The Truth About Sailing On The Algarve

nortada

Visit site
Phone Tariffs In The Algarve.

As the Connect 3 saga rumbles on, looking for the best alternative in The Algarve.

I understand that Vodafone Portugal is offering an unlimited data access, pay-as-you go sim, €10 for 10 days? Does this include roaming? If so this could be one of the cheapest options for heavy data download (streaming TV?) in Europe. Certainly beats any offer in Spain, so friends in Spain but near the boarder (Ayamonte, San Lucar) could consider using the Vodafone sim card.

Anybody know of any better deals?

Last edited:

RAI

Visit site
Re: Phone Tariffs In The Algarve.

Anybody know of any better deals?
I have two NOS SIMs and a MEO one for Portugal and a Tuenti SIM for Spain, all pre-pay. I used to use Vodafone for Spain, but Tuenti has the advantage of on-line top up from any credit card. The tariffs change so frequently that I can't keep up but they are all cheaper than my Orange home post-pay contract SIM for data. All of them demand nasty money for data roaming. Hence I buy local SIMs.

nortada

Visit site
Re: Why?

Interesting.

Not exactly short of beaches in this area. Praia Alvor is 4km long but vehicular assess is not easy along its total length.

I assume the beach area they intend to extend will be within the Ria rather than in open water (off Praia Alvor)?

More beach area in town would equal more people which would equal more cars in the town - the last thing Alvor needs.

As to navigation, having used Alvor many times, we have never had any problem with navigation but the starboard red does need moving slightly east as the best water is on the wrong side of the buoy.

Can't see how removing the sand/silt but not the sources (local towns/villages feeding into the Ribeira de Odiaxere and Ribeira do Farelo) with their ever increasing population will clean up the water in the Ria?

No doubt the EU will end up paying for this venture. :)

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Then And Now.

This thread was started over 4 years ago to try to pull together strands affecting boating in the Algarve and up the River Guadiana.

The first post raised a number of issues but the one that was really exercising minds was the Portuguese Authorities involvement with foreign flagged vessels. Although there were numerous anecdotal stories doing the rounds, we never got any first hand experiences of unreasonable behaviour following a boarding at sea.

My impression is that 287 posts later over the last 3 seasons, we have heard far fewer (if any) stories of boarding and subsequent action so do they still continue or have the authorities turned their interests elsewhere?

One issue that does still bugs us out west is the procurement of new flares.

Although required to carry in-date flare, because of restrictions on carriage, storing and resale, it is virtually impossible to legally replace and get rid of out-dated flares. Roll on the electronic flare option becoming an accepted alternative!

Last edited:

GrahamM376

Visit site
Re: Then And Now.

Although required to carry in-date flare, because of restrictions on carriage, storing and resale, it is virtually impossible to legally replace and get rid of out-dated flares. Roll on the electronic flare option becoming an accepted alternative!

I hear there is a supplier in Portimao (maybe without license to purchase) but ours came from John in Ayamonte, OK to buy over the counter in Spain. Old flares were handed in to Policia Maritima in Faro.

Visit site

This thread was started over 4 years ago to try to pull together strands affecting boating in the Algarve and up the River Guadiana.

The first post raised a number of issues but the one that was really exercising minds was the Portuguese Authorities involvement with foreign flagged vessels. Although there were numerous anecdotal stories doing the rounds, we never got any first hand experiences of unreasonable behaviour following a boarding at sea.

My impression is that 287 posts later over the last 3 seasons, we have heard far fewer (if any) stories of boarding and subsequent action so do they still continue or have the authorities turned their interests elsewhere?

The one big interest of the PM (Sea Police) at the moment is lifejackets when fishing - one reads every week of people being fined - the law is quite clear - when anyone is fishing all those above deck are required to wear an lj.

nortada

Visit site

The one big interest of the PM (Sea Police) at the moment is lifejackets when fishing - one reads every week of people being fined - the law is quite clear - when anyone is fishing all those above deck are required to wear an lj.

Above deck - I assume these are commercial fishing boats, unlikely to effect a yacht trailing a cod line?

It is unlikely that the PM would even spot the line but in the less than likely event of a catch, it might be a good idea to don a life jacket whilst retrieving supper. :D :encouragement:

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site

ANYONE fishing, moving or on anchor/mooring, regardless of boat size or type.

When afloat a boat is either underway (moving), at anchor or on a mooring so when on a boat the only time you do not have to wear a life jacket (LJ) is when the boat is on the hard?

When going ashore from your marina berth where do you check your LJ or do you continue to wear it around Pingos (etc.)?

Last edited:

Visit site

When afloat a boat is either underway (moving), at anchor or on a mooring so when on a boat the only time you do not have to wear a life jacket (LJ) is when the boat is on the hard?

That is assuming that you are fishing all the time - I've met some keen fishermen but you must be hooked.

GrahamM376

Visit site

When going ashore from your marina berth where do you check your LJ or do you continue to wear it around Pingos (etc.)?

OK, so I could have made it a bit clearer but you know we were talking about "when fishing". :)

Going ashore, the LJs remain in the dinghy seat bag where they always are. Regs say we only have to have them in the dinghy, not wear them. Stupid isn't it? - LJ must be worn while fishing on large anchored boat but not in an inflatable whatever the conditions.

nortada

Visit site

OK, so I could have made it a bit clearer but you know we were talking about "when fishing". :)

Going ashore, the LJs remain in the dinghy seat bag where they always are. Regs say we only have to have them in the dinghy, not wear them. Stupid isn't it? - LJ must be worn while fishing on large anchored boat but not in an inflatable whatever the conditions.

Well it is Portugal. :encouragement: