The Richmond Inn

Driftwood Boat Blog

Visit site
Hi all,
If you happen to find yourself cruising the Irish inland waterways, (and that's something that should be on every serious boaters bucket list) you would do well to visit the Richmond Inn in Clondra, close to Tarmonbarry.

This Inn is at the last harbour on the Royal Canal close to the point where the Royal Canal meets the River Shannon. We dropped into this pub for lunch the other week and immediately we were struck by the number of workmen who had done likewise.

That is always a good indication of good food and reasonable prices. And those indications were spot on. The food was not fanciful but it was excellently cooked and served. My meal of local roast lamb would not have won an art competition as so many gastro pubs seem to try to aim for.

It was what the locals described an "a grand feed". For €10 we got a full dinner that completely filled the plate (you also got a bowl of potatoes, I guess there wasn't room on the plate!) That was followed by a big mug of tea that came with a small chocolate treat bar. Different I'll grant you but after a hard morning boating it really set us up for the rest of the day.

If you've visited the Richmond Inn please let me know what you thought of the food, and no I have no connection with it, just popped in for lunch and was well impressed with the place.
Harry