The real reason to lower the ensign at night!

chubby

www.flickr.com
Sometimes I do if somewhere smart where folk might notice, sometimes I don`t if anchored somewhere remote, this week I didn`t for a few days and have now learnt my lesson: the pine ensign staff has swollen in the SS socket and won`t budge, any attempts to use a wrench just damages the wood despite covering with a rag so I have had to leave the staff sticking up at the stern with the ensign taken off, now maybe if I had moved it each day......

guernseyman

Visit site
I don't have that problem any more.
A few years ago in Cherbourg something on an Englishman's boat caught my ensign staff and broke it. (This was observed by a neighbour). The Englishman eventually arrived, assessed the damage, disappeared, and returned with a staff with a metal-sleeved end to the staff which exactly fitted my holder.

CCJ

Visit site
Sometimes I do if somewhere smart where folk might notice, sometimes I don`t if anchored somewhere remote, this week I didn`t for a few days and have now learnt my lesson: the pine ensign staff has swollen in the SS socket and won`t budge, any attempts to use a wrench just damages the wood despite covering with a rag so I have had to leave the staff sticking up at the stern with the ensign taken off, now maybe if I had moved it each day......

A teak pole is the answer :encouragement:

maby

Visit site
They didn't give us one with the new boat and I have not got round to buying one yet - so it's not a problem that I'm too concerned with at the moment!

Pump-Out

Visit site

Unscrew fitting. Take ensign staff and fitting home. Leave in airing-cupboard 3/4 days.
Bob will be a relation.

Hoolie

Visit site
Our boat's in French waters so not having an ensign isn't an option when we're sailing.

AFAIK the tradition originated in the 1700's when budgets were tight and ensigns were brought in at night to save wear and tear. Our boat's in a windy region and we do likewise!

PaulJS

Visit site
AFAIK, the official HM Forces reason for lowering the ensign at night was because, generally it's too dark to see it, but really it was just so that some poor nugget had to stamp around on deck when he could have been drinking his cocoa!
I believe that the ceremony started originally at Samuel Pepys' direction.. (trivia alert!)

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I recently dried out and revarnished our staff and now it fits the holder perfectly. however, the first time removing it I dropped the wee knurly plastic bit that holds it in in the oggin ! Any ideas for a replacement?

- W

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Our boat's in French waters so not having an ensign isn't an option when we're sailing.

AFAIK the tradition originated in the 1700's when budgets were tight and ensigns were brought in at night to save wear and tear. Our boat's in a windy region and we do likewise!

I was quite surprised how much the ensign on Capricious wore during our journey from the Clyde, when it was deployed much more than it usually is (if we're just aboard for the weekend, I often forget!).

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I had that trouble on the previous boat until I had a stainless steel staff made with a mounting for the AIS antenna on top.
The new boat came with a hardwood ensign staff fitted with a bronze ferrule at the base which is a neat fit in the socket on the pushpit. - Proper job!

Frogmogman

Visit site
AFAIK, the official HM Forces reason for lowering the ensign at night was because, generally it's too dark to see it, but really it was just so that some poor nugget had to stamp around on deck when he could have been drinking his cocoa!
I believe that the ceremony started originally at Samuel Pepys' direction.. (trivia alert!)

But then, if you are pulling down the duster as the band of the Royal Marines beat the retreat, it is far from being a chore.

harry potter

Visit site
What is the etiquette when one's neighbour in the marina leaves the boat without taking in the ensign? Is restoring it to a less obstrusive location under the hood a capital offence?

Last edited: