Time for me to get another boat!

benjenbav

Visit site
I think it's fair to say that the summer season will go on for another month or so in the SoF and maybe a bit longer in IT and Spain so probably nothing seasonally desperate will emerge until early Nov.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I'm not seeing a lot of movement with boats coming on to the market. I'd have thought it would happen round about now or is it too early for the Med based boaters to end their seasons?
I've had experience of trying to sell a Med based boat in the autumn and there wasn't a flicker of interest. In my experience the Med buying/selling season tends to be limited to Spring so maybe you'll find more owners putting their boats up for sale towards the end of this year or beginning of next. On the other hand it may just be that the market is so depressed that owners are hanging on to their boats rather than trading up

MapisM

Visit site
Actually - talking of staying in shorts and just about nothing else, which is the only proper boating attire imho - I'm happy with a reasonably wide range of temperatures, say 20 to 35.
It's swmbo who asks to turn the heating on whenever the temp falls below mid 20s.... :ambivalence:
...though that normally doesn't happen before beginning of Nov, down here! :cool:

D

Deleted User YDKXO

His idea of "cold" is clearly yours and my idea of "comfortable"! :D
Don't worry, he also complained about the 'cold' when he stepped onto my boat recently:D I've given up explaining to him that when you're used to an 18deg British summer, 35deg is a bit sweaty

MapisM

Visit site
Yea Yea
Don't rub it in.
LOL, exactly at 30 degrees while I'm writing, with very light southern breeze.
Which TBH is beginning to be a bit annoying - this summer we had much more S/SE wind than usually, hence the hot and humid weather at times.
But it seems that the weather Gods are preparing a proper cooling Mistral for the weekend, in view of Deleted User arrival! :D

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com

Thanks. Is there any power assistance to the steering?

Let me ask the question in another way, which Drive Unit would be required for an Autopilon (http://www.raymarine.co.uk/view/?id=579)t?

Stelican, I vaguely remember some reason back in 1999 why A/P couldn't be fitted to T30's (according to Jim Whelan who had the other T30 in the marina). Can you recall the reason?

Last edited:

petem

Thanks Jez, this wouldn't impact me would it (the Teleflex bit)?

Note: This drive is not compatible with 1997 or later Mercruiser power assist Inboard/Outboard drives or any system using Teleflex non feedback helms.

Would a helm wheel with no feedback continue to spin?

Last edited:

petem

I know some people find this research not really appropriate pre-sale but I've had some prices for Autopilot now and the parts alone are £2600* so I guess fitted will be c. £3k. At this price I question whether its worth fitting (the Plotter and Radar could be upgraded for the same money). I'm not sure if I'd get much of this back at re-sale time although these extras will make it easier to sell. Would I stand a chance of securing this stuff at a better price at Excel?

So i'm thinking a boat that already has A/P and A/C might be a better bet. Even if a better equipped boat is a little scruffy then £6k goes a long way for fixing cosmetic issues (assuming the oily bits have been well maintained).

Thoughts?

* The universal stern drive actuator is £800 alone.

Portofino

Visit site
Pete -existing Med boaters have been trying to tell you this .
Ironic you are worrying about A/C and A/P - arguably discretionary items when considering buying a 15 y old or so stern drive .€2K min every 2years + everything else posted on here
Or any thing corroding away with an old Volvo engine !
Back to MED specced cabin version of a Pershing 37 .?
You will spend 90 % of your time outside the "cabin -cave -" in MSC either relaxing in the cockpit ,sunbathing on the sun pad,
Helming to the Baldricks ( this boat can do that easily ) or on land around the pool :eek:
Also the fun of Del trip bringing one back sliding along the coast from Italy .

benjenbav

Visit site
I know some people find this research not really appropriate pre-sale but I've had some prices for Autopilot now and the parts alone are £2600* so I guess fitted will be c. £3k. At this price I question whether its worth fitting (the Plotter and Radar could be upgraded for the same money). I'm not sure if I'd get much of this back at re-sale time although these extras will make it easier to sell. Would I stand a chance of securing this stuff at a better price at Excel?

So i'm thinking a boat that already has A/P and A/C might be a better bet. Even if a better equipped boat is a little scruffy then £6k goes a long way for fixing cosmetic issues (assuming the oily bits have been well maintained).

Thoughts?

* The universal stern drive actuator is £800 alone.

A/C is going to be essential in the med. A/P: very nice to have. Both are going to be items that will probably be as good when you sell as when you fit them and the absence of which will be priced into a purchase in the sense of: it's going to cost me £x to add these essentials so I need to get the price adjusted to reflect that.

I think people feel less bothered about spending the same amount of money on a new plotter, possibly because any plotter you fit today will have been superseded by the time you sell and manmaths allows a buyer not to worry about paying for shiny electronics upgrades in much the same way that it's essential to upgrade your smartphone, despite the old one working perfectly well.

petem

An update.... I made an offer on the boat that I viewed above. Bearing in mind the remedial work that would be required I thought an offer just short of 90% of the asking price was appropriate. Unfortunately the vendor has refused to entertain any offers and is demanding the full asking price. The boat simply isn't worth that much to me.

I don't believe in attempting to negotiate a price before a viewing and on this occasion I didn't ask the broker if the vendor would be willing to negotiate. This school boy error combined with a difficult vendor has set me back the price of a flight and hotel. I guess it hadn't occurred to me that someone would be so inflexible. Still, its given me a benchmark to compare other boats against.

Looking forward, there's a been a price drop bringing a boat that I fancied into my price range and another one has today come on to the market today. I still feel that its very much a buyers market and I have time on my side.

Pete

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Best thing in the circumstances, Pete. The boat wasn't in perfect condition. Plenty more fish in the sea