THOSE OF US WITH BOATS IN THE MED

Bouba

Visit site
Yes, it’s pretty grim here too. It’s not even worth going to work on the boat today. And the forecast is for rain most days

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
He can't, he can only advise. The only people who can stop you travelling to another country is the govt of that country so if France says they are accepting non essential visitors from UK, then you can go. Of course there may be other issues like getting back into the UK and health/travel insurance. If my travel and car insurance confirmed they would cover me for the trip I wouldnt have any hesitation in driving to SoF when the French border opens
Legally, he could stop you making the journey to the airport to get on a flight.

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
My impression of the message is that he talking of long haul holidays. I’m sure a quick flight over the channel is not a problem. Besides, visiting your property overseas to do all the necessaries is business not pleasure

Forty_Two

Visit site
Do you happen to know a very grumpy old French guy on a motor boat called Le Vengeur?
There is a 30ft ish motorboat opposite me, don't know the name. Older chap has two small dogs & seems to live on board. Could be him?

Managed to get a Bonjour out of him when he walks the dogs. He does stop to see what I'm doing sometimes.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
There is a 30ft ish motorboat opposite me, don't know the name. Older chap has two small dogs & seems to live on board. Could be him?

Managed to get a Bonjour out of him when he walks the dogs. He does stop to see what I'm doing sometimes.
I doubt it he's not a dog sort of bloke, he had very old Guy Couach .

Portofino

Visit site
My impression of the message is that he talking of long haul holidays. I’m sure a quick flight over the channel is not a problem. Besides, visiting your property overseas to do all the necessaries is business not pleasure
Yes it will be interesting to see a bit further down the release plan in Fr if they allow 2 nd home owners to move more than x distance first ......timed before the proper hol seasons .Of course for the proper hol season the hospitality industry has be be open .....hotels , caravan parks etc .
Ideally if so allow bigger boat owners ( same principle as 2 nd home owners re a bed to sleep ) to travel .
Just carry necessary proof like the rates bill in your name or marina service charge or what ever ?
French love bureaucracy and finding reasons to fine people .

Re Mat H .....agree it’s the big stuff like watching orangutang in Borneo , with a stop over in Mumbai’ a family of five perhaps taking 3 weeks out and hiring a boat off Madagascar .
Matts s gotta draw up quarantine rules to address that family when they arrive back London LHR and schools open .Mum + dad use the tube for work .

Hoping for some close alignment between the big EU touristy states + U.K. , we seem to already have reciprocal arrangements between Fr .
As I say mid June ish to start allow more through the Chunnel .....both ways Fr to U.K. as well .

julians

Visit site
You lot all seem to be "busting a gut" to get to your boats.
Aren't you more worried about actually catching the virus?

I'm not too concerned about catching it myself, I'm statistically highly likely to not be seriously ill from it, same goes for immediate family.

You can't eliminate all risk from life. If I was older or had other medical conditions I would take a different stance.

Hooligan

Visit site
I'm not too concerned about catching it myself, I'm statistically highly likely to not be seriously ill from it, same goes for immediate family.

You can't eliminate all risk from life. If I was older or had other medical conditions I would take a different stance.
Totally agree. It is tragic to see loss of life and as highlighted in this thread people have lost family members and friends. My Mother is in the high risk category. For what it is worth her view is that she would wish that people like her had a choice how to live the balance of their lives ie isolated or taking calculated chances and seeing their grandchildren etc etc. I respect that and the right of everyone to make this choice for themselves and we should all ensure that for those who wish to be cautious we create the ability for this to happen. Statistically - and not enough attention is being given to this - for anyone under 45 the chance of dying from this is not meaningful. For those above 45 and say less than 65 and healthy the statistics would indicate that there should be absolutely no fear - other than the type of fear one may have crossing a street, getting cancer or driving a car. Of course everyone has their own views and again these should be respected. i think there needs to be a lot more truthful balance in the news that is being disseminated.

Portofino

Visit site
No .
Hard to work out which countries better or worse odds wise ? The season will be over by the time scientists arrive at a consensus .
Activity wise ....@ home or boat similar risk wise .

My odds 99.97 % you will live so I’ll take them . Dead over population ....basic I know .
As I said 2015 seasonal flue in the U.K. killed 30,000 up from av 8000 and most on here never knew in 2015 it was happening all around them in the U.K. .

With Roulette it’s 50;% red or Black as a comparison .

You have already quite rightly said imho the journalists have sunk to a new lows in reporting ......and this is after a bonanza 2019 ...Brexit ,Mrs May fail = new Tory leader , WD agreement opening up , G election , 80seat majority + Labour leadership frenzy etc etc .

You would have thought they would have wanted to wind down the tempo ?

mcanderson

Visit site
Nope - more chance of dying from smoking and we don't smoke

Tobacco is the only legal drug that kills many of its users when used exactly as intended by manufacturers. WHO has estimated that tobacco use (smoking and smokeless) is currently responsible for the death of about six million people across the world each year with many of these deaths occurring prematurely

WHO global report on trends in tobacco smoking 2000-2025 - First edition

Let's get to the boat!!

Portofino

Visit site
Nope - more chance of dying from smoking and we don't smoke

Tobacco is the only legal drug that kills many of its users when used exactly as intended by manufacturers. WHO has estimated that tobacco use (smoking and smokeless) is currently responsible for the death of about six million people across the world each year with many of these deaths occurring prematurely

WHO global report on trends in tobacco smoking 2000-2025 - First edition

Let's get to the boat!!
And ......airbrush out premature deaths from Alcohol consumption ... :)

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I'm 53, not overweight (I've been on a diet!) and have no health conditions. From the statistics I've seen, the chances of dying if I contracted the disease are pretty slim enough that I'm not overly worried about catching it.

stelican

Visit site

You should be concerned about catching the virus,Perhaps not concerned for yourself but for the Nurses , Doctors etc who will have to care for you.

TonyR123

Visit site
Personally I am not worried about the virus, however like everyone else take steps to try and not catch it. Would love to be on the boat but it wont be quite the same currently. I tend to eat out in restaurants alot and none of those are open. I dont need to do any work as it has all be done a few weeks ago (lift, propspeed applied, anti foul, etc). I expect I will have to drive to Mallorca some time late Aug/early Sep as I dont think the missus will let me fly.