Time for me to get another boat!

Hardmy

Visit site
I looked at berthing costs at PM earlier this year and I thought them to be reasonable but still significantly higher than SCM. The thing about PM of course is that any more you pay for berthing is going to be offset by the cost of diesel at €0.60/litre or thereabouts. That plus the stunning local scenery and proximity to the Croatian cruising grounds

I am also a fan of PM, but what puts me off is the access. Tivat airport which is perfectly located proposes nearly only connections to Russia. OK, I admit that Podgorica and Dubrovnik airport are doable with a rented car. Then I think also that the price of PM is on the high side (especially compared to Greece where I am now). Why not keep the boat in Dubrovnik or in the soon finished ACI marina of Slano (only 30NM from PM)? You would visit PM from time to time for a cheap refuel. Dubrovnik is also all-year around connected to the outside world.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I wonder if you guys could help me. Would you consider these motors to be in acceptable condition on a 15 year old boat? As you can see, there's some rusty bits (looks mostly like clips to me) and some oil staining.

39154573gallery_wm.jpg

39154569gallery_wm.jpg

39154571gallery_wm.jpg

Pete

julians

Visit site
On a purely cosmetic basis (which is all they can be judged on from a photo), they look pretty good to me. They look about in about the same cosmetic condition as the engine in boat, which is a 9 year old volvo D4.

The only aspect that looks like it may be beneficial to replace is (as you say) the various hose clamps , they look like they may have seen better days, but they wont be expensive or difficult to replace.

BartW

www.amptec.be
On the third pic, you can see that one part (pump?) has been repainted ( green paint on the black cover, and on the water reservoir) would be curious to know what was the reason for that

Portofino

Visit site
I had a pair of rhe kad300 ( slightly later modal 2003 ) for 9 years - they look ok in the pics -I waxoiled all the rusting nuts,clamps etc -that weld in the black metal air pipe corroded -pic 1 -same place ,along with the engine mounts exactly the same - although not clear the "alloy " fuel pipes blow as well -agian rub down + waxoil to extend life .
I,ve said this before Pete -the bits covered in Oil ' ie the internals -crank, rods, pistons , bearings ,valve gear etc are bomb proof ,it's all the external bolt on stuff that lets down VP stuff ,
Older the worse it gets .
On the Kad 300 'assuming 44 is the same there is no rocker box gasket ,they use a black sealant squirted arround to reseal after the cam cover / rocker box come off for the tappets adjustment .
I can,t see any on pic1 - that tells me either it got a gasket ( dought it ) ,tappets have never been done ,or "engineer " is super neat and tidy with a mastique gun ? .
Over and above the potential outdrive issues ,I would not get into a boat with ageing VP power
Defining ageing as 10+ years .
As others have said arround 40 ft at SCM will get you about .
Deeper V as poss on shafts .Sterndrives tend to have flatter aft sections after all 44's 260hp x2 so will a lifting hull = flatter aft sections .
You can Pootle if fuel comsuption is worrying you ,running a 7 L CAT ,or 12L MAN or whatever ?
Example 825 rpm = 9 + knots -- 15-17 L/hr. per side say 36 L with 2000 L full going through MAN 12.8 L
There are plenty of older /same age 38-45 ftrs shafty Italian Cat, powered boats to pick from
Pershing,Itama, Baia, just three examples

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
Last edited:
Visit site
Due to the limited supply of well spec'd T34's I think I might have to broaden my scope a little.

As V44's seem to be keenly priced, I might add these to the list. The way I see it, apart from the additional mooring cost (even this doesn't seem to be a factor at SCM) and anitfouling / polishing effort I canst see that these would be dearer to run than a T34 with the same engines. Is that true? I'm also thinking the additional length might make it more suitable for pootling so man math may actually make it cheaper!

I'm also not adverse to Cranchi Zaffiro 34's. Any thoughts on buying a 10 year old one of these?

Not keen on the styling of Gobbi's I'm afraid.

In case it helps, we were berthed next to a Zaffiro 34 at SCM this year, her clearly experienced owners enjoyed time on board and a weeks coastal cruise s-west with little to bother them at all, save a bit of weather and the odd wave going over the boat on their return leg. FWIW, we took our RS43 out to the Columbretes, around 45 NM offshore in good weather for lunch. Swell, not waves, was the sea state with no white tops at all and I guess typically 1m with the occasional extra 1.0m (up or down) to keep you focussed on throttles & steering. Our mean passage speed over both legs was 30kt with 5 up and max fuel on departure and (apparently) for those seated, weightless for about half the trip! Based on that, I'd not passage plan a trip to the Baldricks at anything over 30kt with the right forecast, then see what you get when you're out there. Adjust for actual weather / boat type / desired experiences!

stelican

Visit site
Resprayed bits no care taken
What are the pipes hanging down above the belt covers about very poorly installed
What make of boat is this
As regards condition of engines expect the worst anything else will then be a bonus
May be a good idea to view some of the boats Portofino is suggesting
best wishes with your purchase

MapisM

Visit site
May be a good idea to view some of the boats Portofino is suggesting
Seconded, the Tornado being another good example of a boat worth including in that list.
Oh, and I'd rather have a bit older/bigger boat, but on shafts for good!

petem

Decided to get off my backside and view another boat. Managed to miss my connecting flight so am stuck en route. Due to arrive at my final destination at 8pm so will have to view the boat in the dark (need to be back in the UK lunchtime tomorrow). Marvellous - I knew complex arrangements on Fri 13 would be a disaster!

Lloydroberts

Visit site
Don't worry Mike, I've got a sixth sense for these things. Just tucking into some slow cooked Fighting Bull cheeks with Gratin potato. Nice!

Lucky you weren't there last month.........it was Matador's testicles in a basket, apparently the bull won.

Good luck with your boat hunting.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Decided to get off my backside and view another boat. Managed to miss my connecting flight so am stuck en route. Due to arrive at my final destination at 8pm so will have to view the boat in the dark (need to be back in the UK lunchtime tomorrow). Marvellous - I knew complex arrangements on Fri 13 would be a disaster!

Well?

petem

I viewed the boat - in the dark so not ideal but the area was fairly well illuminated. It's a Targa of 2001 vintage, a two owner boat, the first owner wasn't much of a boater (more a car collector) so sold it after a couple of years. The current owner is a business man and has owned it for the last 12 years or so. The boat is in pretty good condition having been stored in a shed every winter. It needs a new teak bathing platform, batteries and the interior carpets and cushions could do with renewing.

The boat was ashore so I couldn't see the engines running. The problem is that it was serviced "by a local guy" and I suspect there will be no written history. In addition, the hour meters are no longer displaying the hours (a VERY common fault). So I have no way of validating the alleged 500 hours. Judging be the state of the anodes the boat doesn't look like its been serviced this year (it's only been used one weekend) so I have no idea how many hours its done since the last service and therefore I understand the oil sampling will be of little value.

So, do I go with my gut feel and buy it regardless? The dealer has suggested that a local VP agent would be able to check the engines so that is one option. The other option would be to take risk that the engines and drives are OK (or ask the surveyor to report) and save my money for a full engine and drive service.

I am intending to have it surveyed and sea trialled but I won't be present (having only just recovered from the stress of the journey). The place is a bitch to get to so I suspect I will use a local surveyor (probably another bad idea).

Whitelighter

Visit site
I'd still take oil samples. They won't be useless and will still show levels of first etc. You are looking at £200 so in the scheme of things a no brainer.

You list of bad points is nothing on a 14 year old boat. If you want it any nicer than that buy a new one.

I have the advantage of knowing the price - I'm amazed you haven't agreed a deal already

D

Deleted User YDKXO

So, do I go with my gut feel and buy it regardless?
Buy in haste, repent at your leisure, Pete. I certainly wouldn't buy a boat without seeing it in the daylight and you've got to be present for the seatrial unless you're totally confident over the way its going to drive. And yes it is a bad idea to use a local surveyor. If you haven't seen the boat in the daylight and you're not going to be present for the seatrial, at least send a UK surveyor out to check it over. And the lack of engine hours is a problem. Is there anything to justify the 500 hrs? Logbook? Total distance from the trip log? Is the seller going to get the hour meters repaired and zeroed?