There is certainly a shortage of good secondhand boats at present as you will see.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
And dont forget the engine-----22 years old and how many hours? Seems easy to drum up nearly 1/3 of the asking price in potential looming expenditure but with boat prices as they are just now I bet it sells quickly.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Nice boat; it certainly looks well cared for in the photographs.

I hope that Doug is correct about the nature of the teak decks, but I fear that this is not the case. A quick look at a French Oceanis forum talks about the teak decks of a 411 being screwed as well as extremely well glued. Always possible that the technique changed during the life of the model, of course. If the deck appears ok, the main thing is to get the surveyor to be very attentive to humidity levels in the deck sandwich.

If you do buy it, it’ll be good to start off with new sails and rigging. As to the engine, unless the hours are very high,if it has been properly maintained it should still be good for many years to come.

steveeasy

Visit site
I viewed a contessa 32 several months ago. For sale at a very reasonable price. On closer inspection it needed top and bottom re paining. New standing rigging and a new engine. Such a shame but walked away. Thought it would sell quick in todays apparent buoyant market.
Nope still for sale. Not everything sells fast even if it’s The right design. Not everyone wants a full refit to do either.
Steveeasy

Hjem

Visit site
Thank you Doug, much appreciated. I'll ask some more about the deck on Sun, so thanks for the pointers. Also agree on the anchor and have looked at a 25kg Rocna. I'll also closely be inspecting the rode too. There is no bow thruster and given we'll be short handed most of the time, I will look into this. Thanks again.

Hjem

Visit site
Nice boat; it certainly looks well cared for in the photographs.

I hope that Doug is correct about the nature of the teak decks, but I fear that this is not the case. A quick look at a French Oceanis forum talks about the teak decks of a 411 being screwed as well as extremely well glued. Always possible that the technique changed during the life of the model, of course. If the deck appears ok, the main thing is to get the surveyor to be very attentive to humidity levels in the deck sandwich.

If you do buy it, it’ll be good to start off with new sails and rigging. As to the engine, unless the hours are very high,if it has been properly maintained it should still be good for many years to come.
Also my thinking Frogmog, no harm in having new sails and rigging, piece of mind comes with that. I just need to determine whether the sails in particular are factored into the asking price given the high cost of replacement. Thank you for the comments on the deck, I have a very thorough surveyor lined up, so will ask him to pay attention to this.

Minerva

Visit site
I'd suggest the market is still very strong.

I'm in the market for ~40ft sailing boat. Firstly what I'm after seems to be few and far between. The boats which do come up get snapped up quickly. There have been 3 boats I've been interested in this last 6ish weeks. The first 2, got sold the first couple of days before I could view.

The third I rearranged meetings, booked time off, hopped on a plane and viewed on the 4th day it was up. After the viewing, I went away to weigh up what I had just viewed and the broker phones me an hour after I left to say someone else just put down the deposit and it was off the market! (that last one hurts as it was perfect for my wants - my upbringing not to make rash decisions and to mull it over a cup of tea bit me on that boat!)

I'm personally hoping for a softening in demand in the not to distance future!

Pinnacle

Visit site
We owned a 2003 411 Celebration from 2008 until 2014. It’s a great all round boat. Ours was a 3 cabin version. I would be concerned the most about the teak deck. Even at 10 years old, ours was showing signs of wear - caulking was coming out of its grooves in high wear areas. Look carefully around the helm position. Don’t underestimate the time needEd and the cost of either replacing it or stripping it off and adding a non slip surface.

Finally, check very carefully that you can buy a radar set that is compatible with the plotters on board.

Good luck!

Visit site
Thanks again for all of the replies. On Sunday I'm viewing a Beneteau 411, year 2000. The boat looks to have been well cared for internally, though clear to see that investment in the boat has waned a little in recent years due to father time and the owner's declining health. Some info I've been able to find so far:

i) Standing rigging is original, therefore needs to be replaced. Quote estimated at 3k inc vat
ii) Sails are original, described as having 'two years left,' which I'm interpreting as they need to be replaced. Quote estimated at 5.2k inc vat.
iii) Given two items above, assuming that running rigging also will need to be replaced. assuming 0.6k
iv) No radar - widely varying figures seen for this, but assuming 2.5k
v) Windless is likely original and is currently not wired. Will want to see it wired and working, is it likely it will need to be replaced if 22 years old?
vi) Batteries need expansion for living aboard.
vii) Needs LED lighting throughout.

My biggest concern is the teak deck. I've read the forums extensively on this subject and there seems to be somewhat a consensus that they're definitely something to be 'aware of,' especially on a 22 year old boat. I will find out how she's been wintered etc, give a good visual inspection and if I decide to purchase will ask the surveyor to pay due attention. I would never consider replacing the teak deck due to cost and would therefore opt for removal and replacement with non-slip, but trying to find an indicative cost for this has provided widely ranging figures. Any experience of this procedure would be gratefully received. Also, any other comments are also warmly welcomed, a link to the boat advert is below.

2000 Beneteau Oceanis 411 Cruiser for sale - YachtWorld

She looks like a really nice boat. I was in your position last year and ended up buying a boat of a similar vintage (2000 Bav 38). Just a little smaller than yours and we have done a lot of the same jobs (were based in Essex but the prices may give you some idea):
Replaced standing rigging which was £3.6k inc vat
Replaced Genoa this was £3.3k inc vat I think the mainsail would be similar.
I’m currently pricing up the running rigging and don’t think I’d be able to do it for less than north of £1000 if I shopped around etc. I’ve tried looking at the discount sellers on eBay but I’ve not seen many 40m lengths for halyards etc.
What I didn’t account for was all of the other “bits”. When we did the house up it felt like you couldn’t go to B&Q without spending £50-£100. The boat was the same except it was £100-£200.
There was lots of bits we didn’t account for like Seacocks and Through Hulls. Our were showing signs of dezincification. Changed for Tru Design for I think £600ish? But this was doing the work ourselves.
In general if I was doing it again I’d have a £3k pot for stuff I hadn’t thought of before we bought the boat and add an extra 20% contingency to everything we did think of before buying the boat.
Looking back would I do the same again? Absolutely. First proper cruise this summer was amazing and the countless cheeky weekend sundowners sat in the cockpit make it all worthwhile.

Hjem

Visit site
She looks like a really nice boat. I was in your position last year and ended up buying a boat of a similar vintage (2000 Bav 38). Just a little smaller than yours and we have done a lot of the same jobs (were based in Essex but the prices may give you some idea):
Replaced standing rigging which was £3.6k inc vat
Replaced Genoa this was £3.3k inc vat I think the mainsail would be similar.
I’m currently pricing up the running rigging and don’t think I’d be able to do it for less than north of £1000 if I shopped around etc. I’ve tried looking at the discount sellers on eBay but I’ve not seen many 40m lengths for halyards etc.
What I didn’t account for was all of the other “bits”. When we did the house up it felt like you couldn’t go to B&Q without spending £50-£100. The boat was the same except it was £100-£200.
There was lots of bits we didn’t account for like Seacocks and Through Hulls. Our were showing signs of dezincification. Changed for Tru Design for I think £600ish? But this was doing the work ourselves.
In general if I was doing it again I’d have a £3k pot for stuff I hadn’t thought of before we bought the boat and add an extra 20% contingency to everything we did think of before buying the boat.
Looking back would I do the same again? Absolutely. First proper cruise this summer was amazing and the countless cheeky weekend sundowners sat in the cockpit make it all worthwhile.
Tremendous, thank you for the hints and very happy for you!

Concerto

Visit site
Also my thinking Frogmog, no harm in having new sails and rigging, piece of mind comes with that. I just need to determine whether the sails in particular are factored into the asking price given the high cost of replacement. Thank you for the comments on the deck, I have a very thorough surveyor lined up, so will ask him to pay attention to this.
Personally I would hold for a season to see if they do need replacing. This also spreads the cost of improvements a little.

Visit site
If it IS the original, 22 year old standing rigging, I’d just get on and have it changed.

I would agree with the standing rigging. Peace of mind and all that. In fact it was the only bit of getting my boat in the water that I didn’t do myself. I bought a heads’ l as the boat didn’t have one.
Arguably the main needs replacing, however at the moment the speed of the boat is probably impacted more by the skill of the skipper/crew than a marginal main sail.

jac

Visit site
Just one further point re Teak Decks - they may be ok now but do think ahead to resale. You don’t say how long you anticipate owning her but if you assume 10 years then you have got 30 year old teak decks and any potential buyer will factor that into any offer.

she may be your forever boat in which case ignore me but any thoughts of changing in future it will need to be considered.

Hjem

Visit site
Just one further point re Teak Decks - they may be ok now but do think ahead to resale. You don’t say how long you anticipate owning her but if you assume 10 years then you have got 30 year old teak decks and any potential buyer will factor that into any offer.

she may be your forever boat in which case ignore me but any thoughts of changing in future it will need to be considered.
Just to let you know, Jac, that this point you made was really helpful when looking at the boat yesterday. The broker reckoned there was 5 years left in the decks, about the length of time I'd expect to own the boat... when I suggested that this needs to be taken into consideration of the asking price, he declined but I could clearly see from his expression that he knew it's an issue. Thanks for the help!

jac

Visit site
Just to let you know, Jac, that this point you made was really helpful when looking at the boat yesterday. The broker reckoned there was 5 years left in the decks, about the length of time I'd expect to own the boat... when I suggested that this needs to be taken into consideration of the asking price, he declined but I could clearly see from his expression that he knew it's an issue. Thanks for the help!
My pleasure - glad my post helped.

I would expect a broker to say that, his job is toget the best sale for his client. So by all means factor it in but don’t be surprised if someone doesn’t and thenends up with an expensive bill in the future.

ithet

Visit site
Hjem,

A couple of answers to your points as I have a similar build 2004 Beneteau 331. Be aware that if the windlass is a Leroy Somner they are out of production and no parts are available at all. The interior lights are easily converted to led by fitting bulb replacements. I just have the cockpit teak, but is made in panels but quite thin and worn from previous cleaning. The panels are stuck down but my understanding is that these are difficult to remove.

Bajansailor

Visit site
his job is toget the best sale for his client.

At least one would think that this is normally the case.

However some years ago a pal of mine sold her yacht through a French broker in the Caribbean - he had a fixed fee for handling the sale (not a percentage of the sale price).
And we later found out that he was in cahoots with the Buyer, and he came down hard on my friend when the Buyer offered 10k euros less than the price they had previously agreed on, telling her to accept the offer - and this was after the boat had been delivered to the Buyer in one of the French islands as agreed. By then he had her over the proverbial barrel (it is a long story), so she had to agree.

Hjem

Visit site
Not as many boats coming onto the market as would have been expected at this time of the year, but perhaps I'm too impatient!

This Moody has just come onto the market and am considering to organise a viewing. Any general comments welcome, but this boat seems to have a good reputation. I did notice that there seemed to be a fair amount of corrosion on the engine, I have limited experience with engines... is this an issue to be concerned with?

Moody 44 For Sale, 13.41m, 1992 (boatshed.com)

Tranona

Visit site
It is what it is. Highly desirable in its day and still a good choice for serious cruising for a couple. Looks very tidy and well maintained. The engine looks fine for 30 years old!. Spares still available at reasonable cost, but the engine is a bit unrefined by modern standards. Was also sold as Volvo MD22. The base engine was a Perkins/British Leyland used in the Maestro/Montego and various vans.

Neyland is a lovely place if rather a long way from anywhere. I bought my current boat there last year through the same broker. Suspect the boat will sell very quickly.