it started life in the UK hence the Eberspacer with the air con a retro fit when it was moved to the Med - but I wouldn't fit both from scratch, the reverse cycle aircon will do the trick just fine for the Med.

Interesting - there is no difference to the heat, in fact Eberspacher, due to an elevated supply-air temperature, actually dries the air significantly more than a reverse cycle heat pump would - remember we are only passing air over a heater, no moisture is added to the process, the Eber if well designed will heat the boat fast, as it tends to use small diameter higher velocity supply air ducts, supply air at a much higher temp to get the heating capacity required...... I have had both, if your priority is to heat the boat fast = Eber if you want a more stable internal temperature inside, once heated up = RCHP. You get more cycling in temp with the Eber....

petem

A couple of questions for you guys....

Can a boat be so cheap that it would put you off viewing it (say 20% less than the cheaper competition)?

I've been avoiding Italian brokers as from reading other posts on here they seem to be trouble. Am I being over pessimistic (Italian boats appear to be cheaper than French / Spanish ones)?

Portofino

Visit site
I had a. +ve experiance approx this time last year .
Build up a rapport -online ask for more info ,photos ,
Speak on the phone
"pronto". So funny hearing that when they pick up .
Blue book -reg doc makes paperwork very simple -like a Uk car V5 at Swansea .
Top tip Sort price out before viewing trip , from you have seen via e-mail .

Last edited:

petem

I had a. +ve experiance approx this time last year .
Build up a rapport -online ask for more info ,photos ,
Speak on the phone
"pronto". So funny hearing that when they pick up .
Blue book -reg doc makes paperwork very simple -like a Uk car V5 at Swansea .
Top tip Sort price out before viewing trip , from you have seen via e-mail .

Thanks Portofino, is agreeing a price before viewing normal for IT Sales?

MapisM

Visit site
P, 'fiuaskme I'd rather negotiate the price face to face - possibly asking beforehand only if there's some room for negotiation or the seller "really" wants the asking price.
And that's what I actually did in the past, even when discussing face to face meant flying to the other side of the Pond.
Then again, maybe the broker can understand that you must jump on a plane to meet, and could accept some sort of email negotiation, I'm not sure.
Hard to tell what's "normal", in this respect - it's probably more up to the single broker and his understanding of your difficulties that anything else.

capsco

Visit site
Anyone asking me to reduce the price before they had even looked at it would be treated courteously but filed in the "the tyre kickers" basket.

Hardmy

Visit site
I also bought trough an Italian broker in the Cattolica area, a nice an honest guy who I can recommend. I was also happy with the paperwork. I cannot say this of others I came accross. We could maybe list the names of IT-brokers which we were happy with?

I also fully agree with MapisM. I would ask how bad, or how fast the owner wants to sell. Then the broker may immediately state that the owner is certainly ready for discussing the price, he may even give a ballpark figure of what he sees as a realistic final price. Then the rest is face to face.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Albeit I've bought my last 2 boats from Italian dealers rather the brokers, it was nothing other than a pleasurable experience particularly my current boat which was the best buying experience I've had ever

Pete in every country you'll find sharks and good guys. The key is to organise the process in such a way that you don't get bitten if the broker turns out to be a shark

desperatelyseeking

Visit site
I'm interested in the Italian broker comments. I have a Cranchi CSL 27 which I keep in Sardinia. When I expressed an interest in selling to the guy who looks after the boat for me he explained the process in Italy. He told me, and I'd love to have this confirmed/denied, that in Italy, he has to give an official valuation rather than me set the price. This is because he has to offer a 6 month warranty on the boat to the next purchaser. I find it odd that I have to accept his valuation, which as mentioned before, is much lower in Italy than boats I have seen for sale on various websites. The commission is also 10% which seems on the toppy side to me. I would consider bringing it back to UK to sell but there are problems with changing registration and the obvious costs involved. Also, my boat is suited to med climes far more than it is to UK so I'm not sure of the advantage of moving it. To my mind, if what I have been told is true, I think buying in Italy seems skewed towards the buyer so I would definately not be put off buying in Italy, not such a happy situation for me as a seller though!!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I'm interested in the Italian broker comments. I have a Cranchi CSL 27 which I keep in Sardinia. When I expressed an interest in selling to the guy who looks after the boat for me he explained the process in Italy. He told me, and I'd love to have this confirmed/denied, that in Italy, he has to give an official valuation rather than me set the price. This is because he has to offer a 6 month warranty on the boat to the next purchaser. I find it odd that I have to accept his valuation, which as mentioned before, is much lower in Italy than boats I have seen for sale on various websites. The commission is also 10% which seems on the toppy side to me. I would consider bringing it back to UK to sell but there are problems with changing registration and the obvious costs involved. Also, my boat is suited to med climes far more than it is to UK so I'm not sure of the advantage of moving it. To my mind, if what I have been told is true, I think buying in Italy seems skewed towards the buyer so I would definately not be put off buying in Italy, not such a happy situation for me as a seller though!!

I do understand that in Italy if a boat is being sold by a dealer (ie the dealer owns title to the boat) the boat must be sold with a warranty under Italian consumer laws although as far as I knew, it was 12 months not 6 months. Certainly I got 12 months on my purchase. But I have never heard of a broker (ie broker does not own title) having to provide a warranty on a boat he is selling on behalf of the owner. However I wait for others to pronounce on this. Yes 10% fee is indeed toppy but brokers fees tend to be negotiable when there is a deal to be had but best discuss that upfront with the broker

Certainly I think you are right not to bring the boat back to the UK for sale. The CSL27 is a lovely boat but the Cranchi name is not as well known as others and the open style of the boat with more cockpit than accomodation wouldn't interest many UK buyers

Portofino

Visit site
Via internet , more pic s+ phone calls you get the broker /owner into a position whereby there are no more Q,s to ask -ie you know and have seen all that there is to see and know ,like how fast ,how keen is the owner to sell and what price is acceptable .Then go to view -if its as described -buy it .
Serious buyer by now if still interested with all this info
Saves wasted trip / time / sea trail
You should not really travel 1000 miles to find gaps in paperwork , rusty anchor chain , collapsed previous sale due to waterlogged hull , stuff not working etc .
Of course this is different if you want a day out in the Solent area live 1 hours drive away - dare I say it "fender kicking "
Turn up and say " I really need 3 cabins ( in a 2 cabin boat ) or its not got the engines I wish or what ever .
Or I,am confused over the VAT status ? -I prefer a white hull ( on a blue hulled boat )
Not too sure on the cream carpets -- need I go on ---
But folks do this all the time .
Travelling 1000 miles shows intent and focus,s both minds yours and the seller -so get the price worked out before .
Sure face to face to fix odd little defects that you did not know and of course haggle on the brokers fee and how he wants it paying plus ,whats going to be written on the BOS etc .

MapisM

Visit site
@ desperatelyseeking:

On top of confirming everything Deleted User said, I would add that there is neither any need nor habit to have the boat value assessed officially (whatever that means).
If you are happy with the service of that guy in looking after to your boat, in your boots I would stick to that and use someone else for the sale - or even better, I'd advertise it myself.
Btw, the CSL 27 has a decent market also around the IT lakes and also in CH, for lake usage, though most folks would privilege a fresh water only boat, AOTBE (fwiw, I also would, and I actually did, in some occasions).
Good luck anyway.

Last edited:

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com

Due to the nature of what they're selling, yacht brokers must put up with a lot of fantasists and tyre kickers, and probably don't want to be going back to the owner every time someone rings up out of the blue asking for a discount. That may be even more true if the person ringing lives in another country.

I think the trick is to convince the broker that you're a serious potential buyer by asking the right questions, so that he can see you have tried to assess the boats value relative to others on the market, rather than just offering low prices on everything. By doing this, I've always managed to have a sensible discussion with foreign brokers about where the owner's mind is on pricing before committing to the cost of a viewing.

petem

Well, following a conversation with the broker, that's a second vendor that is refusing to budge on his asking price. At least this time it hasn't cost me time and money.

I wonder if I'm looking too early in the season, when sellers are still being optimistic with regard to the value of their boats.

Perhaps I need to put my search on hold for a month or two - yeah right, like I'm gonna do that :)

Pete

petem

Can anyone hazard a guess what these controllers and holder are for?

5073701_20150429044203612_1_XLARGE.jpg