? the most uninviting toilet block in a marina, nominate yours

Poignard

Visit site
I can't remember where it was in Holland but you had to supply your own loo paper. If only I had known beforehand .
Always worth carrying some in your toilet bag in France because :
a) a few places don't provide it, eg Rieux, and
b) many more use Tork dispensers which frequently fail to work, leaving the paper tantalisingly on view but unable to be withdrawn. ?

RupertW

Visit site
Those in the inner marina at Douarnenez were pretty grim when I last visited that port.
Not improved by having been vandalised.
You beat me to it - not quite at the dirty protest level that we found in Concarneau but definitely make one remember every grainy prison film.

We try to pick our base marina each year with at least ok lavatories but always shower on board and never use the marina loos when away from our base.

Poignard

Visit site
You beat me to it - not quite at the dirty protest level that we found in Concarneau but definitely make one remember every grainy prison film.

We try to pick our base marina each year with at least ok lavatories but always shower on board and never use the marina loos when away from our base.
Our Twister is too small to accomodate the almost unimaginable luxury of a shower but my wife manages perfectly well with a bowl of hot water and a flannel whenever the marina sanitaires are not up to scratch as regards cleanliness or water temperature. ;)

TSB240

Visit site
Dinorwic Marina was promised quality upgrades to the facilities 5 years ago.

The improved appearance and showers are mitigated by regular blockage of the sewage pipes causing raw sewage to appear at the feet of ladies taking a shower.

Those in the know use the disabled toilet and shower.?

penfold

Visit site
Port Fuad yacht club, 2001; dangling live wiring, standing pools of water, squat toilets, lethally sharp metalwork everywhere and tiling you're guaranteed to stub your toe on.

The old facilities at Tarbert Loch Fyne were pretty grim(always clean though), the new ones are very nice.

Poignard

Visit site
Do you mean that you get wiped down too, or go without?
Regrettably, the days of our enjoying shared ablutions are long gone.

Nowadays I am sent to try out the marina facilities and report back.

If I return, shivering wth cold and with an expression of disgust on my face, out comes the washbasin and flannel.

Her sybaritic tendencies also include doing her washing with a fan heater on.

sailorman

Visit site
Ramsgate - they’ve just refurbed the toilet and shower block for the outer marina. Scalding hot water in the showers, no temperature adjustment and a push button shower valve that lasts around 10 seconds at a time. It’s like a campsite in the 1980s. :D

The best I’ve ever seen are at Suffolk Yacht Harbour.
?
?

michael_w

Visit site
Milford Haven marina shower floor has no fall to the drain so it ponds 3 inches deep. gumboots required.

SaltyC

Visit site
You do Tarbert a disservice. The new facility block, built about three years ago, is well up to standard.
Agreed. 10? Years ago Tarbert Loch Fyne less than desirable. We spent 15 mins alongside SWMBO Decreed NO and went to Portavadie - got a thumbs up even with facilities in portacabin
This year, with new facilities at Tarbert 11 out of 10.

Yngmar

Visit site
While the Central Toilet Paper Dispenser in Almerimar deserves mention, the worst experience I've had somewhere in Normandy in the early years of our adventures. Might've been Fecamp, but not sure anymore. I remember the floors were painted blue. They were also inclined towards the showers, which had a central gutter drain running the length of the room under the cabins.

I was in one of those cabins trying to have a shower with the half broken showerhead when, based on the behaviour and noise, the local rugby team came in, shouting, banging doors and attempting to use the pissoir on the opposite wall of the showers. Unfortunately they weren't very good at this, so they mostly just pissed on the floor. Which was inclined. Towards the showers. So there's me, standing tiptoes on the far side of the shower cabin separated by the central gutter, torrents of piss flowing down the floor towards it from outside. Memorable experience.

In fact, the more time I spend using public facilities, the more I am convinced that women are right about us men being pigs. A fair share anyways. Don't get me started about how many people in adjacent toilets I hear taking a nice big morning ?, saving the planet by wiping once and then going straight for the door, no water or soap wasted. I try not to touch the door handle.

These days, if we ever go to a marina, we take one look at the bathrooms first and if it's awful or has a coin operated timer (after you paid a small fortune for a night in their boat parking lot), we just go use our transom shower, which is also much better ventilated.

PhillM

Visit site
Yarmouth, IOW is quite smart. At the moment, Lymington Town Quay may be the worst I can think of. Due for an upgrade I am told.

All upgraded now. Not bad and definitely better than before but get quite heavily used and I think they are only cleaned once a day. Needs to be more often in high season.

sailorman

Visit site
Our Twister is too small to accomodate the almost unimaginable luxury of a shower but my wife manages perfectly well with a bowl of hot water and a flannel whenever the marina sanitaires are not up to scratch as regards cleanliness or water temperature. ;)
when we jaad
Cowd used a 210ltr water with ea water andsi msrsable pump. The it wprmevery well d
delivery hose wkga reh rose with o. The lglevery rose a with on off lever