? the most uninviting toilet block in a marina, nominate yours

Concerto

Visit site
I could not believe a modern marina, opened in 2000, could have such a toilet block.

IMG_6094 1000pix.jpg
Looks like its from a prison cell

IMG_6095 1000pix.jpg
All stainless steel, but why?

IMG_6096 1000pix.jpg
The shower is either on or off, not control of the temperature, and it has a timer that cut out before I had finished plus a
rusty shower rail with a curtain that wanted to hang outside the tray.

This is Douglas Marina, IOM. Yes, it is council run. They also run Peel Marina and that is luxury by comparison.

Can anyone nominate a worse one?

SaltyC

Visit site
I could not believe a modern marina, opened in 2000, could have such a toilet block.

View attachment 141090
Looks like its from a prison cell

View attachment 141091
All stainless steel, but why?

View attachment 141092
The shower is either on or off, not control of the temperature, and it has a timer that cut out before I had finished plus a
rusty shower rail with a curtain that wanted to hang outside the tray.

This is Douglas Marina, IOM. Yes, it is council run. They also run Peel Marina and that is luxury by comparison.

Can anyone nominate a worse one?
Concerto, my wife would wholeheartedly agree. She hates Douglas, yet as you say Peel is good, even though prices have increased astronomically in the last few years.

Donheist

Visit site
Try Marina del Sole in Cagliari, Sardinia. The above is frankly lux in comparison.
True that! We booked to winter there . We stayed 3 days stepping over the bridges between pontoons bringing the fun of an assault course to your trip to town. And You have to ask the guy for a key to use the loo. It reminded me of the shawshank redemption where Red keeps asking “restroom break boss?” The thing that tipped us over was when they said they charged for garbage by the kilo. Since some of that garbage is coming out of the heads my wife said “no way. I’m paying the extra grand for Portus Karalis where they don’t ask you to weigh your used loo roll”. It’s also nearer town. Turned out to be a lousy decision in September 2019. We really didn’t get a lot of use out of that prime location…

Donheist

Visit site
My most surprisingly bad one was aix-en-France aka Montecarlo for the cheap seats. A stones throw from Monaco with ice machines on every pontoon but lousy facilities. Then we twigged - most people wouldn’t dream of using the communal loos when they probably have baths on board. But I do remember it was very reasonable rates given the location…

Clancy Moped

Visit site
True that! We booked to winter there . We stayed 3 days stepping over the bridges between pontoons bringing the fun of an assault course to your trip to town. And You have to ask the guy for a key to use the loo. It reminded me of the shawshank redemption where Red keeps asking “restroom break boss?” The thing that tipped us over was when they said they charged for garbage by the kilo. Since some of that garbage is coming out of the heads my wife said “no way. I’m paying the extra grand for Portus Karalis where they don’t ask you to weigh your used loo roll”. It’s also nearer town. Turned out to be a lousy decision in September 2019. We really didn’t get a lot of use out of that prime location…
Come on now, it's not that good! It's the only place I've packed a grab bag in port, because we thought the place was just going to collapse in a F9.

[2574]

Visit site
Camaret, the “ facilities“ close to the visitors berths are underneath the castle - it’s almost a dungeon with no natural light or ventilation.
The other set of facilities close the locals berths are not much better, but at least they have windows.
Even the Capitainiere was embarrassed, but it’s council run……..
Camaret facilities were pre-historic, just as you describe, in 2003, are they really no better 19 years on?

dgadee

Visit site
Brighton Marina when I was first there in the 1980s and, still, in 2014. You shower beside someone who is sitting on the toilet in the next cubicle.

mrming

instagram.com
Ramsgate - they’ve just refurbed the toilet and shower block for the outer marina. Scalding hot water in the showers, no temperature adjustment and a push button shower valve that lasts around 10 seconds at a time. It’s like a campsite in the 1980s. :D

The best I’ve ever seen are at Suffolk Yacht Harbour.

lustyd

Visit site
At least you get a marina with it. Salcombe was £11 a night to anchor in raw sewage and they have one shower. I really don't remember Douglas being that bad, must have been the local cider "Jenny Lay Back" clouding my memory