The Rocks access

phatcat1

Visit site
Does anyone know if The Rocks on the Deben are accessible by road/track at all?

We will be there the weekend after next, but friends who were coming will now not be sailing, but still want to join us!

Does anyone know if there is any other way to get there?

Leighb

Visit site
The short answer is not easily.

The nearest point by road is Ramsholt church, (or possibly Ramsholt Lodge Farm although that is probably a private road) from there there are footpaths, but not very direct, unless you use non public right of way tracks.

I should also mention that the last time I walked the riverside path it had a severe stinging nettle problem in some sections, you need long trousers and sleeves /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Best to look at a large scale OS map of the area to get the details.

Leighb

Visit site
Yes it is a private lane. It may be of interest that Robert Simper who has published many books about the East Coast lives there I believe.

MrCramp

Visit site
There is no easy access, the land around it is private.

Easiest way is to get them to drive to Ramsholt and park the car in the top car park. Pick them up from Ramsholt Dock if the tide is in, or in the dinghy from the concrete landing jetty if no water. Pick up a mooring upstream of the dock whilst you do the dinghy work. The harbourmaster, George Collins, or his brother Bill, likely to be on "Brio" the small yacht moored near the end of the landing, does like you to ask permission to pick up a mooring and if you explain it is just to pick someone up there should be no problem.