There is certainly a shortage of good secondhand boats at present as you will see.

jac

Visit site
Well i found one last week and have had offer accepted so there are still some good ones out there - Just need to be quick i think.

That said, i get the impression that there are more starting to appear and maybe hang around for a a while. Maybe seasonal - putting in an offer now will be no real season left by the time the sale has worked through which i think turns down the urgency from buyers!

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
In the 1970's inflation, largely caused by the blockage of the Suez canal, boats went up in price as prices overall went up. In 1974 I sold a boat for £600 hoping to get a larger one for £1250 a couple of years later when our 2nd child would have been two. In fact the £1250 boat had become £5000 by 1976 so I could only afford half a boat and had to go into partnership.
I think the same will happen again. Price will go up but real value will be diminished as inflation reduces buying power of money.

SaltyC

Visit site
In the 1970's inflation, largely caused by the blockage of the Suez canal, boats went up in price as prices overall went up. In 1974 I sold a boat for £600 hoping to get a larger one for £1250 a couple of years later when our 2nd child would have been two. In fact the £1250 boat had become £5000 by 1976 so I could only afford half a boat and had to go into partnership.
I think the same will happen again. Price will go up but real value will be diminished as inflation reduces buying power of money.
I remember my Uncle buying an Elizabethan 31 for £6K (Rounding applies) in 71, selling in 76 for £13k unfortunately with inflation the value had only stood still, no profit when moorings and maintenance were considered AND the price of the upgrade.

hurley

Visit site
Screenshot_20220918-125112_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220918-125112_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220918-125156_Chrome.jpg An AWB for just a tad more than a smaller older boat which in itself looks charming. I would be happy with either boat but it's interesting to observe how close the asking prices are.

Last edited:

SoulFireMage

richardgriffiths.azurewebsites.net
I'm still seeing some who clearly bought only to flip* , and as a result refuse to consider an offer or even respond with a counter offer. To me, they merely add some artificial price rise rather than value to the market.

This suggests that, in their minds, their plan to recoup their costs in full is still viable.

*by this I mean buy with no particular investment to improve or renovate, merely to sell on at a higher price vs those who buy to improve and resell. Probably subject of another post sometime.